Towing Casita Freedom Deluxe With Subaru Outback - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Agree. I knew of someone who was towing too large a stick built trailer with their small
van and the trailer started to ''wag'' the trailer after a truck passed by. She told us both vehicles rolled
and were both totaled. Luckily no one was injured seriously. They carried quite a large load inside the van. We try to be careful how we pack both the car and trailer and all family members are on diets including the dog!

Dlynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Curtis, I am curious about your "a minimum of 1000lbs under the rating capacity" comment.

If I tried to do that I couldn't pull my Casita 17' SD.

The maximum load capacity of the Escalade is 1392 lbs. Take away the weight of two passengers (460 ponuds), the hitch weight (475 pounds), and what we carry (375 pounds) and I don't have much capacity left over. This has nothing to do with towing capacity.

Most people talk about towing capacity and hitch weight capacity, but then completely ignore that each vehicle since 2004 has a plackard that defines the maximum load (passengers and cargo) the vehicle is rated to carry.

I know one person that pulls an 17' Oliver with a vehicle thats only rated for 850 pounds. Can this TV pull the weight, yes! can it do it safely, qestionable!

What about you?

CD and Joyce Smith - Lily, Violet, and Rose
1999 Casita 17' SD - "The Little Egg"
2007 Escalade - 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
Name: Jim
Trailer: 2006 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe / 1981 13' Burro project/ 2008 Chevy Colorado extended cab
We pulled a 25' Sunlite from Elk River to Washington/ Oregon and back in 2004. The 4.0 Exploder we pulled with was rated for the 3800# Sunlite but driving 50mph and being scared to death the entire 6000 mile trip was not fun.
We replaced the Exploder with a Surburban and get better gas milage and driving at 75mph is a walk in the park.

Now we replaced the Sunlite and the 13' Burro with a 16" Casita looking forward to our first trip.

Jim H
Jim Hovind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #18
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Rather than a specific weight, there is a Rule of Thumb that's been around for a long time that says don't tow more than 75-80% of your tow vehicle's tow capacity.

This may have some basis in fact because tow capacities are established by the manufacturers with new vehicles in good weather, on good roads at sea level. Ford has a note in their tow capacity tables to 'reduce tow capacity by 2% for every 1,000' of elevation' (Towing in Colorado can easily put you at 10,000', which is a reduction of 20%).

BTW, someone towing an Oliver with a tow vehicle rated for less than 1,000 lbs is taking some serious chances not only with his own equipment and family, but also those on the road around him/her. Were I sitting on a jury, I would consider that to be gross negligence.

We have photos of trailers being towed with garden tractors. I'm sure I could tow an egg up Pike's Peak with a motorcycle but not at all sure that I could get it back down again...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #19
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
We have photos of trailers being towed with garden tractors. I'm sure I could tow an egg up Pike's Peak with a motorcycle but not at all sure that I could get it back down again...
Sure you could Pete. Just a heck of a lot faster than you intended and I guarantee you wouldn't stop until you hit the bottom.

Stopping is probably a lot more important than "going." If a tug is pulling more than it safely should, you can bet it will have a tough time stopping when it should too.

Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote