Towing capability & Motorcycle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2009, 09:43 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I'm new on the group, learning about travel trailers. I've never had one before, though my wife and her dad used a fifth wheel in the past.

I currently own a 2004 Accura MDX with a tow capacity of 3,500 lbs. My other car is a Mini Cooper that giggles when you mention towing trailers. So the MDX is the work horse.

I'm currently leaning toward the 16' Casita style of trailers, but have only begun my learning curve, so I'm looking and looking.

My question is, is it possible to bring along a 500 lb motorcycle in addition to a 2000 lb travel trailer? If so, how is this done?
Nigel Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:06 AM   #2

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Nigel,
I asked my trusted and true Van/Trailer Conversion shop the same basic question, as I have a 4cyl Subaru Legacy Outback towing a 1400 fiberglass Compact II (loaded for camping weight). They told me the only way to tow my 240 lb. 150cc Vespa would be to take off the handlebars and gently move those wide Renoiur hips up a MC ramp, through the BACK door (operative word is BACK door...which not many of our EGGIES have) and cushion it upright in that hallway area of my 13' trailer. It's a high enough bike, where the handlebars have room to go over the kitchen sink area and not hit the privacy room on the other side. If you have a side door, there's no way in heaven, you can twist and turn a MC to fit in the hallway (at least I can't picture it!).

They strongly cautioned me, that if I mounted a MC rack on the back of my Subaru or the back of my fiberglass trailer, I'm going to wreck my engine by putting lots of wear and tear on it, etc. They strongly told me NOT to mount a bike. I'm curious what others have to say on your topic.
Barbara

bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
They strongly told me NOT to mount a bike. I'm curious what others have to say on your topic.
Barbara

I'm curious too. Thank you for answering Barbara.

Nigel
Nigel Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 05:37 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
I too, lament not being able to bring my People 150 scooter. I make do with my mountain bike and have been looking at some of the electric or gas bicycle conversion thingee's to make it a bit easier for my aging knees.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:26 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
It ain't pretty, and you'd have to beef up the egg frame considerably, but here's your answer, welded to the bumper -- It's not a trailer, it is a modification to extend your egg:

http://www.idahotote.com/
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
For $6,000 I think I would find any of several alternatives. Yeah, it's nice, but who wants to spend that kind of money on something just to tow a bike around on, not to mention that it looks kinda awkward to try and back up with as well. For $6,000 I think its just too much of a "white elephant" expense for most folks.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #7

Here's a different approach which may not work for a conventional trailer, because it uses a receiver hitch, although the site shows it on a 5W, it seems to be mostly intended for a motor home, etc. That's preliminary guesswork on my part, which is countered by the site saying that it won't jack-knife while backing -- I'll have to read the FAQ.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html

BTW, kudos to this manufacturers for the long note in RED about misapplication of the product! If only RV and tow vehicle salespersons were as candid...

It includes this statement "Toys are getting larger and heavier, and customers want to take their toys with them. Unfortunately, there are times that they can't without the possibility of a problem. Sometimes, its better to upgrade to a different RV than risk damage to one that does not have the capability to carry the cargo."
Old 03-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #8

Quote:
For $6,000 I think I would find any of several alternatives. Yeah, it's nice, but who wants to spend that kind of money on something just to tow a bike around on, not to mention that it looks kinda awkward to try and back up with as well. For $6,000 I think its just too much of a "white elephant" expense for most folks.
It depends on how badly one wants to have both an egg and a cycle -- My brother just puts his Hardly in a Wells Cargo trailer behind his small motorhome -- Probably cost him somewhere in the neighborhood of $6K.

BTW, the Idaho Tote on egg would be no more awkward to back than a long trailer; it's NOT a trailer, pivoting at the bumper but an extension, supported by wheels, of the egg -- It has more than one attachment point on bumper.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:35 AM   #9

Trailer: Former 1978 Trillium 4500 owner (now 2010 R-pod)
the easiest thing to do would be to trade your MDX in on a pickup - problem solved
Old 03-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #10

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
Greetings!
For two summers my oldest son insisted on taking his Tomas Targa moped along on trips. We managed to load it via the side door and blocked it up facing rearward in the center aisle using folding chairs and our drinking water bottle. We had to take our time loading and unloading (with two people committed to the task)it so we didn't scratch up the interior but with the moped centered above the axle, we had no effect on the towing characteristics. A heavier bike might not have been so manageable.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Lil Bunk 18 ft / 1975 IH Scout II
It looks like $6,000 is just the beginning. From the Idaho Tote web site:

"If the Tote is to be installed behind a travel trailer, you must purchase the Hensley Arrow Hitch accessory. (*)"

"(*) We manufacture our Tote as an attachment with a tag axle. Clarify with your state. Please call or email us for more information."

Last time I looked at the Hen$ley Arrow, I got a bad ca$e of $ticker $hock.

Another issue to consider, is the frame strength on a light weight trailer. Is there enough metal in the frame to handle the additional weight and road stress?
Russ & Marian McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #12

Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
Here's a different approach which may not work for a conventional trailer, because it uses a receiver hitch, ...

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel.html...
Wish it showed pictures of their hitch that allows for up and down movement but not side to side.

for 700 bucks you can buy one of their swivel wheels and make your own cart. A regular trailer ball hitch with added hinged bars allow up/down but no side side a creative welder should be able to make you rather easy.

Actually a creative welder should be able to make you one of the swivel wheels like their's pretty easy too. two trailer hubs (one for verticle tire and one for swivel below trailer deck) and some creative welding should do the trick.

below is description of how it possibly could be done. Visual description

Trailer deck
one trailer hub mounted horizontal to deck/frame (reinforced mounting of course)
Verticle fork(s) welded to steel plate* bolted to hub above
trailer hub mounted verticle fork(s)
Trailer tire mounted on hub
------Earth---------

*could be a used trailer rim chopped and diced

ok damit..... now you got me thinking LOL. PROJECT (for someday) perfect solution for toteing things behind my VW golf diesel
Coach George Jessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #13

Trailer:
Adding a non-steering trailer behind your egg does mean that the cargo weight doesn't get put on the egg's axle. But you are still hanging the cargo (and trailer) weight out the back of your egg, as far as side-to-side sway is concerned.

So the crash will be caused by sway, not by failure of the egg's axle.....

Andrew
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Ok, I just gotta ask a few questions? ummmmm, Are you thinking of buying a new or newer Casita? if so I don't know about 2000 pounds, our 2007 weight is 2800 pounds Not loaded! That was the weight from the truck scales so I would say that it's pretty accurate. Is your car tow cap with or without vehicle occupants? Are you thinking of taking anything with you such as a lawnchair or ice chest? You might have to look into other fiberglass options. Or do what Phil suggested. Just want you safe! I know last summer at the Oregon Rally there was a weight in, and the weights were posted, but I can't seem to find the post, it might help to give you ideas of weights of several different manufactures. Good Luck!

I agree with Phil!

Ok, now I just have to say, not taking the motorcycle weight into consideration, just welding anything on to carry the motorcycle is gonna add more weight which will take away from your tow cap.
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #15

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We often carry an ATV that weighs more than your bike in the bed of our pickup, along with towing our trailer. Sadly, the best option, if you want both the bike and the trailer, is to trade one vehicle for a half-ton with tow package, in my opinion.
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:38 PM   #16

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita
Quote:
I'm new on the group, learning about travel trailers. I've never had one before, though my wife and her dad used a fifth wheel in the past.

I currently own a 2004 Accura MDX with a tow capacity of 3,500 lbs. My other car is a Mini Cooper that giggles when you mention towing trailers. So the MDX is the work horse.

I'm currently leaning toward the 16' Casita style of trailers, but have only begun my learning curve, so I'm looking and looking.

My question is, is it possible to bring along a 500 lb motorcycle in addition to a 2000 lb travel trailer? If so, how is this done?
I have a 17' Casita and a 535# MC. The frame will not let yu tow a second trailer or mount a rack on either end. Only solution is pickup. I dearly miss our 38' Beaver with 27' cargo behind.
James G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #17

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
I gave this considerable thought a few years ago. I initially thought about modifying an egg to have a back door, but decided that wasn't a good idea for several reasons: "Floor of egg not built to support that sort of weight" was the big one - but there were others. So, I eventually decided to approach the problem from the opposite direction. I found a nice cargo trailer (It's a HiPoint trailer, fiberglass structure with an internal steel frame supporting it) and built it to be a camper. That way I could place everything exactly where I wanted it, get everything out of the way of the bike (and handlebars), have the side beds fold up etc etc. It's not as built-out as a typical camper, but it does OK.

Course - pretty much as soon as I got started on that the twin girls came along, plans changed and I really haven't had a chance to use it. Anybody in the market for a miniature toy hauler?

mkw
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote