Towing in US, Canada, and UK different you say? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Just looked and towing prep package for Subaru Outback is listed in US brochure as "not available" ? but in Canadian site found "Trailer hitch - Chrome ball (2 inch)" available?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbrew View Post
Andy, I may not have been clear... I was not referring to the Corolla, but rather the model of Toyota that I currently drive, which is the Scion xD. When I looked into towing, I was told by a Toyota salesman that none of their cars carried any tow rating, but that was in 2008, so either he was wrong or the ratings are different in 2010. I do know what it says in my manual... and it says not to tow ANYTHING including a bike rack.

I just took a look at Toyota's US website. Interesting that they list the 1,500 lb rating for the Corolla, but do not list any tow capacity for the Yaris, Matrix, Camry, Prius, or Avalon. Basically, no other "cars" of theirs seems to carry a tow rating. If they do, they certainly aren't listing it on the website. My car shares components with the Yaris, Corolla, ad Matrix. Same engine as the base model Corolla and Matrix.

None of this bothers me, as I know that my car can pull -and stop- my trailer safely. The hitch has very sturdy mounting point. No drilling required... all mounting points existed on the car already. I have pulled trailers for well over 5,000 miles out of the 55,000 miles on the car... probably closer to 8,000 miles of trailering. Most of that is between enclosed Uhaul trailers and my own cargo trailer (got tired of all the Uhaul paperwork and runaround). Only about 1,000 miles of that has been with the Scamp in tow, but we have only had it for a few months.
Yes, I assumed that you were discussing the Corolla because your sign off said 2010 Corolla and you said your car was a Toyota not a Scion. ( I know that Scion is made by Toyota but they are not usually called Toyota's)

It does not suprise me that your car can tow the load, in Asia you frequently see similar models to USA models hauling loads that are many times the rated capacity. That does not mean that it is safe.

In years past, when I was younger, I had 2 Nissan 4 cyl pickup trucks, one after the other. They were both rated to carry 1460 lbs. That weight includes driver, passengers and cargo. I used to pick up crushed rock for my driveway with both of the trucks. I would pull into the stone yard, get weighed, load the crushed rock, get weighed again, pay for the rock and then drive home and unload. I would do this on my way home from work since I passed right by. My typical load of stone would be 3400 lbs plus my 175 lb body weight. Once I had almost 4000 lbs in the truck. I would estimate that over several years, I did this 30 to 40 times maybe more. Never had a breakdown, could accelerate up hills shifting through the gears and put 130,000+ miles on both the trucks before I sold them in good condition. Was that safe? No, it was not even close to being safe and I would not do that now, or recommend that anyone do it, but the truck was capable of going grossly over the rated capacity. I was lucky that nothing ever happened, when I think back, it was not a smart thing to do.

When giving opinions on a site like this some people may read that someone else is successfully going beyond the rated capacity of their vehicle and then try it. They could end up with unfortunate results. I would only recommend that everyone keep within the rated capacities of their vehicles.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #17

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Just looked and towing prep package for Subaru Outback is listed in US brochure as "not available" ? but in Canadian site found "Trailer hitch - Chrome ball (2 inch)" available?
Subaru USA web site lists 2700 lbs tow capacity for the Outback, not sure what the Canada site lists.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #18

Ontario
Registry
The main differences seem to be up front what is offered in brochure and availability of tow package from dealer?
Lots of vehicles have two ratings one standard add a hitch and go and another with tow package.
A lot of towing is common sense as you say Andy B.
I have towed 3/4 yard of crushed stone once behind an Echo sedan well did not intend too; asked for 1/4 yard and loader dropped 3/4, distance was short so did the trip but would not recommend it. Was told Echo could pull and how much and with one exception we only pulled small loads within the limits given.
Trailer brakes, correct tires, proper hitch, coolers and other options as needed make sense.
End of day we all know too drive safe within legal limits.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #19

Ontario
Registry
With the pickup truck your load was in truck box so included in truck total and trailer load is tongue on truck and what we can pull and that is a different mix.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Andy as far as I know the tow weight for Subaru is the same in both Canada and the USA - having said that though I also know the same car in Australia has a higher tow rate. Im assuming its the same car - have an Aussy friend who drove mine who told me they could not find/see any differences between thier Outback and mine. go figure.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 PM   #21

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
Yes, I assumed that you were discussing the Corolla because your sign off said 2010 Corolla and you said your car was a Toyota not a Scion. ( I know that Scion is made by Toyota but they are not usually called Toyota's)

It does not suprise me that your car can tow the load, in Asia you frequently see similar models to USA models hauling loads that are many times the rated capacity. That does not mean that it is safe.

In years past, when I was younger, I had 2 Nissan 4 cyl pickup trucks, one after the other. They were both rated to carry 1460 lbs. That weight includes driver, passengers and cargo. I used to pick up crushed rock for my driveway with both of the trucks. I would pull into the stone yard, get weighed, load the crushed rock, get weighed again, pay for the rock and then drive home and unload. I would do this on my way home from work since I passed right by. My typical load of stone would be 3400 lbs plus my 175 lb body weight. Once I had almost 4000 lbs in the truck. I would estimate that over several years, I did this 30 to 40 times maybe more. Never had a breakdown, could accelerate up hills shifting through the gears and put 130,000+ miles on both the trucks before I sold them in good condition. Was that safe? No, it was not even close to being safe and I would not do that now, or recommend that anyone do it, but the truck was capable of going grossly over the rated capacity. I was lucky that nothing ever happened, when I think back, it was not a smart thing to do.

When giving opinions on a site like this some people may read that someone else is successfully going beyond the rated capacity of their vehicle and then try it. They could end up with unfortunate results. I would only recommend that everyone keep within the rated capacities of their vehicles.
Odd... I don't remember mentioning a 2010 Corolla... I think that is what Borden drives. Anyway, my Scion is a Toyota. In fact, it says Toyota on the title. Scion is not an official car company. In every other country, the same car is sold as a Toyota -- as either the Toyota IST or the Toyota Urban Cruiser.

Towing a 1,400 pound Scamp (well within my car's manufacturer's tow limit) is a lot different than putting more than double the load in a pickup. I don't see how you can say that it is unsafe. The manufacturer rates my car to tow that much. The US import company decides not to transfer that rating to the US manual. This does not change the physics involved.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #22

Ontario
Registry
mcbrew's Scion is what I was quoting from not my Corolla P.S. Toyota Scion is a nice ride they say at Toyota that the Scion will be available this year in Canada.