Towing Capacity - Page 10 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #181

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachO View Post
Yeah, I'm probably young enough that I'll live to see the day where we're riding along on a road trip, reading and talking and taking naps, and say "wow, remember when we used to have to drive?"
I wonder what the test drive will be like when it comes to buying a self driver? I can see telling it an address to take me too, but how do we test the performance? 0-60, cornering G force, panic stop? If it's a Jeep, can we take it off road and over a couple of jumps? How far will it burn rubber?
Without having to drive, think how much extra time we'll have to check out babes and flip off other drivers, etc!
Of course we'll need reclining seats to accommodate naps, and serious connectivity so we can concentrate on the laptop.
What happens when it's time to re-fuel? Can it pull up to the appropriate pump too?
Old 12-08-2017, 02:24 PM   #182

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
I wonder what the test drive will be like when it comes to buying a self driver? I can see telling it an address to take me too, but how do we test the performance? 0-60, cornering G force, panic stop? If it's a Jeep, can we take it off road and over a couple of jumps? How far will it burn rubber?
Without having to drive, think how much extra time we'll have to check out babes and flip off other drivers, etc!
Of course we'll need reclining seats to accommodate naps, and serious connectivity so we can concentrate on the laptop.
What happens when it's time to re-fuel? Can it pull up to the appropriate pump too?
I'm sure that it will have a demonstration mode, which will tell you all that you allowed to know. you might be able to choose the destination but probably not the route.
I'm still worried about it getting a DUI since it drinks E-10 R-BOB with 10% alcohol, some even E-85!
A drunk car is not only dangerous but you might end up in someone else's garage.
And then there is always this problem....
Attached Thumbnails
Escape.gif  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #183

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I like the Escape cartoon above!

Getting back to the intent of this thread, we tow our Parkliner with our 2013 Escape. While it's fine for most trips, it's under-powered for steep mountain climbs and long hills on hot days. I'll be getting another truck in a year or so.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #184

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Well I'd guess very few Jeep buyers actually get a chance to test drive a new Jeep off road before buying it even today. And probably quite a few never test it off road after buying it, either For people who spend a lot of time off road, they know there are a lot of great options other than Jeep. For people who just want to look cool, there's a couple options, Jeep among them.

I assume the transition will be pretty slow. For dirt roads, self driving cars may still be a ways off. There will probably be highway lanes like the carpool lane for self driving cars, and slowly but surely, driving of ones self will be phased out.

Except maybe for old beaters laying around the farm or ranch, and "recreational" driving. I heard a news story about the possibility of highways being more or less "self driving car only", with parkways set aside for people who want to actually drive their vehicle, "for fun".
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:55 PM   #185

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Back off topic, A self driven tow vehicle would not need have any seats. You could just ride in the trailer. Might be kinda bumpy though.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:14 PM   #186

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Back off topic, A self driven tow vehicle would not need have any seats. You could just ride in the trailer. Might be kinda bumpy though.
That's an idea!

I wonder how the self driving vehicle (SDV) will handle sway? If you walk to the rear of your 13' trailer while underway, will it become unstable? Does it know the speed limit is lower when towing?

Or you could just meet your SDV and trailer at camp. Ride with someone else or fly part of the way, etc. Just meet it there. You could send it early to get a spot before the weekend rush, or have it drop off the trailer and come back to pick you up. Can it back the trailer into a spot?

Send it home to get something you forgot; "Hey Bill, I'm sending the car home to get my wallet. Toss it in through the window when it pulls up, will you?" And then have it stop for milk on the way back.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:24 PM   #187

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_a View Post
I like the Escape cartoon above!

Getting back to the intent of this thread, we tow our Parkliner with our 2013 Escape. While it's fine for most trips, it's under-powered for steep mountain climbs and long hills on hot days. I'll be getting another truck in a year or so.

Frank
In the mean time you better keep your garage locked!
Old 12-08-2017, 03:38 PM   #188

Montana
I didn't read the whole thread, but there's definitely a balance to be found. Nothing wrong with overkill for a tow vehicle. Gives you a big safety margin, and less wear on the vehicle. Too small a tow vehicle, you're killing the vehicle and risking your safety.

My truck is definitely a safe, adequate tow vehicle, and I like that I'm "getting away" with using about the smallest tow vehicle which is safe. But that means a lot of wear and tear on my truck. I'm definitely shortening its life.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:15 PM   #189

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
I didn't read the whole thread, but there's definitely a balance to be found. Nothing wrong with overkill for a tow vehicle. Gives you a big safety margin, and less wear on the vehicle. Too small a tow vehicle, you're killing the vehicle and risking your safety.

My truck is definitely a safe, adequate tow vehicle, and I like that I'm "getting away" with using about the smallest tow vehicle which is safe. But that means a lot of wear and tear on my truck. I'm definitely shortening its life.
By your statement I conclude that your tow vehicle is a small truck ,which is safe and adequate for towing.
The only trucks that fit your criteria / description are the Ford Ranger or the Chevy Colorado , both excellent choices.
I realize there are other small trucks on the market but they don't fit your narrative or qualifications !

Happy Holidays
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:01 PM   #190

Montana
I see you're fishing for something here. I'll play along anyways.

Toyota Tacoma. 5,000lb towing limit, 500lb tongue weight limit. Bigger in size, anyway, than a Ford Ranger. Not sure of the specs of the Ranger. The Colorado and Canyon are bigger than my truck. Not sure of their specs either.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:05 PM   #191

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
I see you're fishing for something here. I'll play along anyways.

Toyota Tacoma. 5,000lb towing limit, 500lb tongue weight limit. Bigger in size, anyway, than a Ford Ranger. Not sure of the specs of the Ranger. The Colorado and Canyon are bigger than my truck. Not sure of their specs either.
I doubt that the Tacoma is larger than the Ranger will be. I know we will have to wait for it to come out, but the specs do make it seem to be of a considerable size, if it is to be the same a the one now sold in Australia and Europe.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:30 AM   #192

Montana
Sorry I mean my actual truck, and all the models up to the present day. Rangers are tiny. Even my 98 Tacoma is a larger truck. The post '05 Tacomas are way bigger.

I don't know anything about brand new models, but every Ranger I've ever seen (except the really old ones that were F-150 size) has been smaller than even a little Toyota pickup.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #193

Registry
Quote:
Sorry I mean my actual truck, and all the models up to the present day. Rangers are tiny. Even my 98 Tacoma is a larger truck. The post '05 Tacomas are way bigger.

I don't know anything about brand new models, but every Ranger I've ever seen (except the really old ones that were F-150 size) has been smaller than even a little Toyota pickup.
I have a "tiny" 2001 Ranger regular cab which had the cab enlarged in 1998. Except for width, the cab matches or exceeds the room provided by its full sized contemporary counterpart.
Even the smallest first generation Ranger matches a 1956 in cab size and the box has more floor space than the standard box.

Comparing the 1998 Tocoma to the 1998 Ranger in basic size....
______Toyota______Ranger
Width... 66.5_________69.4

Height... 61.2________ 64.

Length... 178.7______ 187.5

WB... 103.3 ________ 111.6

Which one is tiny?
Old 12-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #194

Montana
I'm talking actual size, while you're talking individual measurements of certain parts of the truck. What I mean is that if I park my truck next to a Ranger, my truck is physically bigger. I like Rangers and looked into buying one when I was truck shopping, so "small" is not a criticism here. One thing I was always struck by (and attracted to), was just how darn tiny Rangers are.

Now I've been in vehicles bigger than my truck, with cabs that were more cramped than mine. If that's the comparison you're making, then we're talking different measurements. I simply can't believe that a Ranger is a bigger truck than a full size truck. Right?

I swear I've seen a Ford with "Ranger" badging on it, that was a true full size truck. I'll see if I can find any info on that.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:09 AM   #195

Montana
Here's what I must have seen

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-12-09 at 9.06.32 AM.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	114473
Old 12-09-2017, 10:20 AM   #196

Montana
What models are you comparing, Floyd? The measurements I find online are:

Tacoma -------------------- Ranger
Length- 179-203" -------- Length- 188-203"
Width- 67-70" ----------- Width- 69"
Height- 62-69" ----------- Height- 64-68"

So I'll say my perception was off. The bigger Tacoma is only very slightly larger than a comparable Ranger, in width and height. The 2wd Tacoma is quite a bit shorter than 2wd Ranger, and slightly smaller in h and w.

I'd measure my actual truck but it's really cold and frosty out right now! I apologize if my use of "tiny" struck a nerve.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #197

Registry
Quote:
I'm talking actual size, while you're talking individual measurements of certain parts of the truck .
You mean like ...overall length, width, height, and wheelbase?
Old 12-09-2017, 10:40 AM   #198

Montana
This is what I was referring to.

"cab matches or exceeds the room provided by its full sized contemporary counterpart."

In comparison to my Tacoma, the Ranger is smaller. But before you edited your post, you were comparing the Ranger to full size trucks.

I know your job here is to be contrary and right, but come on.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:51 AM   #199

Registry
Quote:
What models are you comparing, Floyd? The measurements I find online are:

Tacoma -------------------- Ranger
Length- 179-203" -------- Length- 188-203"
Width- 67-70" ----------- Width- 69"
Height- 62-69" ----------- Height- 64-68"

So I'll say my perception was off. The bigger Tacoma is only very slightly larger than a comparable Ranger, in width and height. The 2wd Tacoma is quite a bit shorter than 2wd Ranger, and slightly smaller in h and w.

I'd measure my actual truck but it's really cold and frosty out right now! I apologize if my use of "tiny" struck a nerve.
No nerve struck here, just responding with the facts.

I used the base trucks because I don't think fender flares, rear bumpers, or offroad tires actually increase the size of the truck.
High heels and falsies may lead to unfulfilled expectations

These trucks are essentially the same size and designed to compete....
which was my point to begin with.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #200

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Boys, boys! "My truck is bigger than your truck...". Really?

Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote