Towing fifth wheel versus towing bumper hitch - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #41

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I can't believe they won't sell these little diesel Rangers in the U.S. because they're afraid it would cut into their F-150 sales! I'm not going to buy an F-150, but I'd love to have one of these Rangers. I guess that's why there are so many Tacomas and Frontiers on the road... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I think that it is important for the manufacturers to know that we watch the world market. Equally so for their marketing departments to know that the demand is still here.
This one caught my eye: Is a Cummins-Powered Nissan Frontier on the Way? - PickupTrucks.com News

Waiting to see if the Chevy/GMC equivalents will be a reality.
The combined torque and highway fuel efficiency of these little diesel engines in a mid-sized pickup platform is amazing. Someone please bring it to the U.S. market. Dale
Old 02-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #43

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Dale, GM announced it would have a diesel option on the Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon for 2015. Not a Ford, Tacoma, or Frontier, but hey.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (Previously 2004 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel)
I've owned both (Scamp 5er and now a 21 ft. Bigfoot). The 5er was the easiest trailer I've ever pulled (and I've pulled several). Easy to back even with only one axle (the Bigfoot has two). Tracked well going down the road. No issues with passing vehicles. Plenty of room in the bed of the truck with the Scamp hitch for carrying other items.

The Bigfoot isn't bad to tow and maneuver by any stretch, but the 5er was simply a breeze. So, if ease of towing were the only consideration, the Scamp would win. The Bigfoot wins in several other categories, however.
Karen T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #45

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Francesca, I'm sure each 5th wheel camper manufacturer has recommendations and limits, although I've not looked into those yet. (Donna, do you know what Escape lists for their 5'ers?)

Top side rail on our F-250 bed is 56 inches! That's a problem that I made worse when I ordered it with the heavy duty suspension package, too. My wife and I usually hang onto vehicles until they drop dead, and there was a thought this truck would last a long time and eventually end up in Colorado with a snow plow on the front. With the weight of the diesel engine up front already, it just seemed like a good idea to beef up the suspension - not realizing the extra spring leafs also added to the rear would lift the bed height several inches. Not a problem for the box hitch, just needed a deeper drop on the ball mount. But it's tight for even some gooseneck-type 5th-wheel trailers. We'd probably have to lift a fiberglass 5th wheel camper better than a foot to make it work, and we're not going there. For the time being, we're happy with our Highlander pulling our little EggCamper. But when the time comes, we'll probably replace the Highlander with a mid-sized pickup that could also tow a 5th wheel camper if we decided to go that way in the future. It's always fun to ponder and dream... Dale
Frankly, I wonder what you'd get from upsizing to a fiver, especially since it sounds like you'd have to buy a new truck to tow it. This strictly based on the height of the rails on the (very fuel-efficient) one you have....

In both the Scamp and the Escape, primary difference from a bumper-pull next "smaller' trailer is that up front permanent bed...which space really can't be used during the day for any other purpose.

Unless one has kids/relatives/hangers on that must also be provided with sleeping accommodations, I just don't see the benefit.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:39 AM   #46

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Francesca, I'm sure each 5th wheel camper manufacturer has recommendations and limits, although I've not looked into those yet. (Donna, do you know what Escape lists for their 5'ers?)

Top side rail on our F-250 bed is 56 inches!
Dale
My 2012 F150 is 56" to the top of the tailgate and 34" to the bed, Escape asked for these measurement to size the 5th wheel accordingly. Supposedly, they add a 3 or 4" to the frame to accommodate the higher bed in newer 1/2 ton trucks. No specs out as yet. I've read that one of the main reason Escape is coming out with a new model FW is to fit the taller full size trucks.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:59 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Dale
My 2012 F150 is 56" to the top of the tailgate and 34" to the bed, Escape asked for these measurement to size the 5th wheel accordingly. Supposedly, they add a 3 or 4" to the frame to accommodate the higher bed in newer 1/2 ton trucks.
My Scamp 5er was lifted so it worked well with my 1/2 ton Titan.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:34 AM   #48
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen T View Post
I've owned both (Scamp 5er and now a 21 ft. Bigfoot). The 5er was the easiest trailer I've ever pulled (and I've pulled several). Easy to back even with only one axle (the Bigfoot has two).
Good day Karen. Luv those 21' Bigfoots. Did you pull it with a full size truck and wondering if it you needed to use a WDH of some kind? thnxs.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #49

MC1,

I pull the Bigfoot with a Toyota Sequoia and have an Equalizer hitch. It's a very good setup.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:07 AM   #50

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
Dale you bring up good points about bed height. We are towing with a Dodge Ram 2500 2WD. The original bed height was 54". I removed the spring spacers and overload springs and now the truck/trailer sets level with the 5.0 @ 50". Escape accommodated the higher truck beds with spacer blocks in the frame. Keeping everything as low as possible improves entry into the truck and trailer. One must also take clearance between the bed and trailer in consideration. A few early owners hit and damaged their full size truck beds when their trailer frame came in contact while pulling over uneven ground. I always try and keep everything below bed height. Having said all this, the new Escapes 5.0TA will have two spring and axle sets which will hopefully accommodate full size truck beds much better.

"I haven't traveled everywhere...but it's surely on my bucket list."
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:16 AM   #51
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
MC1,

I pull the Bigfoot with a Toyota Sequoia and have an Equalizer hitch. It's a very good setup.
Sounds good Karen. Thnxs for the update.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #52

Trailer:
It would be interesting to see the last US-sold Ranger, the current worldwide-except-US Ranger and the F-150 pictured side by side as I think the current Ranger is much nearer the F-150 in size that the last US Ranger. I don't think anyone anywhere in the world makes pickups that size any more, except for a few oddball pickups made with the front end from a passenger car.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #53

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
Quote:
I've owned both (Scamp 5er and now a 21 ft. Bigfoot). The 5er was the easiest trailer I've ever pulled (and I've pulled several). Easy to back even with only one axle (the Bigfoot has two). Tracked well going down the road. No issues with passing vehicles. Plenty of room in the bed of the truck with the Scamp hitch for carrying other items.

The Bigfoot isn't bad to tow and maneuver by any stretch, but the 5er was simply a breeze. So, if ease of towing were the only consideration, the Scamp would win. The Bigfoot wins in several other categories, however.
Thanks Karen. I am learning a lot from the posters on this thread, especially the discussion of height of newer pickups, which has been a concern for me.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:18 PM   #54

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
It would be interesting to see the last US-sold Ranger, the current worldwide-except-US Ranger and the F-150 pictured side by side as I think the current Ranger is much nearer the F-150 in size that the last US Ranger.
Everything that's old is new again...The Ranger started as a half ton, and there was a "heavy half" version, too. We have a 1978 Ranger Lariat heavy-half that's been waiting for a new cab since my husband's unfortunate encounter with a tree that he wasn't expecting to have fallen across the bottom of our driveway.

It's equipped just like the one in the below vid- 400CI engine, glasspack exhaust...the works. Listen to that baby growl... Now, THAT's a truck!

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #55

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
I had a 78 Ranger Flareside, unless I'm mistaken it was an F100. Mine was eaten by a caddie. My first brand new vehicle.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:27 PM   #56

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Frankly, I wonder what you'd get from upsizing to a fiver, especially since it sounds like you'd have to buy a new truck to tow it. This strictly based on the height of the rails on the (very fuel-efficient) one you have....

In both the Scamp and the Escape, primary difference from a bumper-pull next "smaller' trailer is that up front permanent bed...which space really can't be used during the day for any other purpose.

Unless one has kids/relatives/hangers on that must also be provided with sleeping accommodations, I just don't see the benefit.
Francesca,

I'm sure everyone interested in a 5th wheel camper has their own reasons. For us, I'm more of a night owl, and my wife likes it totally dark when she sleeps. So a separate sleeping area would let her go on to bed before me without my reading, movie-watching, etc., disturbing her. As Donna pointed out, having the bed out of the main cabin gives more space for other things like more countertop for food preparation, entertaining, etc. We'd also like the option to bring our old yellow lab with us, and that gives all of us more floor space without tripping over each other. Other than the mechanics of matching 5th wheel to towing vehicle, our only real concern with camping in a 5th wheel, oddly enough, is thinking about having to go down those stairs in the middle of the night to the bathroom! Any of you out there with a 5th wheel ever fall down those stairs in the dark? Hurt much? Dale
Old 02-09-2014, 03:30 PM   #57

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Dale, since neither the Scamp nor the Escape are stand-up/walk around lofts... I plan on using my seat to go down the steps. Like a toddler. I'll be camping alone, I don't want to fall and knock myself out....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #58

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I plan on using my seat to go down the steps. Like a toddler.

I couldn't resist it. Don't forget your bear.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:21 PM   #59

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
I couldn't resist it. Don't forget your bear.
Okay, I won't!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 04:43 PM   #60

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
Almost till I learned to place my feet squarely on the steps. Only two steps. The Escape fifth has storage in the bottom step with a carpeted loose top. Step too far on the edge and it will flip. There are mods for this. When I can no longer climb inside or get up into bed, I guess I'll stay home and die.
There seems to be a lot of 5er bashing. I never see many for sale and those resale fast. Guess their not as bad as many would like to think. I love mine!

"I haven't traveled everywhere...but it's surely on my bucket list."
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote