Towing in snow - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 1999 Toyota Tacoma
Well, we live in Montana. and on occasion we can start out in June or August on a balmy day and have snow the next. Months on either side of those can bring plenty of snow sometimes.

The biggest thing about towing in snow is to slow down. Increase the distance from vehicles in front of you by 3 times the normal 2 second interval. Don't back up traffic behind you, pull over and let them pass, then resume your trip. Don't get in a hurry. The second big thing is to be prepared, full fuel, full propane, drinking water, food, coats, tire chains, shovel, etc....

I have pulled my Scamp through several blizzards, until I found better weather or until there was place to safely pull off and wait it out. Stay out of chain-up areas alongside the highway, Trucks skidding in and out my not see you in the storm and hit you. Find rest areas or campgrounds, parking lots, etc.

I have pulled in steep snow and ice covered roads to go hunting in November with 4 wheel studded chains on and the rear differential locked for all the traction I could get.

Snow is nothing to take lightly, but by being prepared, with chains, and a complete winter gear setup in the tug and trailer, it will only add a bit of time to the trip and will allow you to sit it out better when you stop.

Just use common sense and enjoy the trip.

Gary Carvajal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #16
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Someone stated that chains were for the drive wheels and not the trailer.
I lived in Susanville CA. for 6 years and did not take my chains off for weeks at a time in the winter.
I had 4 W/D and could go where ever I needed to go without chains. I needed the chains to stop.
I chain my trailer up when I have to chain my truck.
If your vehicle stops or slows down with chains on an icy road your trailer brakes are going to lock the trailer wheels and may start an uncontrollable skid.
If I am wrong I wish someone would let me know.
As far as I am concerned the forgotten function of chains is to stop the vehicle and the trailer as safely as possible.

Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #17
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Someone stated that chains were for the drive wheels and [b]not the trailer.

If I am wrong I wish someone would let me know.
That wasn't me... was it?
Link back to my earlier statement.
In California you must chain up:
  • The [b]Drive wheels of the Tow Vehicle AND
  • The [b]Brake wheels of the Trailer
Could that be construed to mean that if your trailer does not have brakes, it doesn't need chains?
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 05:53 AM   #18
Name: B & N
Trailer: View
I just completed a 2,400 mile trip during the holidays Denver CO to Danville IL and back. Some on interstates and some on state and county roads. Even a few miles on gravel roads. Had snow, ice, wind and torrential rains. Low temperature was 3F with wind chill of -16. When the ice storm hit we just pulled in to a rest area and dropped anchor until it quit. Overall it was an enjoyable trip.
Hey Wolf - I'm not trying to hijack the site - just curious how warm your EggCamper was at 3 F?

Sounds like an adventure to me ;-) Did you start your genny at the rest area or do you have an LP heater. Just curious in case I find myself in the same situation some day.

'Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.' - - Ralph W Emerson
Bill Robison is offline   Reply With Quote