Towing Casita with 2002-05 Chevy Tahoe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #1

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: in the market
Texas
Towing Casita with 2002-05 Chevy Tahoe

Hello, I have a 05 Tahoe 5.3L with tow package. As the son of some long time RVers, I know how important it is to have a pleasurable towing experience. I was wondering if any of the 17ft casita owners are towing with an older Tahoe? I've heard that often when you pass larger trucks, trailers will sway a great deal. For those of you with the Tahoe and a Casita, how much of a problem is this?
Thanks again for all your feedback!
cyrmorneault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 06:19 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
I’ve never experienced sway with either my previous EggCamper nor with my present Escape. Towed the EC with a Chevy Silverado and the Escape with the Chevy and with my present Ram 1500.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My 13’ Scamp never sways with passing semis. A slight tail waggle sometimes with a speeding tour bus- they’re the worst- but not dangerous. We run about 12% tongue weight with nothing heavy at the back.

The Casita 17 is regarded as one of the more stable molded trailers, so I'm sure you’ll be fine. If you want to add a friction sway control bar as an extra measure, there’s certainly no harm, and they’re inexpensive. If you want to spend some money, Anderson makes a lightweight weight distributing hitch that integrates sway control. Overkill in my opinion, but if you want the extra security it’s an option.

Correct loading with adequate tongue weight is the best sway prevention- the Casita 17 tends to run a little tongue heavy- along with keeping speed down and using trailer brakes.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 05:41 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The 17' Casita is stable because it's on the high side of the 10-15% tongue weight at normally ready for travel of between 400-420 pounds. That makes them stable.
But check your TV's owner manual to see if a WDH is recommended and at what tongue weight.
A wdh was required on my 2006 Jeep Liberty at 300# so I have one and have used it since though not required, on my 2007 Silverado and now my 2017 Sierra Double cab as it gives a smoother ride

You also have an anti sway bar.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita