towing help - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 08:14 PM   #21

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Words

Hey, someone used the word facetious. Did you know it’s one of the few words in the English language that has all the vowels in order?
Towing our 21 at about 4400 lbs with a 2012 Toyota Highlander with 180, 000 miles on it. Tires are good, Brakes are fair, got safety tubes, I ain’t scared. With proper credit to Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen. Hot Rod Lincoln.
Iowa “Gimlets are better than Giblets” Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:13 PM   #22

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
My personal situation is having 5000 lb tow capacity to tow our Scamp 13 is important to us. Not just to tow the 2500 lb trailer. But all the crap we take with it. Like pop up awning, Ice chests, bikes, tools, chairs and other such nonsense.

We are still working so trailer use is for vacation days. Travel, setup and enjoy a week or so. If the kids meet us there, there is so much more stuff to take. We use up more space because its not a travel trailer going place to place. How you use your trailer should be taken in account too.

Our trailer has been towed with several rigs by us. 1974 Bronco 2000lb capacity, 2001 Nissan Pathfinder 5000lb capacity, 2006 Jeep Liberty 5000lb capacity and my 2016 Toyota Tacoma over 6000lb capacity. Extra capacity means better brakes, better cooling and less mpg drop when towing.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:24 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Extra capacity means better brakes, better cooling and less mpg drop when towing.
And, less unexpected maintenance.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:05 PM   #24

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Just got home after a 3 month free range eggie trip, there seems to be lots of newbies, people setting out for the first time or two. It is surprising what there is to learn, s o I guess the old hands should be looking out for the new folks, if your neighbors camping is fun for them, it makes it nicer for everyone.
One problem seems to be that the salespeople do not know how to tow or use the products they sell.
My choice for a trailer that size would be a Toyota Tacoma, or we have had good lu ck with Ford Rangers, once towed a 4,000 lb engine behind a bronco ll for 400 miles, but then experience with all kind of trailers including logging trucks in the mountains came in very handy.
Suggest you tour around the local campgrounds look for small trailers and talk to the owners about what they use to tow and what they would change.
I like pickups with a canopy it keeps the gear you need for camping out of the drivers cabin & a little dirt don't hurt the carpets and upholstery that way.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:32 PM   #25

Name: gretchen
Trailer: scamp 13'
Washington
We tow our 13' scamp with a 2017 ford escape. It has the 2.o.l engine with the tow package It is rated for 3500 pounds. Without the tow package it is rated for 1500 pounds. We did have to add a 7 pin connector line and and a brake controller linne
gretchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:27 AM   #26
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I easily tow my Trillium (made by Trilliumrv) with my V6 equipped Frontier. I realize you have excluded a pickup. FWIW, I find the double cab short box makes a very nice tow vehicle. Loaded for a long trip, with a few gallons of water and a full propane tank, my trailer weighs about 1800 lbs. When I bought it, brakes were optional but later the 13' trailers all came with 7" brakes. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
_20170422_113035.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:46 AM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
and a peterbilt can tow a midsized house.
Sorta like this?!
Attached Images

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 01:43 PM   #28

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'm in the double it for a guide, so 1,500 pound trailer I'd be looking at 3,000 plus tow rating. Watch out for tongue weight limits, some of those are crazy low versus tow rating.

Any of the 3,500 pound rated vehicles on Jon's list would be a good choice IMHO. I would prefer one that comes with a tow package, including tranny cooler, a brake controller and 7 pin wiring.

+100 Those double cab/short bed trucks are sweet, and are very similar to an SUV comfort wise, but with the additional functionality of a pick up.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:02 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Trillium 4500 paired with 2011 Ford Escape

We tow our Trillium 4500 (1480 pound empty weight) plus two people plus cargo in TV plus cargo in camper with our 2011 Ford Escape. The Ford Escape came with the 3500 lb. tow package including a class II hitch, trans cooler, and 4pin connector. We added brake controller, 7 pin connector, etc. The camper actually came with brakes.

We have towed through mountains, etc and all weather conditions with no difficulty, over 3 years and thousands of miles...
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #30

I have a 2005 Toyota Tacoma 4-cylinder, 150 hp 2wd with manual transmission. It's towing capacity is rated at 3500. In theory it should be able to pull a 2000lb or 2500lb trailer, at least on a flat highway. Where I live where there are lots of highways with high mountain passes and steep grades. The hills put a lot of strain on the motor that you don't experience when driving on flat or rolling country. Is there a rule of thumb for estimating the safe towing capacity under hilly / mountainous conditions? Say 75% or 50% of the manufacturer's stated towing capacity?
tocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:06 AM   #31

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
my theory

in the old days well the 70s semis ran with not huge motors those drivers knew one thing about pulling use your gears. that is what they are there for think you are king of the road because your tv doesn't shift up a hill. what have you paid for that power? what is it costing you to buzz up the mountain?

I tug with a 2015 ford edge eco automatic when tugging I put it out of o/d and use gearing when going up and down a mountain. no brakes on the trailer I know I will get flamed but remember whatever gear you go up the mountain is the final gear you use going down the semi guys use this too matter of fact I learned it from them!

so what if you go into crawl mode going up you are on vacation whats the hurry use patience! I usually grab a spot behind the semis and enjoy the scenery I am not driving a race car!

slow down enjoy

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:12 AM   #32

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Towing

From the information given, it would appear to me that you are asking two different questions.
First: Is this tow vehicle capable of towing the trailer you have? This goes to engine power, transmission and rear end gear ratio that will allow you to keep up with the traffic, run in a gear that allows an acceptable engine rpm and does not harm the engine. This somewhat depends on the condition of the engine, clutch, transmission etc. If the combination you have “ can answer yes to all these questions” should be no problem. The other side of the coin is the other side of the mountain. Your understanding of engine braking in descent by gear selection, judicious use of the tow vehicle brakes, and properly functioning electric brakes on your trailer should provide for safe towing. It’s my opinion that running engine speed up into the 4,000- 4,500+ rpm range on the descent in a lower gear does no harm to an engine in good condition, running the correct viscosity oil with a properly functioning cooling system. Watching the gauges and running proper tire pressures are always part of attentive operion of vehicles. Others may have varying opinions generated from a lifetime of experiences similar to mine.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #33

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
Manufacturers towing rates are usually pretty conservative, I would not worry about the truck with a trailer that is lighter than they recommend. I live in the mountains and for years had a 4cyl Toyota Sunrader motor home. You will be a bit slow on the hills, and you should shift down for downgrades. Use the gears more than if you were running light, and you will be OK. Do use common sense it is a small engine but will do the job.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:49 AM   #34

Registry
As important tow rating is, payload on trucks can be more important. My F150 runs out of payload capacity at about half of its tow rating. Now with a 9,800 pound tow rating I’m still OK!

I used to live in western WA state. Got tired of going up Vantage grade at 29mph, slower than the big semis. If you can’t keep up with traffic, then you are a hazard to other vehicles. Now hanging out in the slow lane with the trucks is not a problem. But if you can’t keep up with them?

Payload on F150s can be surprisingly mediocre! The more loaded your truck is, the lower the payload. The only way I can stay within the payload limit and yet use my tow rating is to pull a flat tow farm trailer or similar.
Old 04-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
...And regardless a tranny cooler is a really good idea.
Not needed with a manual transmission, assuming this response was intended for tocoa. If it was merely a general statement, then yes.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #36

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma View Post
I am a new member in need of advice. I bought a Trillium RV with a weight of 1500 lbs. The vehicle I own (2001 Suzuki Vitara) is inadequate to tow it (safely or legally). It can only tow 1500 lbs. Aside from a pick up truck, what is a good vehicle to buy to tow my new RV.
I've learned quite a lot about towing, and have found that many SUV's don't come with tow packages at all. Then they progress up 1500 lbs, then 3500 lbs. etc. (Ford Escape) I live on Vancouver Island in western Canada and don't know precisely what to ask for. Slim pickens around here. I can't afford new but a good used SUV is preferable (around $25,000. is OK) Plse let me know what works for you, I would really appreciate it. Thanks ahead of time, N
Hi: Norma... For some on this forum anything less than a "Peterbuilt" just won't do. I say something with a 3500# tow cap should fit the bill!!! Our tug has a 6100# tow cap... and pulls 4500#s with ease.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040737.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:09 PM   #37

Registry
For a Trillium you would be well served by the 3,500 pound rated vehicles on Jon’s list.

Tranny cooler was a general statement.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #38

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Sorta like this?!
Or a decent sized boat?
Attached Thumbnails
ASC_7494.jpg  
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 12:51 PM   #39

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
As important tow rating is, payload on trucks can be more important. My F150 runs out of payload capacity at about half of its tow rating. Now with a 9,800 pound tow rating I’m still OK!
generally true, but I was pleasantly surprised with the numbers for my 2002 F250 diesel. numbers here are all rounded

max tow at hitch: 12500 lbs
max payload: 2000 lbs
curb weight: 6800 lbs
truck GVWR: 8800 lbs
GCWR: 20,000 lbs.

way I see it, I can tow 10000 lbs with 1000 lb tongue weight, and still have 1000 lbs of onboard payload, and still be under GCWR

the 7.3 turbodiesel doesn't even notice a 4000 lb fiberglass trailer, it gets 17 MPG towing.

back to the 4 cyl tacoma stickshift, yeah, just downshift. whatever gear you'd be using normally, use one less. my 6 speed taco, I cruise with the trailer in 5th, I use 4th on most any hill, and on really long steep hills, I might have to use 3rd. BFD, it goes just fine, my biggest complaint was gas tank range, as I was getting 10-13 MPG towing with it, and with a 21 gallon tank minus a 3 gallon reserve, thats as crummy as 180 miles per tank, which if you're burning miles on the interstates is just way too often.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote