Towing fifth wheel versus towing bumper hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 08:01 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I didn't see it mentioned, but I've been told (yes, more 2nd hand info) twin axle trailers are easier to backup, not that I've ever had a problem with the single. Must be a slower more controlled turn as opposed to the turn on a dime singles.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:34 AM   #22

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
As much as I love my bumper pulled ParkLiner, when I retire I want a 5th wheel, for the separate bedroom and layout if I'm gonna full-time and entertain a bit.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #23

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Donna, I look forward to seeing photos of your new rig when you take delivery. Are there any changes to the layout on the 5.0TA from the former model? There's not a lot of info on the Escape website about the new one yet. I think that I also look forward to seeing what you decide on the Scamp 16--keep it or not?!
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 11:16 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
I didn't see it mentioned, but I've been told (yes, more 2nd hand info) twin axle trailers are easier to backup, not that I've ever had a problem with the single. Must be a slower more controlled turn as opposed to the turn on a dime singles.
I think your observation may have more to do with the length of the trailer. Tandem axle trailers are generally longer than single axle and longer trailers don't react as quickly as short ones to small steering corrections.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #25

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
It's interesting to note that while the Escape fiver's two feet longer than the Scamp (I think), it's only eight inches longer than its predecessor, the single axle 5.0.

I'd be interested to know what led to the decision to add that second axle... it's also eight inches wider and a little taller- is it just that it's heavier than the first-gen fiver?
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:21 PM   #26

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass

Preliminary

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstock View Post
Donna, I look forward to seeing photos of your new rig when you take delivery. Are there any changes to the layout on the 5.0TA from the former model? There's not a lot of info on the Escape website about the new one yet. I think that I also look forward to seeing what you decide on the Scamp 16--keep it or not?!
Old 02-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by drstock View Post
On the new Escape 5er, from counter edge to wall is over 5 feet! Turn the stove 90 degrees and gain even more available counter space. TOTALLY COOL!

Still haven't totally decided on whether or not I'll sell the Scamp. Every day I change my mind... just like my socks.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:28 AM   #28

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Donna, I haven't seen it in your posts, but do you mind sharing what your current tow vehicle is and if you have plans to change TV for your new Escape.5 when it arrives? Just curious....

Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #29

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dale, my current tug is a 2000 Ford F-150 Triton V-8 with 156,000+ miles on it. I will be buying a new truck, just can't decide WHAT? They're all UGLY... look really angry with those big ole grills. The truck brands with smaller grills are ugly for other reasons. Sigh. It's all about the visuals! I care less about the color than the over all look.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #30

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Interesting development in the truck world. Gm has redesigned Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon models for later in 2014. Big splash at the Detroit Auto Show. In 2015 a diesel engine, the 2.8L Duramax® Turbo-Diesel, will be available.

Not sure how a smaller pick up could match up with your ordered Escape 5.0TA, but it is an interesting options for other applications.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:10 PM   #31

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Dale, my current tug is a 2000 Ford F-150 Triton V-8 with 156,000+ miles on it. I will be buying a new truck, just can't decide WHAT? They're all UGLY... look really angry with those big ole grills. The truck brands with smaller grills are ugly for other reasons. Sigh. It's all about the visuals! I care less about the color than the over all look.
Thanks for your feedback. For the time being, we need our tow vehicle to double as a commuter, so fuel economy of the current full-sized pickups is a concern - granted, they're getting better. Our F-250 7.3L gets descent mileage (20 mpg towing or not), but the price of diesel is still so high.

Now that Ford has their aluminum body F-150 ready for production, I'd like to see them turn their attention to producing a revamped, beefed up Ranger with their little Euro Duratorq 3.2L diesel engine (200 HP; 350 ftlb torque). That little diesel engine seems to be everywhere in the world except here in the U.S. Not sure what the fuel efficiency is, but it probably gets at least twice the mpg that our 7.3L gets. And while they're at it, I hope they make extendable outside mirrors a factory option on it like on their full-sized F-series trucks so those of us using mid-sized TVs can all stop strapping on those silly little third-party mirror extensions. Same goes for Toyota and Nissan. Do they not realize how many people use mid-sized vehicles to pull campers and enclosed trailers? Just wishful thinking, I guess.... Dale
Old 02-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #32

Registry
The Scamp fiver was designed for compact pickups, and there used to be some stick-built models for small trucks, too. The Escape fiver will weigh in somewhat heavier than the Scamp, of course.

Ford doesn't make the Ranger any more, but the most recent (2011) 6-cyl. model is beyond capable of pulling either of the two molded fifth wheels. Link to specs.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #33

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Pleeeze Tell Us.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Thanks for your feedback. For the time being, we need our tow vehicle to double as a commuter, so fuel economy of the current full-sized pickups is a concern - granted, they're getting better. Our F-250 7.3L gets descent mileage (20 mpg towing or not), but the price of diesel is still so high.

Now that Ford has their aluminum body F-150 ready for production, I'd like to see them turn their attention to producing a revamped, beefed up Ranger with their little Euro Duratorq 3.2L diesel engine (200 HP; 350 ftlb torque). That little diesel engine seems to be everywhere in the world except here in the U.S. Not sure what the fuel efficiency is, but it probably gets at least twice the mpg that our 7.3L gets. And while they're at it, I hope they make extendable outside mirrors a factory option on it like on their full-sized F-series trucks so those of us using mid-sized TVs can all stop strapping on those silly little third-party mirror extensions. Same goes for Toyota and Nissan. Do they not realize how many people use mid-sized vehicles to pull campers and enclosed trailers? Just wishful thinking, I guess.... Dale

Please, please, please, Tell us all what year Ford F-250 7.3 gets 20 MPG towing....
It's a super secret that I don't think that even Ford knows about.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:23 PM   #34

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I found this:
1999 Ford F-250 Super Duty MPG Reports | Fuelly

But 20 MPG doesn't seem to be as well as most F-250's w/diesels are reporting.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #35

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Please, please, please, Tell us all what year Ford F-250 7.3 gets 20 MPG towing....
It's a super secret that I don't think that even Ford knows about.
It's a custom ordered 1999 model SD F250 4x4 Supercab with 8 ft bed delivered in September 1998. It has the 7.3L PowerStroke Turbo Diesel engine, a 6 speed manual overdrive transmission, 3.73 ratio limited-slip rear axle and manual locking front hubs. I've gotten as high as 22.5 mpg doing 65 mph on the Interstate from Alabama to West Virginia and back with no load. Worst mileage was towing a fairly large farm tractor on a double-axle flatbed trailer about 60 miles round trip to the tractor repair shop and back. That was only for part of that tank of fuel, but it did drop below 20 mpg for that tank. But that was a one-time thing so far. I don't normally tow things that heavy, although it handled it like a dream. The only things it consistently doesn't like is going over 65 mph and start-stop shopping trips around town. But those are rare because we have a commuter car for those kinds of trips.

I think the 6 speed manual transmission with overdrive, the manual lockout front hubs, and the fact that I still put the same sized tires on it that it was engineered to run on (LT235/85R16) might account for my mileage being consistently higher than others report. That, and the fact that I don't speed, I don't gun it through yellow traffic lights, and I don't jackrabbit start and stop. I see a lot of diesel drivers blowing carbon out their tail pipe from floor-boarding it for no reason other than to show off, and I can't imagine what that's doing to their fuel consumption and mileage. Dale
Old 02-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #36

Registry
How tall are the bed rails on that '99 4x4 diesel, Dale? It occurs to me to wonder if there's an upper rail height limit as far as these small fivers are concerned-?
Old 02-08-2014, 01:30 PM   #37

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Ford doesn't make the Ranger any more
They still make it. Just don't sell it in our neck of the woods.
2014 Ford Ranger Review | 2014 / 2015 Latest Car News and Reviews

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...-u-s-heres-why
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #38

Registry
Thanks for the correction, Roy. I keep forgetting that tow vehicle discussions here mustn't be limited to vehicle versions that are actually available in North America, not to mention in any way similar to versions that were EVER available here.

Further Important "What We Can't Buy" Newsflash:

In case anyone's under the misperception that Ford quit making its Falcon, they still make those for overseas markets, too! Link.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:40 PM   #39

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I think that it is important for the manufacturers to know that we watch the world market. Equally so for their marketing departments to know that the demand is still here.
This one caught my eye: Is a Cummins-Powered Nissan Frontier on the Way? - PickupTrucks.com News

Waiting to see if the Chevy/GMC equivalents will be a reality.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #40

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
How tall are the bed rails on that '99 4x4 diesel, Dale? It occurs to me to wonder if there's an upper rail height limit as far as these small fivers are concerned-?
Francesca, I'm sure each 5th wheel camper manufacturer has recommendations and limits, although I've not looked into those yet. (Donna, do you know what Escape lists for their 5'ers?)

Top side rail on our F-250 bed is 56 inches! That's a problem that I made worse when I ordered it with the heavy duty suspension package, too. My wife and I usually hang onto vehicles until they drop dead, and there was a thought this truck would last a long time and eventually end up in Colorado with a snow plow on the front. With the weight of the diesel engine up front already, it just seemed like a good idea to beef up the suspension - not realizing the extra spring leafs also added to the rear would lift the bed height several inches. Not a problem for the box hitch, just needed a deeper drop on the ball mount. But it's tight for even some gooseneck-type 5th-wheel trailers. We'd probably have to lift a fiberglass 5th wheel camper better than a foot to make it work, and we're not going there. For the time being, we're happy with our Highlander pulling our little EggCamper. But when the time comes, we'll probably replace the Highlander with a mid-sized pickup that could also tow a 5th wheel camper if we decided to go that way in the future. It's always fun to ponder and dream... Dale