Towing fifth wheel versus towing bumper hitch - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #61

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Everything that's old is new again...The Ranger started as a half ton, and there was a "heavy half" version, too. We have a 1978 Ranger Lariat heavy-half that's been waiting for a new cab since my husband's unfortunate encounter with a tree that he wasn't expecting to have fallen across the bottom of our driveway.

It's equipped just like the one in the below vid- 400CI engine, glasspack exhaust...the works. Listen to that baby growl... Now, THAT's a truck!

They all seem to grow over time. I haven't looked up the specs, but I think the current model Tacoma is just about as big now as the original Tundra was when it first came out. And the Tundra has morphed into a monster. I overheard a former Tundra fan say that when he upgraded to the new model this year, it wouldn't fit into the same garage where he kept his previous one. He's not a Tundra fan anymore and is looking to downsize.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #62

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Dale, my current tug is a 2000 Ford F-150 Triton V-8 with 156,000+ miles on it. I will be buying a new truck, just can't decide WHAT? They're all UGLY... look really angry with those big ole grills. The truck brands with smaller grills are ugly for other reasons. Sigh. It's all about the visuals! I care less about the color than the over all look.
Donna, a lot of us out here enjoy your perspective and respect your opinion, and we'll be curious to know what you final decide to pull your new Escape 5th wheel with and how you like. So please keep us posted.... Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:33 AM   #63
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Clinkenbeard View Post
There seems to be a lot of 5er bashing.
With the 5ers there is only one way to make the connection with few variables to get wrong.
I think TT's take the big bash too. It is because most are not set up optimally thus the drive/feel/handling suffer.

Classic example: This RVer reported that for safety reasons he keeps his speed under 50MPH because anything over that the ride gets sketchy.
Attached Thumbnails
truck scarry 3.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:02 AM   #64

Name: David & Sandy
Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
Texas
Nice picture. I believe that's my old rig. I see that down here. Usually it involves a big stick built fifth wheel and 18' fishing boat passing everything on the highway except the gas station.

"I haven't traveled everywhere...but it's surely on my bucket list."
David Clinkenbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #65

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Fifth wheels and goosenecks will always tow better.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM   #66

Name: Monica
Trailer: Exploring fiberglass, 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 4.3L V6
Michigan
I am enjoying the posts here. Thanks everyone. I am glad I posed the question. Your replies have been very helpful.
drstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:44 PM   #67

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Fifth wheels and goosenecks will always tow better.
Not one for generalizations are you?

I have seen 5'ers that tow like a sled of rocks and trailers you don't even know are there. There definitely are exceptions.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:04 AM   #68

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-breaker View Post
Not one for generalizations are you?

I have seen 5'ers that tow like a sled of rocks and trailers you don't even know are there. There definitely are exceptions.

I assumed people would realize I was talking about equal trailers, perhaps I shouldn't have. Obviously a properly built and loaded bumper pull can handle better than a poorly built and loaded gooseneck/fifth wheel. How many gooseneck/fifth wheels have you seen with sway control or weight distribution? All other things being equal, the gooseneck/fifth wheel will tow better.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote