Towing is easy, backing up?, well.... - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2012, 01:31 PM   #41

Trailer: 1972 13 ft Boler American
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Another thing (and someone before did mention this), do not turn your head around and look backwards, instead use your mirrors. Not only will it be easier once you get the swing of things, you have a way wider field of view and can see alongside the trailer.
YES! I learned on old farm pickups with broken off mirrors. Looking backwards was & is a VERY hard habit to break.
LukeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #42

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin G View Post
Many women can back into a site just as well if not better!
they sure can.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #43

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
they sure can.
Just don't have a "knee jerk" reaction when backing up with a clutch!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:05 AM   #44

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Whenever I have helped people learn to back up a trailer, it seems like they are trying to get the trailer to a certain angle and the straighten out the entire rig. What you really want to do is get the arc of both vehicles set up, then maintain it as you back up. This usually involves bringing the wheel a little back towards straight to avoid having the trailer jack-knife. You want a nice, smooth arc made up of both vehicles. If you were to maintain this arc, you could drive backwards in an infinite circle. The circle can be just about any diameter. I find visualization to be key. People are picturing a car and a trailer. You want to think of it as one hinged unit.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:50 AM   #45

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... I find backing up easier if I have something to aim at...like one of the bright orange wheel chaulks or an RV Lego block. This requires you to survey the lay of the land B4 backing in. At night I use the camp lantern to enlighten me.
Staying married and backing up a trailer is easier if you don't let your partner get "Run down"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #46
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Staying married and backing up a trailer is easier if you don't let your partner get "Run down"!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
yea, and she ain't as quick as she used to be
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #47

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Okay, for those of you still not tried of this subject....

I took her out yesterday to practice in a parking lot. I can back up her up straight pretty easy now. Yes the hand going opposite trailer direction works for straightline backing up. Little nudges when she starts to veer one way gets it back in line.

I am still having some problems with backing in when the space is at an angle to my and the trailer. It seems that once I get an angle with the truck and trailer the more I back up the angle usually just gets narrower no matter what direction the wheels get turned. I did notice it would sometime straighten up but that was after a longer distance of backing up and the angle was close to a 180 to begin with.

I see that my only option is to do the back and forward dance until it somehow clicks. But after just a few short sessions practicing I am alot more confident than before and would suggest to anyone uncomfortable with backing up to give it a shot. I consider it vital to know if you are pulling a trailer.

I read earlier that I should be able to backup in a continuous circle. I'd like to be able to master that and probably need a much bigger space than I have been using so far.

Think you got mad skills backin up? Check this out:

It's swedish and looks to be some timed backing up competition. Gets interesting around 1:30.

This one was was a bit ironic. Teaches you how to back up a semi and says he would rather back one up than a boat trailer!

Gary
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomfritz View Post
This one was was a bit ironic. Teaches you how to back up a semi and says he would rather back one up than a boat trailer!
There is a fair bit of truth to this statement, but does need some qualification. I have backed up many a semi trailer with different tractors, and the longer the distance from the hitch to the wheels, the slower it is to respond to corrections and less likely it is to jackknife. This is good when the tractor itself has a large turning radius. On the other hand, a shorter trailer like most 'glass ones, combined with a vehicle that turns sharp allows for way better maneuverability, very much needed to get into some tight spots.

Ever tried backing up a super short trailer, like a portable air compressor or generator. When they start to turn, they quickly will jackknife, and it is tough to correct with some big pickups. Good for reversing practice though.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #49

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Here's another called the "scoop." Sandbox version of Jim's pdf.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:56 PM   #50

Registry
The only thing that they do (or don't do) differently, is to (in this example) cut left for a short bit before they reverse (step 5 in my diagram). This action actually turns the trailer a little bit more, making it that much easier to do. This is something that really helps if the roadway is fairly narrow. Otherwise, the procedure is exactly the same.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-18-2012, 09:45 PM   #51

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
OK folks. After you master backing into a campsite or up your driveway go on to the graduate course - parallel parking. You only get a passing grade if you can do it in one pass and in a spot 3' longer than the combined trailer/tow vehicle length. All curb side wheels must be less than 6" from the curb (and of course none over the curb).

The biggest problem I've found is finding a parallel parking spot long enough, especially at a vacation destination.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 AM   #52

Registry
Not asking too much there, are you Orien?

Parallel parking is not too tough once you get used to maneuvering while reversing, but your expectations might be just a wee tad on the high side.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:05 AM   #53

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Not asking too much there, are you Orien?

Parallel parking is not too tough once you get used to maneuvering while reversing, but your expectations might be just a wee tad on the high side.

I was thinking the same thing! I can parallel park a vehicle with the best of them, but trailer hitched and perfection wouldn't happen. I would be lucky to get it in the slot and if someone pulled out a measureing tape to see if I was exactly 6 inches off the curb, I would slap them! I would flunk for sure........

But like Orlen said, finding a spot is near impossible...... Probably a good thing in my world!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #54

Name: Gary & Sonja
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot B17G
California
Registry
Orlen,

Find a spot and have someone video it.

Would love to see that.

Gary
Pomfritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:27 PM   #55

Registry
Quote:
Orlen,

Find a spot and have someone video it.

Would love to see that.

Gary
Me too! Last year I came close to having to try and do that though. I actually took my trailer (dont ask why) into downtown Portland the last night of shopping before Christmas and did manage to park it less than a block from the store I wanted, it was one of those heart pumping parking jobs but managed to do in the dark without hitting anyone or thing & not holding traffic up for more than a minute or so. Or at least no one was honking at me. Should have taken a photo of that for my trailers book for the intreasting/unusual spots its been parked in.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #56

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Quote:
On the other hand, a shorter trailer like most 'glass ones, combined with a vehicle that turns sharp allows for way better maneuverability, very much needed to get into some tight spots.
I agree; once you have a reasonable master of backing, a small trailer, rather than more difficult, seems to allow a very precise control.
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #57

Trailer: Sold Bigfoot. Shopping for Arctic Fox 22G
Missouri
Learning to back a trailer by reading written instructions is like learning to ride a bicycle by reading written instructions.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:10 AM   #58

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
I guess this is as good a place to put this.

Prior to the purchase of (to be named) Bigfoot. I had one experience of backing up small U-haul trailer. It was memorable and not in a good way. I managed to dent my brand new trucks bumper when it would not go straight no matter how I turned the wheel. Seriously, how does a trailer to continue to jackknife when you turn the wheel either way? This makes no sense to my logical, accountant trained mind. (I'm no rocket surgeon). So it is not without some thought of how do you own a trailer without never backing it up crossed my mind.

So when picking up our trailer a few nights ago, Mike the PO took us out for a lttle test drive and then to a school to practice backing up. I felt that same chill break out when I tried to do so and the damn thing kept turning. It was night and we did not proceed too long, we both knew it would come but daytime would be better and jsts some simple practice.

A few days later (this morning in fact), I had chance to practice. Beleive it or not within about 10 minutes I had it backing up straight! Raising one's nessecity level will do that. What I noticed was the BF has these small fenders over the wheels and when the rig is straight you WILL NOT SEE THEM! Practicing in daylight does help! So little nudges to the wheel to the side that showed up in the side view mirror corrected things easily. Still no pro but hey this is not a bad start. Then moved to 90 degree parking and well let's just say we are still learning, but I can visualize the day in the not see far future where I will be backing up into a 7 foot wide space, texting and balancing a cup of coffee with my free hand.

BTW, the BF is being stored a a nice place where they store them in racks. You drop it off, they move it! Perfect? Not really. it costs way more than I want to pay, but the normal spaces are filled right now and I need to learn how to back up better. So I have some incentive to get this right soon, when my number is called at the regular folks lot.

So yes there is a question to be posed for those who were waiting for the point. It is this.

Imagine a clock, the hour hand is the truck, the minute hand is the trailer. The clock reads 10 (or 5) to 7 (6:50 or so). Can I make it be 6:00, ya know straight by turning the wheel while backing up and NOT going forward? Is this one of thoe brain teaser questions?
It does sound like you should be able to do and I suppose I just need an answer like yes or no to determine my next course of action. You can post the method if you want and I may understand it, but until I plop my butt in the seat and do it 15-20 times (again), it will remain an illusion.

Just in case it's not clear, no matter which way I turned the wheel, time flew and it was already quarter to eight!

Gary/Sonja

Gary wrote this BTW.
^5 thats the ticket,, practice and observe. each trailer has a spot on it thats sort of like a guide,,, you find what works and practice and it eventually comes together at least enough so you can park.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #59

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
hmmm just gave me a great idea for a gathering event,,,, a trailer rodeo, have contests, events and stuff. even classes on different aspects.

set up, hook up, forward manuvers, backing manuvers,safety inspections.

could be a fun , interesting, and educational thing to do ,maybe the first day of an outing .
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #60

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
set up, hook up, forward manuvers, backing manuvers,safety inspections.
could be a fun , interesting, and educational thing to do ,maybe the first day of an outing .
Or just as they arrive and before they fully unhitch and set up all their stuff.... otherwise you may not get to many takers