Towing like you're not even towing? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2015, 01:28 PM   #15
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
The Casita Liberty can be configured into a king size bed. The deluxe has a bath. I think they start in the 16k-17k range. Made in Texas. Raz

Liberty 16' & 17' | Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers!

Old 07-29-2015, 01:30 PM   #16

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Well, it sounds pretty much like the world is your Oyster (LOL).

My personal preference in the medium size range tends towards the BigFoot trailers from Canada. Here's a link: Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer

The 17 & 17.5 foot are about the same size but the latter is later and a bit heavier. Both are single axle rigs and I have a permanent search out for one with which to replace my Hunter... There are a number of them in the U.S. and can also be self imported from Canada, but there are a few things you need to know about that before going up there to look/buy.

The larger BigFoots, 19' to 25' have dual axles and are very nice as well. BigFoot sorts owns the top end in quality (and new, in price as well.) They have a current website and a very few dealers in the U.S.

As far as dealers, All of the major players sell direct, so, except for BigFoot, you won't find any dealers. However most manufacturers have a referral system where you can look at current owners rigs.

To start looking, search through the links on our home page and also look at <fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>

A couple of tips:
1. Right now is the peak selling season, prices will start to drop in October and bottom out in February. There will be as much as a 50% shift in prices high to low season
2. The northeast is a bit sparse for FGRV's, they will be harder to find up that way than, say on the West Coast or FL.
3. Good ones at a decent price usually sell within a day or three after being advertised. If it's still there in a week, something is wrong with it.
4. As per #1, you may have to travel, even here in CA a 500 mile trip is very common.
5. Beware of Scammers, they abound in the FGRV world, especially on Craigslist. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is...
6. Never hesitate to post any questions you may have, there are lots of great peeps here that will help out

BTW: Do you live any where near Scituate? My family (Edward Fullers son) built a place there in about 1628!

Good Luck

Old 07-29-2015, 01:54 PM   #17

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm thinking a Scamp 5th wheel (19 feet) is what you need; so much like towing a horse trailer, hubby says he has to check the mirrors to make sure it is still back there. Queen size bed for YOU and dinette full bed for the furry ones. Shower/toilet and a closet plus lots of stow space. Give it a look.

She is towing with a SUV thus a bumper pull is required.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:01 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchandka View Post
I'm thinking a Scamp 5th wheel (19 feet) is what you need; so much like towing a horse trailer, hubby says he has to check the mirrors to make sure it is still back there. Queen size bed for YOU and dinette full bed for the furry ones. Shower/toilet and a closet plus lots of stow space. Give it a look.
I want to second this, IF you think that the back seat of a crew cab truck could be big enough for your furry crew. I tow my 19D Scamp with a Tacoma, and there are also the Frontier and Colorado/Canyon as small truck options. (Yes, they are not small anymore, but smaller than the rest.)
Old 07-30-2015, 10:18 AM   #19

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Me thinks that the OP expressed an interest in what we call bumper-pull FGRV's as she already has a dedicated tow vehicle that can pull an elephant off it's feet.
Buying a truck and a trailer wasn't in the request. Let's ferget the 5th wheel suggestions.