towing capacity and trailer weights - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
We have a tow capacity of 5500 lbs. on our van and towed a dry weight trailer of 3800 lbs plus probably 500 lbs of cargo. This was a 24', box length 20', Forest River Salem TT. We used an Equalizer hitch. For long distance trips, we traveled from NC to KS and from KS to AL and this combination worked well. I would not tow more than this and would prefer a little less. I know a lot of people swear they have no problems pulling over the weight limit or close to it but if you want ideal and to be able to stop in an emergency, less is more as always. I haven't seen the new Winnebago TT in person but looked at them online. We loved the Equalizer hitch and would not consider anything else since the unit pulled like a one-piece rather than two. We have never towed a fiberglass trailer so I really cannot compare the two. Good luck in whatever decision you make. There is no perfect trailer that I have read about since they all have issues, just different ones.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #16

Name: Barb
Trailer: Casita Spirit
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I tow an Escape 17B with a RAV4 V6 & Tow Package. The trailer weighs 3000 lbs loaded for a long trip, and the RAV4 is rated at 3500/350 lbs. The combination works well for me, 33,500 miles so far. I do think the tongue weight of a Casita 17' would go over the RAV4's hitch weight limit - I have to work to keep the Escape's under 350 lbs & the Casita generally goes well over 350.

With the Traverse, you should be OK with either as long as you don't expect to tow at 70MPH up the Colorado passes!
Aacckkk! Joe does 70 mph in the mountains and I will get out and walk!

Joe is out in the garden putting up fence to keep the deer out. He chased one out just as he was going out there to work on the fencing today. I will have him read this stuff over and we will talk.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion. Much appreciated.

pwdohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
My Highlander is much like the Traverse in size, power, and tow rating. I tow all the time with it... for work every day with a 3500 lb 6x12 cargo trailer, and for fun with a 16' stickie that probably weighs 2700-2800 lbs. I get about 12 mpg with the travel trailer, but when I had the (basically same size) Burro I got 14.

There are some lightweight stickies that will work for you, like the KZ Sportsmen Classic and Spree Escape lines. But if you know you like FG eggs like Casita and can afford another one, I think you'd be happier in the long run with another.

Those Escape 19s are pretty sweet. Remember that it will hold resale value better than a stickie, so if you decide to trade again in 5, 10, or even 20 years you will get a lot of that investment back.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #18

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Has anyone checked the weight of a 13ft Scamp Deluxe ? I would be interested in knowing what it weighs empty.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
Has anyone checked the weight of a 13ft Scamp Deluxe ? I would be interested in knowing what it weighs empty.

Mary, are you asking the weight of your 13ft Scamp? If so the best way to know how much it weights is to have it weighed.

If just wanting to know the general weights of a 13 Deluxe you can check out the post, Trailer Weights in the Real World

It will give you a idea, but you will notice that weights often vary due to personal gear, mods, etc. But again, the only way to really know is weight the particular trailer you are questioning!
Old 05-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #20

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Robin, I know that would be the way to do it, but I have no way of doing that where I'm at, That's why I asked. I thought someone may have weighed a deluxe model.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:06 AM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The problem is Mary Ann that no two trailers are going to weigh the same amount. All depends on what options the trailer has on it. Ie some may have AC and awnings, dual propane tanks, heater, hot water tank, screen door, rock guard - amongst other things- some may only have a few of those items, or none at all. Scamp list the dry weight at 1200LBS which includes none of the items I listed or the battery, fridge, store, potty or any other options.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #22

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
The problem is Mary Ann that no two trailers are going to weigh the same amount.

Exactly! Even two trailers, exact same models, same options, same year, will not weigh the exact same amount! Crazy, I know but just a fact.......
Personally, this is one of my issues with all manufactures! They post dry weights that are misleading! Or should I say they don't clarify that dry weights are before things such as AC, toilets, fridge, etc etc etc!

Mary, I would bet there are several scales near you who allow the public to use for a small fee. I think I paid $8 the first time. I know scales are not something we use often or even notice, but they are around. Even the local dump should have one. The first time I weighted my trailer, I took it to the sugar beat mill. I would have never even known they weighted any thing, until someone directed me there. You might ask your local DMV, they should know of several weigh options in your area.

I think my local dump charges $15
Old 05-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #23

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
Robin, I know that would be the way to do it, but I have no way of doing that where I'm at, That's why I asked. I thought someone may have weighed a deluxe model.
If you look at catscale dot com, it shows all their locations. Could be one is close by, or perhaps along your route as you journey.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:14 AM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
I recall Frederick suggesting to check with your state Agiculture Dept, weights and measures division. They have to inspect them. We went to a local truck stop. Raz
Old 05-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #25

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Personally, this is one of my issues with all manufactures! They post dry weights that are misleading! Or should I say they don't clarify that dry weights are before things such as AC, toilets, fridge, etc etc etc!
Well there may be light at the end of the tunnel on that topic. I seem to recall that there are some new regulations or at least some RV manufactures association that many of the manufactures belong to has a new requirement that the manufacturer must state the actual dry weight on the trailer as completed/leaves the factory on a label inside the trailer.

A good rule of thumb on a Scamp is to add at least 250/300lbs to the dry weight stated by Scamp to come up with a more realist dry weight on a 13' which they state to be 1200lbs. I have never seen a 1200lb Scamp reported here after having been weighed. Loaded weights on Frederick's great thread Trailer Weights in the Real World range from 1620lbs all the way up to 1950lbs and the later was listed as a Standard 13' Scamp. Which makes sense as it is suggested by a local trailer manufacture here that you should always add between 500/600lbs to a trailers stated dry weight to come up with a realistic approx. loaded weight.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:30 AM   #26
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
The weights/payload issue get even worse when the trailers get bigger.

Our 23' Airstream comes with a listed dry weight of 3,500lbs but the GWR is a whopping 5,800lbs. I have no idea what one could put into that kind of space that would weigh so much.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #27

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

. Which makes sense as it is suggested by a local trailer manufacture here that you should always add between 500/600lbs to a trailers stated dry weight to come up with a realistic approx. loaded weight.
That sounds like a reasonable figure to approximate it in my experience and observations. For instance my camper has a listed dry weight of 3040 pounds, and weighs about 3600 with a minimal amount of stuff, and right at 3900 the way I typically pull out of the driveway.
This particular manufacturer ( cruiser rv ) considers dry weight to be without propane tanks, and no options, such as A/C and awning.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #28

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
The weights/payload issue get even worse when the trailers get bigger.

Our 23' Airstream comes with a listed dry weight of 3,500lbs but the GWR is a whopping 5,800lbs. I have no idea what one could put into that kind of space that would weigh so much.
From what I have seen, it's fairly common for RV manufacturers to state a GVWR based on what the axle(s) capacity is plus sometimes the normal tongue weight. For instance, my trailer, while supposably only 3040 pounds dry, has a GVWR of 6000 pounds. That's because it has two 2800 pound axles (5600) plus approx 400 pounds of tongue. If this traile was a single axle, it would likely have a 3500 pound axle, so it's GVWR would likely be around 3800. This is part of why I like tandem axles.