towing help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2018, 11:14 AM   #1

Name: Norman
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
towing help

I am a new member in need of advice. I bought a Trillium RV with a weight of 1500 lbs. The vehicle I own (2001 Suzuki Vitara) is inadequate to tow it (safely or legally). It can only tow 1500 lbs. Aside from a pick up truck, what is a good vehicle to buy to tow my new RV.
I've learned quite a lot about towing, and have found that many SUV's don't come with tow packages at all. Then they progress up 1500 lbs, then 3500 lbs. etc. (Ford Escape) I live on Vancouver Island in western Canada and don't know precisely what to ask for. Slim pickens around here. I can't afford new but a good used SUV is preferable (around $25,000. is OK) Plse let me know what works for you, I would really appreciate it. Thanks ahead of time, N
Norma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:13 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
towing help

Welcome, Norma!

I commend your commitment to safe towing practices. With a budget of $25K I would keep a minimum of $1000 in reserve for towing set-up costs (hitch, wiring, brake controller, transmission cooler,...). Some of the necessary equipment may already be included, but usually not everything.

For your trailer a tow rating of 2000 pounds would be marginal, 2500-3000 pounds better (but not many in that range), and 3500 pounds (common) gives you a comfortable margin. It depends in part on how many people, pets and how much cargo you plan to carry in the vehicle.

There are lots that qualify. Here are a few I can think of off the top of my head, but remember that the tow rating often depends on the year and trim level, engine, tow package, etc.

2000#: Mazda CX-5 2.5L, Ford Transit Connect, VW Tiguan
2500-3000#: Subaru Outback (tongue weight limit is 200 pounds), Suzuki Grand Vitara
3500#: Toyota RAV4 V6, Mazda CX-9, Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, Kia Sorento, Ford Escape Titanium, Chevy Equinox V6, Jeep Cherokee V6, most minivans (often overlooked and a good value if you don't need AWD)

For a little more capability there are compact pickups, like the Toyota Tacoma, Nissan Frontier, Honda Ridgeline, Ford Ranger, and Chevy Colorado, and any number of somewhat larger crossovers with tow ratings in the 3500-5000# range (Toyota Highlander, Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pathfinder, Honda Pilot, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford Explorer, Ford Flex, and others). Many of them are available used within your budget. Nothing wrong with a little overkill, especially if you will bring extra people and gear.

I'm sure I've missed some, but that's a start.

Our Honda Pilot (2011 LX 2WD, rated 3500#, purchased lightly used) works well for us because we travel with four people. The back folds down flat for extra sleeping space, and the extra seats come in handy when visiting relatives. A bonus was that in 2011 every Pilot came fully equipped for towing (including brake wiring). I hesitate to make a specific recommendation for someone else because vehicle preferences are so subjective.

When you locate a possible vehicle, read the towing section of the owner's manual or pull it up online to determine the specific towing requirements for that model and year (google something like "2015 Subaru Outback owner's manual"). Don't depend on the seller, dealer, or third party website like Edmunds. If a factory tow package is required, a dealer can look up the VIN to determine whether the specific vehicle you are looking at has the package.

I wish it were simpler, but each manufacturer has different ways of packaging and selling tow-rated vehicles. Many of them require additional equipment not available through the dealer. There are various RV and trailer shops that can complete the set-up. You may have to follow a number of leads before the right one comes along. Be patient and persistent.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:52 PM   #3

British Columbia
Thank you so much Jon, for such great info...it appears I have a ton to learn. I am lucky that I am not in a rush...my RV goes in for some re and re: ing shortly. So I do have some time. Looking forward to using my redone RV soonest. Thanks again Jon, from N
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #4

Arizona
Registry
Forgot to ask- does the trailer have electric brakes? I would consider that essential for the smaller vehicles you are considering. My Pilot specifies trailer brakes over 1000#.
Old 03-29-2018, 02:18 PM   #5

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
One more thing about tow vehicles, check what the towing package gives you very carefully. A lot of brands have a towing package that will give you the 4 pin connector only and not the 7 pin connector. Some brands also come pre-wired for a brake controller, others don't. Assume you will need brakes for your trailer and a brake controller for your Tow Vehicle and shop accordingly.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

British Columbia
Yes Alex and Jon the trailer came with drakes...what class I don't know yet...but will ask RV Doctor for that info. They are doing the re and re...thank you both again? N
Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #7

Arizona
Registry
towing help

Norma, brakes don't have "classes," but hitches do.

You will probably be installing a Class II or III hitch, depending on the vehicle you buy. Class II hitches are rated for up to 3500# and Class III up to 5000#. Generally you would install a hitch comparable to the tow rating of the vehicle, even if you don't plan to use the full capacity.

They do make Class I hitches rated for 2000#, but that would be very marginal for your Trillium. They're more for bike racks and very light utility trailers.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:23 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
A Ford Expedition or a Chevy Suburban could make an excellent tow vehicle for a fiberglass trailer.
and a peterbilt can tow a midsized house.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:34 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
If you are going to use a weight distribution hitch, you need a Class III hitch receiver for WDH. That's what I would get ( and have ).
Old 03-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
A Ford Expedition or a Chevy Suburban could make an excellent tow vehicle for a fiberglass trailer.
Facetious??
If not then what would you need to tow a small 26ft stickie like the one below,
let alone an average to large travel trailer or a toy hauler?

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #11

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Or you could get the Expedition and a cargo trailer and carry the rig below inside out of the weather!
Attached Thumbnails
443185479_16cf4ba618.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #12

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma View Post
.. Aside from a pick up truck, what is a good vehicle to buy to tow my new RV. ...
Between these two references you should be able to create a good short list to go vehicle shopping with. And when shopping, as stated, look carefully at what else it will really take to get the vehicle ready for towing your trailer.

Trailer Towing Guides | How Much Can You Pull | How to tow safely | www.trailerlife.com

https://www.consumerreports.org/cars-used-cars/
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 04:55 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Facetious ? NO. I have no idea what it would take to tow a 26 ft stickie or a toy hauler . I have never had reason to calculate what a large trailer requires. I thought we were discussing tow vehicles for FG trailers
My F250 Diesel would tow most any stickie, anything up to 12500 lbs via the hitch receiver, or 13000 lbs via a 5th wheel, and with 2100 lbs payload, still have capacity for adequate cargo...

But, the OP was asking about a 1500 lb Trillium, thats on the light side of fiberglass. My old Volvo 240 or 740 wagon would tow that just fine (they both had 3500 lbs tow capacity).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:03 PM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If you are going to use a weight distribution hitch, you need a Class III hitch receiver for WDH. That's what I would get ( and have ).
This thread has taken on an Alice in Wonderland character.

Why would a full-sized, V8-powered SUV or a weight distributing hitch be remotely necessary to tow a 13', 1500-2000# Trillium?

Old 03-29-2018, 06:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Why would a full-sized, V8-powered SUV or a weight distributing hitch be remotely necessary to tow a 13', 1500-2000# Trillium?

If I was having a hitch receiver installed, I would get one suited for WDH, since the price difference is not that much and the labour would be the same.

Just checked etrailer.com
A Curt Class II hitch receiver for my RAV is $129.89.
A Curt Class III for WDH receiver for my RAV is $124.94.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:48 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Let's all stick to helping Norman find a good tow vehicle for his small trailer.

Norman, I would be inclined to tow with any of the 3,500 lb capacity vehicles Jon listed. My daughter uses a Ford Escape for towing her Trillium 1300, which it does very well. No need at all to go with a full sized truck.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:08 PM   #17

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Norma, not Norman.
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlson View Post
Norma, not Norman.
Stev, only the username says Norma, the listed name and the name in the CP say Norman. We maybe could use a confirmation from the OP.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 07:20 PM   #19

Arizona
Registry
towing help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
If I was having a hitch receiver installed, I would get one suited for WDH, since the price difference is not that much and the labour would be the same.
I see your point, but I would only do it if I were installing a 5000# Class III hitch on a 5000# rated vehicle. (As an aside for the OP, some Class III hitches are rated for WDH and some are not.) I would do that against the possibility that I might want to buy a larger trailer at some point in the future.

With a 3500# rated vehicle I would install only a 3500# Class II hitch. They are often more compact and install more neatly behind the bumper fascia with better ground clearance. I would not be comfortable towing a trailer big enough to require WDH behind any of the 3500# rated vehicles. Many of the manufacturers advise against WDH use.

This is a controversial topic, so I acknowledge there's some room to disagree.

I think we can at least agree that WDH is not needed for a 13' Trillium.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:27 PM   #20

I've a friend who tows his 13' Trill with a Honda Element.
He does, I wouldn't.
Not dead yet.
As you can see, I tow my Escape 17 ( 320 lb. tongue weight ) with a RAV4 V6 Sport ( 3,500 lb tow max ) and weight distribution hitch.