Towing capacity - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #1

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Hello,

I just bought a 2010 journey and the towing capacity is 1000 pounds. I have a uhaul ct13, i know it is around 1300 pounds empty. Does anyone knows if manufacturer used a large buffer zone as for the tow rating? In other terms, would it be risky to tow my uhaul?

Seems like a strange question but my garage guy tells me there is no problems and I am not sure about it...

Thanks for your reply's

Fred

Old 01-20-2013, 09:36 PM   #2

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I presume he will be doing the repairs?

Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 PM   #3

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
There is no problem as long as your dont have a serious accident and the findings are that the cause of it was you knowingly towed over your cars specs. You may want to read the very fine print in your insurance policy very carefully in that regard. You may also want to ask any party that tells you its "no problem" if they are going to help pay for your legal costs etc should they be wrong.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Well in my opinion it's not a good towing combo. First off your 300 pounds over (that's if your trailer weighs in at 1300 pounds, you never know till you weigh it!) And your gonna pack camping gear, food, water and gas etc etc and expect to be able to tow? Hmmmmm, don't see it being a ideal combo at all................. Please tell me your not packing up a car load of kids as well............ ?

Your also taking a huge risk with your tranny, brakes, etc..........

Do you know what your tongue weight is?
Old 01-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
There is no problem as long as your dont have a serious accident and the findings are that the cause of it was you knowingly towed over your cars specs. You may want to read the very fine print in your insurance policy very carefully in that regard. You may also want to ask any party that tells you its "no problem" if they are going to help pay for your legal costs etc should they be wrong.
So true Carol. Several years ago I remember a very unhappy camper on the airstream forums that totaled his newer model Airstream due to snow or ice storm (can't remember specifics). State Farm denied the claim because his tow vehicle was over the vehicles max towing capacity.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 PM   #6

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I suggest you call Can-Am RV (in Toronto, I think) and ask if they think it can be set up for towing your trailer. They have much experience with this sort of thing and may have some insights about the Journey. It may need a custom hitch or some other additions; then again, it may not.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 PM   #7

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Fred, Im hopeing this isn't your only vehicle? Why buy something below your towing capacity...it could be dangerous.

deryk
Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 AM   #8

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Thanks for your reply! I was just curious about it since I got a ''there is no problem's'' from my mecanics. So I will not use this one as my tow vehicule.

I do have my old caravan as a back-up!

Thanks to all for your comments. This is why i love this forum, always get the right answer.

Fred
Old 01-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #9

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Don't let the fear mongers get ya. Other versions of this vehicle are rated for 2500 #. Put a transmission cooler on it if it is an automatic and enjoy your UHaul.

Fear Mongers: If you disagree with my suggestion, sue me.
Attached Thumbnails
brochure p1.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 09:57 AM   #10

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Don't let the fear mongers get ya. Other versions of this vehicle are rated for 2500 #. Put a transmission cooler on it if it is an automatic and enjoy your UHaul.

Fear Mongers: If you disagree with my suggestion, sue me.
Agree.

I towed with a Scion xD with a zero pound tow rating (in the US) and my Scamp towed beautifully. It stopped safely, too. Oil analysis showed that there was no undue stress on the engine. In fact, it showed much lower wear metals than average for that type of engine. However, that might have been due to the RedLine oil that I used.

People are quick to criticize when hailing kids, but they'll haul kids in a death trap Jeep Wrangler or 90s pickup truck.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I wouldn't worry about the "Fear Mongers" either but, if I had intentionally exceeded a manufacturers towing limit in 2013, I would be concerned with the insurance company, and the other guys lawyers, after even a minor accident. They don't care what "Other versions" are rated at, if yours isn't, it isn't.....
Old 01-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #12

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
The Journey is a relatively large car with a relatively small 4CYL engine.
The same chassis with the 6CYL is rated at 3500# for towing.
Soft accelleration and low towing speeds(under 60MPH) should mitigate any excessive strain on the lighter drive train.

As for the "legal" advice, even defining terms seems to be a problem here, so inform yourself, use reasonable judgement, and drive responsibly with whatever TV/Trailer combo you choose.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otters View Post
Several years ago I remember a very unhappy camper on the airstream forums that totaled his newer model Airstream due to snow or ice storm (can't remember specifics). State Farm denied the claim because his tow vehicle was over the vehicles max towing capacity.
Yes, I recall the forum post you are referring to Otters. The trailer wasn't an Airstream and there was no accident nor insurance company claim.

The AWD BMW worked quite well towing in the snow/ice storm.
Attached Thumbnails
bmw caravan.jpg  
Old 01-21-2013, 12:34 PM   #14

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Yes, I recall the forum post you are referring to Otters. The trailer wasn't an Airstream and there was no accident nor insurance company claim.
Yea, but beside that, wasn't it scary?