Towing is easy, backing up?, well.... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-14-2012, 12:44 PM   #15

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Why would I like to practice something that is totally frustrating every time I try? THANK GOODNESS FOR PULL THRU SPACES!!!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
Why would I like to practice something that is totally frustrating every time I try? THANK GOODNESS FOR PULL THRU SPACES!!!
LOL because most of the nicest camping spots I have stayed at do not have pull throughs keeping practicing its worth it!

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #17

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
It just occured to me how many "back-in" spots become pull-through spots with a 13' trailer which often allows a "U" turn!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:51 PM   #18

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post

Problem is, you never know when your gonna get into a situation where you have to back yourself out!!!!!!!!!!!

It happened to me, first camping trip out with the Casita! Thank God the trip to pick up the Casita was a straight shot forward for almost a thousand miles . And thankfully my Mom had spent a few minutes teaching me how to back up the day I brought the Casita home (I learned to back it into the barn)!

You don't want to be in the position I was in and not know how. I struggled getting it out of that situation, but I got it out and without blocking the whole street. And around several other large trucks, the one that blocked me into the position of having to back out of it had ran into a building and wasn't moving for a while.

Take the time to learn, in a calm quite manner and you won't regret it!

And yes, the best campsites are the back-ins..................
Old 08-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #19

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
This sounds dumb, but it helps to practice with a toy car and trailer to see how they move together. Once you "get it", you know what the trailer will do based on the movement of the rear end of the car.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #20

Name: P
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I will have trouble if there is an audience.

If no audience--it'll go smoothly.

I do not have a fiberglass trailer, yet, but I have a hard to back up Little Guy teardrop. I have learned to go slowly--very slowly. I also got a different tow rig. My Chevy was too high geared and the clutch would smoke.

The Ford is an automatic and also has 4 low, which I can use when putting the trailer into the shop. The shop has garage doors and lots of stuff to bang into.

And, I have had some unintended practice when I've taken the wrong turn on a bad road. That helped a lot.

At another place, some loggers that were there, picked up my trailer and placed it on the leveling blocks.

Just have a few loggers around. You won't need to back too precisely.
But have some good, homemade pies and cookies to reward them with.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #21

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
okay having read this enough times it may be sinking in. Need to make this more intuitive by practicing. Learning guitar has taught me patience and the satisfaction of small incremental improvements through repetition.

I have done the small back & forth dance. I can back it at a 90 so long as my picked spot is anywhere in a 15 foot width. Know I need to be able to narrow that down. Haven't done any 45 practice yet but think that might be easier. Thanks for all the help.

I think this is an important skill when having a trailer and it will save me $100 month by being able to store it myself in a backed into space.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #22

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpat View Post
I will have trouble if there is an audience.

If no audience--it'll go smoothly.

And, I have had some unintended practice when I've taken the wrong turn on a bad road. That helped a lot.

Do you golf? Same result. :-)

Wrong turn/bad road - That's easy enough to do when camping. This is why I want to be in control of my rig.

Gary
Old 08-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #23

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomfritz View Post
..... Learning guitar has taught me patience and the satisfaction of small incremental improvements through repetition.

I can back a trailer up purdy gud.
I can't play a guitar at all. I tried to learn to play a guitar, and it just wasn't happening ! So my take on it is that anyone who can figure out a guitar can sure as heck learn to back a trailer, really, really good !!

Have fun with it, you'll get it in no time.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:23 PM   #24
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
New tow vehicle, a Subaru. The gas filler is on the "wrong" side. With one of these it's only a matter of time before you are nose to nose with someone at the pumps. Now you can wait while they go inside and get lunch for their whole office (separate checks of course), sign up for a free gas card, use the John, and buy and check $50 worth of one dollar scratch cards (someone has to win!) OR you can learn to back up. Preferably without hitting anything big. Raz
Old 08-14-2012, 06:19 PM   #25

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
dave----i read your backing instructions and they echo my husband's 1000%. he is a supreme backer-upper and has helped many, many fellow campers who aren't. me--well, i am learning. i practice often and usually with our utility trailer, where i can see overtop. that helps. when i get better, i will attempt our outback.

raz---i laughed when i read your "new tow vehicle" post!!! right on!

and i agree, the BEST campsites are back-in ones.
Old 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM   #26

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I don't mind having someone guide me "as needed", second set of eyes and all that, but I could never understand people that walk to the back where you can't see them. DW is pretty good about positioning herself in front and off to the side where she can see my blind spot or a specific hazard. Or point a flashlight at a hard to see hazard "back there" when it's dark.

And for what it's worth I don't mind having to pull forward to get the alignment I need or want. On my best days I can flow right into where I want to go, if it don't happen oh well I pull up and jockey to where I want to be as many times as it takes. Why get frustrated? It's not like I'm trying to impress anyone, just trying to not run over them.... or that tree, the picnic table, the power box......
Old 08-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
New tow vehicle, a Subaru. The gas filler is on the "wrong" side. With one of these it's only a matter of time before you are nose to nose with someone at the pumps. Now you can wait while they go inside and get lunch for their whole office (separate checks of course), sign up for a free gas card, use the John, and buy and check $50 worth of one dollar scratch cards (someone has to win!) OR you can learn to back up. Preferably without hitting anything big. Raz
"Wrong" side? or was it your last vehicle that was on the wrong side? Seems to me its a 50/50 - as it is with cars with the filler on drivers side - all depends on from which direction you approach the pump or which line of pumps you choose as to whether its the wrong side or not.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:17 PM   #28

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Speaking of gas pumps, I learned something this year. If you look at your gas gauge the little pump symbol will have an arrowhead pointing to the side of the car the gas cap is located. It is also typically located on the opposite side of a single exhaust pipe. Dosen't work for duels an it's been a long time since I saw a car that had the gas cap behind the license plat Michael J,