Towing like you're not even towing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Name: Liz
Trailer: In the market
Massachusetts
Towing like you're not even towing?

Hi all, I'm a newbie!

I have a big bulky square travel trailer, and I absolutely hate driving it over the roads. Since travel is kind of the idea, I'm thinking of selling it and moving on to something more road worthy.

I used to haul horses all over the place, and hauling a horse trailer was so much nicer than it is hauling a boxy travel trailer. My favorite horse trailer was a fiberglass Brenderup, and really it felt like you weren't towing a trailer at all. Smooth as can be. Also love the marine look and the longevity of the fiberglass RV's... from pictures at least since I've never been in one!

I do need some space since I travel with 4 medium sized dogs - they are bed hogs if there's not a couch/bench/dinette to spread out on. And I need a bathroom/shower. Otherwise my needs are modest. I just want a trailer that's fun to haul and comfortable to sleep in.

So, I'm looking for some pointers/feedback/advice on how hauling your fiberglass RV goes. Thank you!
swoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Hi Liz.... What is your tow vehicle?

Trailers that tend to tow the best are ones that have dual torsion axles, have a low center of gravity, have some sort of aerodynamic shape, and are set up optimally.

There are lots of opinions on which size and brand would suit your needs best.

What is your price point?
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Liz and welcome to the group.

First, your title, Towing like you're not even towing? doesn't play well with many of us, if you get the idea.... we want everyone to never forget that they are towing....

Moving ON, I'd bet that your horse trailer(s) had lot's of tongue weight, that's a real tip off for steady towing and a common discussion point hereabouts.

And, Semper Fi isn't a common description, but do know that the Marine's Special Services Division has a number of Casita's for families to use on vacations, so I guess that saying the "Marine look" is appropriate.... (gottcha!)

Anyway, tell us a bit more about your needs. So far it looks like a 16' or 17' FGRV at a minimum, to house the hounds and a shower is a start.

More over, do you want to buy new or used, and, if used, what condition/age can you accept. As many FGRV's are still around after nearly 50 years, there is a wide range to choose from. My own Hunter-Compact-II just turned 43 this year and we just finished a 30 day/5000 mile trip without issues.

And last, what will you be towing with. Some FGRV's aren't as light as they look and some newer vehicles aren't towing rated as high as one might think. Let us know the make, model and year.

And BTW: Contrary to what a certain Airstream owners opinion indicates, single axle FGRV's tow without issue as well. As I mentioned, we just towed ours 5000 miles without as much as a wiggle. There are no driveway Queens at our house.

Good luck, and keep asking questions.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Hi Liz, welcome.

Went from a Starcraft box to an Escape fifth wheel. I feel no more of the bumping around I had with the bumper pull Starcraft, how much is the different shape and how much is going from a FW to a bumper pull I don't know. I can tell the trailer is there when I step on the gas or the brake, it's still about 4000 lbs. Much nicer overall, mpg is about 30% too for the same weight and living compartment size.

We're out by Springfield MA if you get far enough into it to want to see one.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #5

Massachusetts
I'm towing with a Ford Expedition - towing capacity up around 9000# but I'd like to keep it to half that.

Price point under $20k

Vacations for Marines is a selling point for Casita's! Very cool.

Yup bad wording - never good to forget you're towing - my dad is a CDL Class A and started me backing up the lawn tractor with a trailer through obstacle courses when I was twelve. Been all over the country solo with a horse trailer or a camper... towing is second nature! I just don't want to feel like the trailer brakes are going to have to stop the truck, or a stiff wind is going to blow me into a jersey barrier. No fun.

New or used fine with me - just needs to be in ready condition because I really want to just hit the road and drive long distances without worry.

Thank you all!
Old 07-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #6

Massachusetts
Thanks Bob & Deb, wish I could go with a 5th wheel like that! But... four dogs = SUV
Old 07-29-2015, 11:24 AM   #7
MC1

Ontario
What years is your EX Liz? The later ones have independent rear suspension and have a very good reputation as a TV.

With 4 dogs you need space IMHO. With that TV you have many options and can tow a fair sized trailer with ease and comfort.

The key to safe and ease of towing has much to do with the hitch type and set up. Keep this in mind as you go through the process.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:25 AM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
With that price ceiling, just about any Scamp, Casita would be affordable but layouts are now an issue. Your tow is fine but you mention 4 dogs. A fifth wheel has separate sleeping and dining whereas the conventional has a bed and a small dinette. But you need a bumper pull conventional not a fifth wheel. They all have wet baths in that your shower drain is in the floor.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:33 AM   #9

Massachusetts
2007 Ford Expedition - it's a beast! Semi-retired and only used for towing.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:41 AM   #10

Massachusetts
Yes layout is a concern - two share the bed with me, so full size is a little tight but queen is very comfortable. Two need a place to sleep. My current layout has a love seat sized couch and a queen bed and that sleeps everyone! They're too fancy for the floor

Currently also have expansive floor space but that's only valuable on a rainy day, I'll gladly trade off the white knuckle driving for floor space.
Old 07-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #11
MC1

Ontario
Liz.... I know of many Expeditions that are towing 25 to 30' trailers and they tow great with no drama. What size is your trailer? Are you using a WDH? Do you have any pics of your rig? thnxs
Old 07-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #12

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoosh View Post
Yes layout is a concern - two share the bed with me, so full size is a little tight but queen is very comfortable. Two need a place to sleep. My current layout has a love seat sized couch and a queen bed and that sleeps everyone! They're too fancy for the floor

Currently also have expansive floor space but that's only valuable on a rainy day, I'll gladly trade off the white knuckle driving for floor space.
Escape Trailers Escape Trailer Industries – Chilliwack, British Columbia
make a 19' trailer with a queen in back and the front can be turned into a double, the prices shown on website are in Canadian dollars which right now are about $.80 US so a $25,000 CN new Escape can be had for $20K US.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM   #13

Pennsylvania
Registry
In addition there are several Escapes in and around Mass for viewing, if interested you can contact the company and they will arrange a meeting. There are also rallies where you can view various models check here Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV
there are a couple nearby next month.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:20 PM   #14

Name: kacey
Trailer: Former scamp owner
Wisconsin
Towing like there's nothing there

I'm thinking a Scamp 5th wheel (19 feet) is what you need; so much like towing a horse trailer, hubby says he has to check the mirrors to make sure it is still back there. Queen size bed for YOU and dinette full bed for the furry ones. Shower/toilet and a closet plus lots of stow space. Give it a look.
cchandka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The Casita Liberty can be configured into a king size bed. The deluxe has a bath. I think they start in the 16k-17k range. Made in Texas. Raz

Liberty 16' & 17' | Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #16

Well, it sounds pretty much like the world is your Oyster (LOL).

My personal preference in the medium size range tends towards the BigFoot trailers from Canada. Here's a link: Bigfoot RV - Truck Campers & Travel Trailers - Recreational Vehicle Manufacturer

The 17 & 17.5 foot are about the same size but the latter is later and a bit heavier. Both are single axle rigs and I have a permanent search out for one with which to replace my Hunter... There are a number of them in the U.S. and can also be self imported from Canada, but there are a few things you need to know about that before going up there to look/buy.

The larger BigFoots, 19' to 25' have dual axles and are very nice as well. BigFoot sorts owns the top end in quality (and new, in price as well.) They have a current website and a very few dealers in the U.S.

As far as dealers, All of the major players sell direct, so, except for BigFoot, you won't find any dealers. However most manufacturers have a referral system where you can look at current owners rigs.

To start looking, search through the links on our home page and also look at <fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>

A couple of tips:
1. Right now is the peak selling season, prices will start to drop in October and bottom out in February. There will be as much as a 50% shift in prices high to low season
2. The northeast is a bit sparse for FGRV's, they will be harder to find up that way than, say on the West Coast or FL.
3. Good ones at a decent price usually sell within a day or three after being advertised. If it's still there in a week, something is wrong with it.
4. As per #1, you may have to travel, even here in CA a 500 mile trip is very common.
5. Beware of Scammers, they abound in the FGRV world, especially on Craigslist. If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is...
6. Never hesitate to post any questions you may have, there are lots of great peeps here that will help out

BTW: Do you live any where near Scituate? My family (Edward Fullers son) built a place there in about 1628!

Good Luck

Old 07-29-2015, 12:54 PM   #17

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm thinking a Scamp 5th wheel (19 feet) is what you need; so much like towing a horse trailer, hubby says he has to check the mirrors to make sure it is still back there. Queen size bed for YOU and dinette full bed for the furry ones. Shower/toilet and a closet plus lots of stow space. Give it a look.

She is towing with a SUV thus a bumper pull is required.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:01 AM   #18

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchandka View Post
I want to second this, IF you think that the back seat of a crew cab truck could be big enough for your furry crew. I tow my 19D Scamp with a Tacoma, and there are also the Frontier and Colorado/Canyon as small truck options. (Yes, they are not small anymore, but smaller than the rest.)
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:18 AM   #19

Me thinks that the OP expressed an interest in what we call bumper-pull FGRV's as she already has a dedicated tow vehicle that can pull an elephant off it's feet.
Buying a truck and a trailer wasn't in the request. Let's ferget the 5th wheel suggestions.