towing capacity and trailer weights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2013, 09:37 PM   #1

Name: Barb
Trailer: Casita Spirit
Ohio
towing capacity and trailer weights

I have a question. We purchased a Chevy Traverse, front wheel drive, with the towing package from the factory. They state you can pull 5,200 lbs with it.

My question is if the vehicle is rated at 5,200 what percentage of total towing capacity is truly ideal and very much on the safe side where you are not pushing it? We are talking about a 2-3 month trip out west that will be taking in mountains of course.

Thanks for your help. Car is equipped with a Prodigy brake controller and we do plan on having a WDH and sway bars on the new camper. We are trying to figure out what we are going to purchase next.
pwdohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Some folks like to keep their trailer under 80% of tow capacity. That would be about 4000 lbs for your vehicle.

For the wheelbase, I'd suggest 20' length or less would be best IMO.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #3

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Some folks like to keep their trailer under 80% of tow capacity. That would be about 4000 lbs for your vehicle.

For the wheelbase, I'd suggest 20' length or less would be best IMO.
Thanks Mike. My husband was thinking 75-80%.

We think we have our 16' Casita sold, supposed to be picked up in the morning.

We have been really debating whether to stick with Casita and go with a 17' to get the larger fridge and larger sleeping capacity or go with a lightweight stick trailer. We have been looking at the Remington 1800 FB by Winnebago, it is 5500 lbs loaded (giving 1625 for cargo, of that 357 would be water tanks). Dry weight appears to be 3,330 and we were coming up with maybe 4,500 to 4,800 giving us a fair amount of loading capacity and yet really staying under what they allow. However, we don't want to push it and I feel more comfy at the 4000 lbs that you mention.

We would most likely want to add a regular mattress to the large bed, having had the Southern Mattress factory mattress in our 16' Casita. The shipping weight on that was 200 lbs but my husband says it did not weight 200 lbs. But mattress weight is probably going to be the heaviest item we will put into the camper besides water and that has to be taken into consideration.

We have just been so used to the nice small size of the Casita when it comes to pulling and backing. The stick trailers are soooo wide and tall! It is a bit intimidating to say the least.

Guess after tomorrow, we will be back to looking at 15-16 foot sticks or a Liberty or Spirit 17' trailer.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
pwdohio,

I bought a 17 Casita LD from an owner who replaced it with a Lance as they needed a tad more room for grandkids. Both of us are happy campers.......

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:46 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Pulling 5200 lbs and towing are 2 different animals. My Ram p/u can pull 10,000 # but I can only trailer 5000#. The tongue weight of 500# is part of your carrying capacity of your tow vehicle. This included passengers, luggage and fuel. That is the number you need to consider, not pull weight.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:30 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Also keep in mind that if you switch from a fibreglass RV to a "stickie", there may be a significant increase in frontal area and a blockier shape, which could significantly increase the wind resistance and impact how your tow vehicle behaves while pulling the trailer.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #7

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Pulling 5200 lbs and towing are 2 different animals. My Ram p/u can pull 10,000 # but I can only trailer 5000#. The tongue weight of 500# is part of your carrying capacity of your tow vehicle. This included passengers, luggage and fuel. That is the number you need to consider, not pull weight.
Thanks Jim! We want to give ourselves a lot of leeway in what we can pull. I know one Casita owner who is pulling a Spirit with her Acadia (which is the same vehicle as the Traverse) and she has gone all over the country and up into Canada with it and says no problems, it pulls like a dream....just not sure if her Acadia is front wheel or all wheel.

I think at this point we have ruled out the Remington and are looking at maybe a 15' stick or back to the Casita and look for a 17'.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:57 AM   #8

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Also keep in mind that if you switch from a fibreglass RV to a "stickie", there may be a significant increase in frontal area and a blockier shape, which could significantly increase the wind resistance and impact how your tow vehicle behaves while pulling the trailer.
Oh yes,that is one reason we are back and forth on the issue of whether we move away from a Casita or not....
Old 05-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #9

Ohio
Gosh Jim and Dave! I am envious! A 19' Escape!!!! In my dreams!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 AM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just drove thru your state twice in last week going out and back to/from a f/g rally in Minden, Ne.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdohio View Post

I think at this point we have ruled out the Remington and are looking at maybe a 15' stick or back to the Casita and look for a 17'.
Have you looked at a 17' Escape as an option? You can find them used and they to me feel roomier inside than the Casita and Scamps due to the top of the sides being less curved.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
You have a highly respected/capable TV.

A couple Traverse/Enclave users have commented.... when towing large TT's the vehicles out performed their previous V8 suv's/pickups even towing at the max tow rating in the mountains.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #13

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdohio View Post
We would most likely want to add a regular mattress to the large bed, having had the Southern Mattress factory mattress in our 16' Casita. The shipping weight on that was 200 lbs but my husband says it did not weight 200 lbs. But mattress weight is probably going to be the heaviest item we will put into the camper besides water and that has to be taken into consideration...
Greetings & best wishes on your continuing adventures.

A note on bed options. You might have seen my post on another thread that mentioned the Southen Mattress company, here is the _link to my post_ explaining what i found as an amazinly comfortable and lightweight bed option that literally rivals ANY bed system in home, RV, or Yacht... Our bed weights in at the the weight of our 4" matress topper + 8 pounds for the froli queen.

We have one in our van conversion, our full time 5th wheel, and our stick built before moving out
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
I tow an Escape 17B with a RAV4 V6 & Tow Package. The trailer weighs 3000 lbs loaded for a long trip, and the RAV4 is rated at 3500/350 lbs. The combination works well for me, 33,500 miles so far. I do think the tongue weight of a Casita 17' would go over the RAV4's hitch weight limit - I have to work to keep the Escape's under 350 lbs & the Casita generally goes well over 350.

With the Traverse, you should be OK with either as long as you don't expect to tow at 70MPH up the Colorado passes!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
We have a tow capacity of 5500 lbs. on our van and towed a dry weight trailer of 3800 lbs plus probably 500 lbs of cargo. This was a 24', box length 20', Forest River Salem TT. We used an Equalizer hitch. For long distance trips, we traveled from NC to KS and from KS to AL and this combination worked well. I would not tow more than this and would prefer a little less. I know a lot of people swear they have no problems pulling over the weight limit or close to it but if you want ideal and to be able to stop in an emergency, less is more as always. I haven't seen the new Winnebago TT in person but looked at them online. We loved the Equalizer hitch and would not consider anything else since the unit pulled like a one-piece rather than two. We have never towed a fiberglass trailer so I really cannot compare the two. Good luck in whatever decision you make. There is no perfect trailer that I have read about since they all have issues, just different ones.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #16

Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I tow an Escape 17B with a RAV4 V6 & Tow Package. The trailer weighs 3000 lbs loaded for a long trip, and the RAV4 is rated at 3500/350 lbs. The combination works well for me, 33,500 miles so far. I do think the tongue weight of a Casita 17' would go over the RAV4's hitch weight limit - I have to work to keep the Escape's under 350 lbs & the Casita generally goes well over 350.

With the Traverse, you should be OK with either as long as you don't expect to tow at 70MPH up the Colorado passes!
Aacckkk! Joe does 70 mph in the mountains and I will get out and walk!

Joe is out in the garden putting up fence to keep the deer out. He chased one out just as he was going out there to work on the fencing today. I will have him read this stuff over and we will talk.

Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion. Much appreciated.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #17

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
My Highlander is much like the Traverse in size, power, and tow rating. I tow all the time with it... for work every day with a 3500 lb 6x12 cargo trailer, and for fun with a 16' stickie that probably weighs 2700-2800 lbs. I get about 12 mpg with the travel trailer, but when I had the (basically same size) Burro I got 14.

There are some lightweight stickies that will work for you, like the KZ Sportsmen Classic and Spree Escape lines. But if you know you like FG eggs like Casita and can afford another one, I think you'd be happier in the long run with another.

Those Escape 19s are pretty sweet. Remember that it will hold resale value better than a stickie, so if you decide to trade again in 5, 10, or even 20 years you will get a lot of that investment back.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:51 PM   #18

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Has anyone checked the weight of a 13ft Scamp Deluxe ? I would be interested in knowing what it weighs empty.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:05 PM   #19

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Ann in MN View Post
Has anyone checked the weight of a 13ft Scamp Deluxe ? I would be interested in knowing what it weighs empty.

Mary, are you asking the weight of your 13ft Scamp? If so the best way to know how much it weights is to have it weighed.

If just wanting to know the general weights of a 13 Deluxe you can check out the post, http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

It will give you a idea, but you will notice that weights often vary due to personal gear, mods, etc. But again, the only way to really know is weight the particular trailer you are questioning!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #20

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13' Deluxe
Minnesota
Robin, I know that would be the way to do it, but I have no way of doing that where I'm at, That's why I asked. I thought someone may have weighed a deluxe model.
God's Country, Minnesota
Mary Ann in MN is offline   Reply With Quote