Towing in US, Canada, and UK different you say? - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2011, 12:41 PM   #1

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Towing in US, Canada, and UK different you say?

(Just a little bit incorrect. I am going by the -manufacturer's- tow rating... Not the -US importer's- tow rating. Volkswagen rates the 2.0 liter diesel Golf to tow 3,300 pounds. Same engine, trans, and everything else as the Golf sold here. Needs a Euro hitch to be able to tow that much, but you can get those here. VW of America decides how to rate the cars here. Toyota rates my car to tow nearly 1,700 pounds. Built on the same assembly line on Japan. Toyota Motor Sales in the US decided not to rate ANY Toyota car for towing. In fact, they say not to even put a bike rack on the back. Odd, how it goes from 1,700 pounds to "can't haul a bicycle.")
This is not based on my car but a Quote worth our attention

Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM   #2

Ontario
Registry
Food for thought!
Casita 16 with 2004 Honda CRV

Old 02-14-2011, 12:45 PM   #3

Ontario
Registry
I for one do not beleave a car in the United States is any less than one made in Canada.
Wonder how others feel?
Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
The truth be known if its an import - then the odds are that the plants in the USA and Canada are mainly assembly plants - with the main components of the cars having been manufactured outside of N/A - so the cars are the same.

Example would be Subaru. The only difference between one made in Canada vs one made in the USA is the configuration of the option packages.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #5

Name: Paul
Trailer: 13' Boler 1977
Ontario
you might want to grab a coffee and sit down to read this thread.....
Considering 13' - towable by VW?

but I agree with you, the cars, (VW in particular) in which we are talking about are all built in MEXICO, therefore they are made the same, .........EXCATLY the same!!!!!

the reason for the lower tow rating here in canada is because of the way the hitch receiver is attached, .....i go through it in detail in the above thread but the basics of it are:

the way the hitches attach are different, here in canada the receiver is bolted to the tow loop on the passenger side, and the drivers side it bolted (with 4 grade 8 bolts) through the thin sheet metal that surrounds the spare tire well.

the Euro hitch is attached by removing the plastic bumper skin and removing the actual bumper, the hitch is then slide into the frame rails (it is actually a unibody car but there are rails there just for adding a Euro Hitch), ......now this bumper is rated for a specific amount of impact (i am unsure of the actual rating but lets call it 10 MPH), by removing this 10 MPH bumper you are breaking canadian law, and this is why we don't have Euro hitches in canada, ..........but if you do remove it and add the Euro hitch your car will be rated for the 3,300 Lbs, not the 2,000 Lbs with the canadian set up......

so the rating in Canada is based on how the Receiver is attached to the car instead of the car itself, cause they are all the same!!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 07:59 AM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've owned Hondas for decades and I just checked our CRV and it was made in Japan; previous Hondas have been made in the USA and Canada. The European models have different engine options; a six speed transmission and a 4 cylinder diesel.

Our Honda has a 5 speed manual transmission (no longer available) and typically we're in 5th gear when towing. Our rule is we down shift if the engine drops to 2000 RPM.

I'm sure 5th gear helps our mileage as does our comparitively low speed when towing.

Norm

Norm
Old 02-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #7

Ontario
Registry
t@b weight is more than our trailer we looked at them

Our trailer was purchased before the car; Corolla was built for the job.
It is rated in Canada but I am told not rated to pull anything in the United States?
Volkswagen rates the 2.0 liter diesel Golf to tow 3,300 pounds. US importer's- tow rating

Yes it is not stock but still
We have a customized car from dealer with full tow package ordered at time of new car purchase.
-progressive transaxle cooler "recommended"
-hitch
-Proportional braking system and 7 pin wiring harness from dealer "required was told for our trailer."

Now for car upgrades:
-B&M 10226 Stage 1 RV heavy duty Shift improver Kit
Just a little extra
-Custom made Class III receiver with weight distribution hitch; told required to meet tongue weight.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:59 AM   #8

Ontario
Registry
VW has available: "Quote"
Trailer Stabilisation, electronic
Electronic trailer stabilisation is a subsidiary function of the electronic stabilisation program (ESP). The system detects any instability of the vehicle that is caused by a trailer being towed at an inappropriate speed. The vehicle and trailer combination is steadied by means of deliberate reduction of the engine torque and appropriate braking of particular wheels. Trailer stabilisation thus makes a significant contribution to increased driving safety.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Toyota rates my car to tow nearly 1,700 pounds. Built on the same assembly line on Japan. Toyota Motor Sales in the US decided not to rate ANY Toyota car for towing. In fact, they say not to even put a bike rack on the back. Odd, how it goes from 1,700 pounds to "can't haul a bicycle.")
This is not based on my car but a Quote worth our attention
The Toyota Motor Sales USA website shows the Toyota Corolla can tow 1500 lbs. I just looked at that rating, and I know that I have looked at tow ratings on other Toyota models in the past, not sure why you say the Corolla can't even haul a bicycle.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbraunton View Post
but I agree with you, the cars, (VW in particular) in which we are talking about are all built in MEXICO, therefore they are made the same, .........EXCATLY the same!!!!!
Do you have some inside information that cars for different markets are exactly the same or is this an educated guess? It is easy for a manufacturer to have minor differences in cars for different markets (suspension for example) and still build them on the same assembly line. Suspension differences would not show up in the specs, but may affect how the car handles when towing, especially in an emergency.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:01 PM   #11

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Andy I have no idea about VW but in the case of Subaru I checked prior to importing mine - called both Subaru Canada and USA Head offices and they both said there cars are the exactly the same as the others - only difference is in what may or may not be included in the various option packages.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM   #12

Trailer:
Assorted thoughts:

- Towing practices are very different in Europe and North America and I think this is the biggest cause of difference in ratings. Europeans can only tow legally up to 50mph (or 60mph under certain conditions), usually tow for shorter distances over smaller mountains and use hitch weight percentages that would be considered dangerously low in North America.

- European tow hitch mountings have to be approved by the vehicle manufacturer. When they say "cannot tow", it is actually illegal to fit a tow hitch (even for a bike rack)! There are no Classes of hitch in Europe - a hitch for vehicle X must be able to carry the load that vehicle X's manufacturer says it can tow. There are no receiver hitches, only a 50mm (1.97 inch) ball set at about 350mm (~14") from the ground.

- Despite the higher tow ratings (trailer weight) in Europe, the maximum hitch weight will be very low by North American standards. For most cars, 50-75kg (110-165 pounds) is the maximum hitch weight. Even a big (by European standards) tow vehicle like the VW Touareg that is rated to tow 3500kg (7700 pounds) has a maximum hitch weight of only 140kg (310 pounds) - just 4%.

- The bodies of the same vehicle model sold in North American and Europe may well be the same, but it is quite likely that the springs, dampers and/or brakes may be different, so those changes may affect the vehicle's towing ability.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #13

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
The Toyota Motor Sales USA website shows the Toyota Corolla can tow 1500 lbs. I just looked at that rating, and I know that I have looked at tow ratings on other Toyota models in the past, not sure why you say the Corolla can't even haul a bicycle.
Andy, I may not have been clear... I was not referring to the Corolla, but rather the model of Toyota that I currently drive, which is the Scion xD. When I looked into towing, I was told by a Toyota salesman that none of their cars carried any tow rating, but that was in 2008, so either he was wrong or the ratings are different in 2010. I do know what it says in my manual... and it says not to tow ANYTHING including a bike rack.

I just took a look at Toyota's US website. Interesting that they list the 1,500 lb rating for the Corolla, but do not list any tow capacity for the Yaris, Matrix, Camry, Prius, or Avalon. Basically, no other "cars" of theirs seems to carry a tow rating. If they do, they certainly aren't listing it on the website. My car shares components with the Yaris, Corolla, ad Matrix. Same engine as the base model Corolla and Matrix.

None of this bothers me, as I know that my car can pull -and stop- my trailer safely. The hitch has very sturdy mounting point. No drilling required... all mounting points existed on the car already. I have pulled trailers for well over 5,000 miles out of the 55,000 miles on the car... probably closer to 8,000 miles of trailering. Most of that is between enclosed Uhaul trailers and my own cargo trailer (got tired of all the Uhaul paperwork and runaround). Only about 1,000 miles of that has been with the Scamp in tow, but we have only had it for a few months.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Andy I have no idea about VW but in the case of Subaru I checked prior to importing mine - called both Subaru Canada and USA Head offices and they both said there cars are the exactly the same as the others - only difference is in what may or may not be included in the various option packages.
Carol, is the Subaru tow rating any different between Canada and USA? If the cars are exactly the same, then the tow ratings should be the same unless it is due to regulations or insurance. There seems to be a lot of speculation that lower tow ratings in the USA are due to reasons other than mechanical differences.