Towing Capacity - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-21-2017, 11:26 PM   #101

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Yours was actually Maytag made by Maytag.
I have had Maytag built in Iowa... the best!

I recently bought Maytag made after the sellout.
I will not buy another Maytag anything...
No warranty, even though they claim "Ten Year Warranty" right on the front.
They have a price fixing policy which extends even to year end models and scratch & dent.
Customer service is now dismal as well.
yeah, Maytags are just Whirlpools now. If I had to replace mine, I'd look at Speed Queen... I think they are the last ones still offered without all the electronics that lack longevity and cost so much to fix.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 PM   #102

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
I would have chosen one Granada, let alone four of them, over the one Mercedes, and the cabinets in our trailer are real oak.
Studebaker made the exact same mistake and failed to realize it before it was too late.
Ford doesn't compare itself to anyone anymore.
Try as I might, I don't understand your post. I didn't mention any brand of trailer, just used an example to demonstrate that looking like something is a poor way to say you are equal to that something. Still don't know what you meant by "would have chosen one Granada". Sorry to not get it.
Old 11-22-2017, 12:08 AM   #103

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
yeah, Maytags are just Whirlpools now. If I had to replace mine, I'd look at Speed Queen... I think they are the last ones still offered without all the electronics that lack longevity and cost so much to fix.
Maybe buying washing machines is like throwing darts at a board, or like buying car batteries. But maybe not. My traditional top loader Whirlpool failed on the first load of clothes by being out of balance and breaking off the safety switch. I now have 15 years on my front loader of the same brand and it works like it did on day one. It uses about 1/4 the water as the older one and it is much kinder to the clothes. It had a valve leak internally once and it continued to pump itself out automatically over about a weeks time with no external leakage. Must have been a piece of dirt stuck in it that rinsed out on the next cycle.

Higher tech can be a good thing. But I agree that higher tech has more to go wrong.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:55 AM   #104
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
What is Consumer Reports agenda? It's been mentioned several times in this thread.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:58 AM   #105

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
electronics in stuff

I agree I go bareboned when I can electronics can be a real pain! I used to sell commercial cooking gear I had a customer that wanted not one but 2 of the latest and greatest in convections ovens loaded with electronics.

First of all commercial kitchens are not the cleanest places around grease is floating everywhere. He got his fancy ovens he couldn't keep the electronic doodads running in them they were constantly frying boards.

The nearest service agency was 100m away anyone getting the picture? huge costs to just get the service guy there then huge costs for the second call to get the new parts installed! Finally the operator junked them!

Saying that I had a 90 cadilac deville that I put 450k on and never a problem with any of the electronics in that car. It had to have all the modules replaced once in the ignition system once but that was it.

All the latest and greatest stuff is great but it all comes with a price!!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:41 AM   #106

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Some electronics in the field is designed poorly and can’t take a power failure or cold/hot connector cycling temperature change. Electronics don’t have lower reliability. It’s the mechanical connectors that fracture. Good luck with your choices.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:20 AM   #107

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Try as I might, I don't understand your post. I didn't mention any brand of trailer, just used an example to demonstrate that looking like something is a poor way to say you are equal to that something. Still don't know what you meant by "would have chosen one Granada". Sorry to not get it.
Sorry, I guess the thread frayed!
I love it! it reminds of an old child's game called "telephone".
I do get your point and understand the confusion... Mine as well as yours!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #108

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
I was looking at an Australian bicycle forum the other day. Long distance touring riders were talking about drilling holes in their toothbrush handles to cut down on weight.
If I have to start drilling holes in my tooth brush I will Definitely take another look at my tow
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:15 PM   #109

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Hotchkiss View Post
If I have to start drilling holes in my tooth brush I will Definitely take another look at my tow
Oddly enough I just drilled our toothbrush handles for my Scamp, but it was to hang them on new hooks in the bath, I'm sure the hooks weigh more than what the holes removed. Guess I could just squeeze out some toothpaste to make up the difference.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:48 PM   #110

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
What is Consumer Reports agenda? It's been mentioned several times in this thread.
Their agenda is to sell more magazines. Back in the mid 90's they hurt Isuzu with the flawed testing they did on the Isuzu Trooper. They on purpose did the exaggerated non-scientific rollover tests to get attention and sell more magazines. I no longer trust much of what they say any more.
Check out this article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-9e9c169b1d8a/
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:43 AM   #111

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Mostly, it seems they just make stuff up, or decide in advance what the outcome will be and print it. But they do get themselves into trouble and cause others trouble too. The Suzuki Samurai rollover saga is a perfect example. They printed how unsafe it was without testing it. After being sued by Suzuki, they tried to prove their position and couldn't. Suzuki won the case, but by then CR had done so much damage that Samurais were taken off the market.

They would do it with the Wrangler too, if they could. They seem to want to categorize the Wrangler with family sedans, but point out how bad the Wrangler is when compared. It would be far better to describe where the Wrangler shines and why, than to simply say it doesn't work as well in the city as a car.

Other examples have been given in this thread. No way I'd take CRs advice on anything. I might review actual specs on something, but not their biased and unfounded "conclusions". Absolutely, do your own research. Everyone should anyway. Why buy something based on someone else's bias?

Right or wrong, I sort of see anyone who makes their buying decisions based on CR recommendations, as a victim, or unwilling to do their own research.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:51 AM   #112

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Right or wrong, I sort of see anyone who makes their buying decisions based on CR recommendations, as a victim, or unwilling to do their own research.
Consulting CR is doing research.
Then draw your own conclusions.
Not sure how large your data base is, but I think CR's record of repair, for instance, is valuable information.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:40 AM   #113

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Consulting CR is doing research.
Then draw your own conclusions.
Not sure how large your data base is, but I think CR's record of repair, for instance, is valuable information.
I agree. It's the speculation I don't like. The actual statistics are fine.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:42 AM   #114

Name: Kevin
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post
Their agenda is to sell more magazines. Back in the mid 90's they hurt Isuzu with the flawed testing they did on the Isuzu Trooper. They on purpose did the exaggerated non-scientific rollover tests to get attention and sell more magazines. I no longer trust much of what they say any more.

Check out this article:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-9e9c169b1d8a/

Just don’t trust anyone. Verify it all. Science the hell out of any advice. Move on as no one has an infinite amount of time.
offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:43 AM   #115

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Interesting thoughts/opinions of CR going on here that reminded me of an experience of a friends Dad. He wanted to buy a new Mopar in the late 60s/early 70s. People told him not to get X engine, convertible, this color or that tranny ect. He ended up ordering everything he was told not to get and after years of driving it said it was the best car he ever had. Funny, I always remember that any time I see anyone's test reports. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:48 AM   #116
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I didn't mean to derail the thread I just wasn't clear what the issue was. Years ago I subscribed. Finding time to read it was the first problem. When CR reviewed something I wanted to buy, their recommended models were usually discontinued. Also I found their reviews focused more on convenience of use than quality of construction.

At one time they would tell you how many insect parts were in your favorite breakfast cereal. I guess they don't do that anymore. Back in the '80s we bought the top pick toaster, a Salton. About $20. Still gets used daily. Thank goodness. Have you tried to buy a toaster lately? Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #117

Registry
We brought 12 each of two different brands of truck into fleet service at the same time.
One group had various engine, transmission and electronics problems.
The other group had bad door mounted dome light switches which were subjected to a recall.
Each group had 12 "Incidence of repair" reports under Warranty in the first 6 months.
That would make them equal, at least in one parameter.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #118

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
Quote:
We brought 12 each of two different brands of truck into fleet service at the same time.
The other group had bad door mounted dome light switches which were subjected to a recall.
Each group had 12 "Incidence of repairs" under Warranty in the first 6 months.
Really hate when the dome light fails
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:31 AM   #119

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Each group had 12 "Incidents of repairs" under Warranty in the first 6 months.
CR methodology does factor in severity and cost of repairs. They are aware, as you point out, that one repair is not the same as another.

In-cabin electronic interfaces have become a big source of complaints and repairs. In some cases that's the main reason one model appears worse than another. For me that's a problem easily bypassed at the time of purchase. Or not- stripped down models can be hard to find.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #120

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Just as a friction sway device is not made to compensate for an improperly balanced trailer, a WDH is not designed to compensate for an overloaded tow vehicle.
As per usual, valuable advice Floyd. Thanks, john

Pic showing Point Lobos Reserve, California
Attached Thumbnails
Trips West (13).jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote