Towing Fool! This video will fill your underpants. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Briantb View Post
Thanks for the link, Brian...lots there that seems to indicate that despite the obvious stupidity of the guy passing the snowplow, the guy that got hit might have had an opportunity to avoid the ensuing disaster.

Here quoting:
Quote:
Ginter said he was travelling between 70 km/h and 80 km/h in a zone where the speed limit was 90 km/h, and that he tried to stop as soon as he realized what was happening.

"As soon as he realized"??? Shoulda modified yer speed a little more from "no snow" conditions limits and looked up sooner there, Guy.

Keep yer eyes on the road, and fer cryin' out loud, especially SLOW DOWN when conditions call for it, folks!
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:12 PM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Have we a back seat driver?
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:37 AM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I traveled that section of the road on December 30..if he was going that slow that was slower than most truckers go..
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Same around here, Brian. If the roads are that clear, almost all vehicles, trucks included, are doing at least the speed limit. If you drive slower just to avoid conflict with idiot drivers, like the guy passing the plow, you would take forever to get anywhere.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Fiberglass RV mobile app
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Haven driven this year a number of times through areas that the road conditions look pretty much like the photos Jim posted earlier - actually through the same area as well I can tell you that most of the big trucks do not normally slow down much.

As been said if the driver of the truck with the camera was going 10 mph or more below the speed limit he is the exception rather than the rule. I have pulled over to let big rigs pass me many times when I am just not comfortable to be traveling at the same speed as they. In particular going down hill. They will tailgate & make it clear they want you to go faster or pull over to let them by. Worse still if you don't try and pull over as much as you can to let them by they will try and pass you using the adjacent lane which more often than not has few tracks on it - which is pretty darn scary when they do that!

Having looked at the video again it occurred to me that although the spot the semi tried to pass on was not a good spot and the main cause of the situation it may be that the plow driver also contributed a little to making a not good situation worse. Perhaps they were not paying as much attention as they should have been to what was happening behind or beside them which may have contributed to why it took the semi that was passing so long to get back in behind him. They may have panicked and hit his brakes for a moment thus preventing the passing semi from getting back in behind him faster than they did. I wonder if the ploy driver stopped afterwards ... I bet he didn't!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:07 AM   #26

Name: Jorah
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I drive tractor-trailer for a living. I'll be the first to admit...there are a lot of REALLY BAD truck drivers out there. However, I have many, many years experience driving mountain passes, in ice and snow. We all pass plows. It's ok when it's safe. Often times the road is no worse ahead of a plow. A thing about driving a truck up hill, that most people don't understand is momentum. If you go to slow up hill, gravity can overcome your forward momentum. Then you spin out and are stuck. Of course on the way back down I generally go slower, as that same momentum is working against me. There are many factors that dictate speed on snow and ice, weight, grade, pitch, lighting, visibility, road conditions traffic conditions, chains, etc... A good driver can ride this fine line. Even the best driver can and will find them self in a unwinnable situation, eventually. You spend enough time in those conditions, even if you do everything right, your bound to have a problem. It's easy to second guess a driver afterwards.
The "bad" should not have passed the plow, right there.
The dash cam guy is right. You hit the brakes in those conditions? Your going to get a chance to say hello to the back of your trailer.
As far as mocking him for screaming? Who here wouldn't do the same? It can be a "white knuckle" experience driving in these conditions. Ten hours a day of actual driving, in a 12-14 hour day, like this is exhausting and leaves you all "keyed up." We're out there we see, all the time, what happens on the roads. He had the very real possibility of a had on collision or punching through that guard rail. I've seen both, it's not good. He may be a "big bad truck driver screaming like a girl." But, we (truck drivers) die all the time. It's in the top ten of the deadliest jobs.
I practically LIVE in this truck, I don't want to DIE in this truck!

Ok rant over, I meant no offense to anyone.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #27

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Thanks hariph creek for clarifying what many drivers do not understand. Having lived for years in Thunder Bay and travelling east on both 11 and 17 I have seen a few close calls and trucks buried in snow into rock cuts and wondered what happened to the driver. That section of Hwy 11 has few passing lanes which when they are there they are uphills and hard for trucks to pass another.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:15 PM   #28

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
CBC reports today that the OPP were able to enhance the video, tracked down the 31 year driver of the transport attempting to pass the snow plow and are charging him under the highway traffic act.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #29

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/news/story/1.2525732

Here is the link to the update
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Thanks for the update. Glad to see/hear the police put so much time into it. I was a little worried they wouldn't bother. Suspect all the attention the video got on the internet helped push them on a little.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
A further update on this incident.

Akmal Hayat accused of being trucker in near-crash video that went viral - Thunder Bay - CBC News
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #32

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
There's nothing wrong with passing a plow truck. There's something wrong with passing ANY vehicle in that spot.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote