Towing my Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have a ScanGauge 2 in my RAV4. Had to go to the RAV4 forum to find the settings for transmission temperature, but it has been handy. I do wonder what temperature the RAV4's transmission overheat light is set for - I hit 266°F hauling the Escape up to the top of Cedar Breaks National Monument (not a good idea) and the overheat light never came on...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:21 AM   #22

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne myette View Post
Last week we finally got to bring home our new 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Now we have big decisions to make with the towing vehicle.
We own a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan, 6 cyl.
Dealer says it will pull it.
Does anyone here pull with a minivan? I haven't found anyone yet. We really want to keep this van but we also don't want to wreck it.
Thanks for all your input on all the subjects.
I have learned so much!
Annie and Jack in Michigan
You can download the owner manuel from this site :

https://carmanuals2.com/get/dodge-gr...s-manual-31065
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:23 PM   #23

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hope I'm not taking this thread too far sideways, but this post interested me a lot. I would love to be able to monitor transmission temperature. Does anyone else have experience with a system like Gordon's, or other alternatives? Effectiveness? Cost? If it matters, I tow with a 2011 Honda Pilot.
My rear drive truck has a single rail shifter which allows me to check the transmission temperature by simply touching the lever just below the shift knob.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 05:39 PM   #24

Name: James
Trailer: Quicksilver 10.0 tent camper
Alabama
Towing my Scamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hope I'm not taking this thread too far sideways, but this post interested me a lot. I would love to be able to monitor transmission temperature. Does anyone else have experience with a system like Gordon's, or other alternatives? Effectiveness? Cost? If it matters, I tow with a 2011 Honda Pilot.

Jon I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey. I once wanted some type of temperature gauge for my transmission but I found there were no easy options for my van. The only option was placing a sensor in the transmission line or in the transmission drain plug. Things change but for my 2009 there is no plug and play options.

Quick edit: Just did a quick search and found this that might work for Honda Products.

http://ultra-gauge.com/blue.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kybrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kybrowns View Post
Jon I have a 2009 Honda Odyssey. I once wanted some type of temperature gauge for my transmission but I found there were no easy options for my van. The only option was placing a sensor in the transmission line or in the transmission drain plug. Things change but for my 2009 there is no plug and play options.

Quick edit: Just did a quick search and found this that might work for Honda Products.

UltraGauge OBDII Scan tool & Information Center

When you purchase a ScanGauge or UltraGauge, they come with a list of "codes" you enter for monitoring different sensors for each vehicle or engine. If the code for the sensor you want isn't listed (such as the one for transmission temperature for my RAV4 V6) you can sometimes find them with an internet search. While some older transmissions do not have a temperature sensor, most new ones do; finding the parameters you need to set in the gauge needed to access it can be difficult.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 07:13 AM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Towing my Scamp

Sounds like my best bet, then, is to take the question to the Pilot owner's forum. As I understand it, there are two options: a traditional stand-alone gauge with its own sensor, or a device that plugs into the OBD port. I'm not really interested in the former (should I be?), so I'll ask about the latter.

Thanks for the responses.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #27

Alabama
The Pilot forum would be your best bet. Let us know what you find out.

Old 12-11-2015, 11:50 AM   #28

Alabama
Just found this gauge calculator for ultra blue.

http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragaug...augelookup.php

Old 12-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #29

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne myette View Post
Last week we finally got to bring home our new 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Now we have big decisions to make with the towing vehicle.
We own a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan, 6 cyl.
Dealer says it will pull it.
Does anyone here pull with a minivan? I haven't found anyone yet. We really want to keep this van but we also don't want to wreck it.
Thanks for all your input on all the subjects.
I have learned so much!
Annie and Jack in Michigan
I have a 2012 Dodge Journey with the Pentastar V6 engine cylinder 3.6 L 283 hp, along with a 6-speed automatic transmission, as your caravan, with which I tow a 15B17G Bigfoot, which weighs 3000 pounds loaded with which this summer, we left of Montreal and visited the of Prince Edward Island, then go around the Gaspesia on our return, with slopes that implies ...

The Dodge dealership told me no problem and that was the case.
With the trailer when I get the desired speed, after acceleration, I position the transmission in 5th, speed between 95 and 100 km / hr (60/65 mph / hr).

If I'm in a slope, I watch the speedometer and when it decreases by 10-15 km / hr, I pass in the fourth transmission resumes and the desired speed.

I met another camper with a Jeep, same engine and transmission as mine, only difference, there is a button to activate when tow his trailer, which prevents the engine to revolutionize over 3000 rpm, upgrade the transmission or automatically downgrade not endomager the engine or transmission.

This method, I applied manually to get the same security and I have no problem towing.

Bons voyages,
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp