Towing my Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 11:36 AM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Towing my Scamp

Last week we finally got to bring home our new 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Now we have big decisions to make with the towing vehicle.
We own a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan, 6 cyl.
Dealer says it will pull it.
Does anyone here pull with a minivan? I haven't found anyone yet. We really want to keep this van but we also don't want to wreck it.
Thanks for all your input on all the subjects.
I have learned so much!
Annie and Jack in Michigan
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Looks like the towing capacity for that vehicle is 3600 lbs., plenty for that trailer, but you might want to talk to the dealers service peeps about what's included in their "Towing Package" It may include recommended items like a transmission cooler and a larger radiator etc.

Here's a link to a Dodge site, but check for specs for your vehicle in the owners manual that came with it. If you don't have one, see your dealer.
Dodge Vehicle Towing Capacity Chart | Towing Guide & Capacity | Dodge

"But the dealer said" was often little more than an oft heard sales point

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:53 PM   #3

Name: James
Trailer: Quicksilver 10.0 tent camper
Alabama
Towing my Scamp

Please keep us update to how your van pulls the camper. I have a mini van also and I'm curious about its performance pulling a 16 foot scamp.

How did you get it home originally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kybrowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by anne myette View Post
Does anyone here pull with a minivan? I haven't found anyone yet...
Really? then you need to look harder. I found plenty of people towing Scamps with minivans when I did some internet and forum searches. Most were good.

I have a different minivan so I will not reply to your question further.

Or maybe I will just mention that I am towing a Scamp 16 with a 2015 Toyota Sienna, rated at 3500 and 350 tongue weight. It was a bit of a pain to set up for towing and the hitch receiver is quite low, but over all it does just fine.

It would not hurt to add some sway control hardware but IMHO one can get by without it (in this specific case) just by exercising some extra care.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:23 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We tow with a minivan, a 2014 Honda Odyssey rated at 3500/350 lbs. The Odyssey's V6 is powerful and efficient. It's reliability for us is yet to be determined, particularly since we only have one vehicle and keep it for 10 years.

There are numerous references to the Dodge Caravan suggesting it makes a good tow vehicle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 07:33 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Three years ago we towed an EggCamper (17ft) with a 2010 Chrysler minivan, same as a Dodge. It did a good job towing. We got rid of the van for reasons unrelated to towing ability. Also towed the EggCamper with a Buick Enclave which did a much better towing job than the Chrysler. Now we have an Escape 19 which we tow with a Chevy Silverado 1500.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: Scamp 16' Deluxe side bath
Minnesota
towing

I tow with the exact same van (2012 Dodge Grand Caravan). My previous van was a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Both vehicles were excellent at towing my 16' Scamp Deluxe. Gas mileage on the 2012 van usually gets 18 mpg (no wind) which was a couple mpg better than the 2005. Always tow in 5th gear and never set the van in the econ mode while towing.

Remember to have at least 10% weight on the tongue (usually 250lbs or so) and keep your speeds not to exceed 60 for best and safest results.

Swenny
swenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:00 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by swenny View Post
I tow with the exact same van (2012 Dodge Grand Caravan). My previous van was a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Both vehicles were excellent at towing my 16' Scamp Deluxe. Gas mileage on the 2012 van usually gets 18 mpg (no wind) which was a couple mpg better than the 2005. Always tow in 5th gear and never set the van in the econ mode while towing.

Remember to have at least 10% weight on the tongue (usually 250lbs or so) and keep your speeds not to exceed 60 for best and safest results.

Swenny
For Others: Always check with the owners manual about towing recommendations. Several makes specifically state, to reduce constant up and down shifting, to NOT tow with the overdrive gear(s) engaged. (with 6 to 9 speed transmissons out there I no longer know if 5th is overdrive or not...)

FWIW: with a 2nd generation Honda CRV we got better MPG's with the overdrive locked out when towing either of the 13' Eggs we had. Ditto with previous 4 cylinder Toyota mini-motorhomes.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I made a trip to Alaska this June & July with friends that towed a Scamp 16 with a 2011 Toyota Sienna van. The only problem they had was on steep gravel driveways in a couple of campgrounds - wheel spin with the front wheel drive.

I'd be sure the Caravan has the tow package (if it isn't part of all of them). I drove 3 different Chrysler minivans with minimal towing (utility trailers on short hops only) and had transmission problems with all of them.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 04:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I have towed with minivans for 11 years with no issues. You should not have a problem.

Tom Trostel's Trailer :: 1980 Bigfoot 15B17G
Old 12-08-2015, 10:07 PM   #11

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
We tow with a 6 cylinder Ford Escape, and it seems quite able, having a tow rating of over 3500 pounds. We did install a transmission cooler too. Get that transmission cooler installed, very important.
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:42 AM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Six Cylinder Minivan? No problem.
As long as you know how to downshift on the up hill pulls, or long downhill runs, to use engine braking instead of overheating the trailer brakes.
We pulled our 16 ft deluxe with 3 different Odyssey's and now with our second Highlander.
Because the rear end of the Van is low, and your trailer hitch is higher, you will need a high rise ball mount.
And, to avoid too much sag in the rear suspension of the van, try to not carry heavy stuff in the rear of the van.
If possible, install a pair of booster shocks. and add air to the rear tires to carry the added load.
Happy Camping!
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #13

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2013 16 ft. Scamp
Michigan
Towing

Thanks Everyone for your input.
We went to 4 RV places and the Chrysler dealership and read online info before we bought the camper. A couple of them said that is a low vehicle to tow with but we got the riser hitch. I am not a computer person so I didn't think to ask ordinary people until now. We are learning all the time. I was relieved to see there are minivan TVs.
It doesn't have a tow package but I appreciate the advise about the transmission cooler. The dealer told us this model van has a trans cooler tied in with the air conditioning system on it but it may not be enough. I think it is very importantnto have a good one installed especially after reading one of the posts about tranny problems.
We brought the Scamp home with our friend's pick-up. As soon as we get all this equipment installed I am positive my two vehicles shall be as one on the road!!!! Can't wait!
anne myette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:56 PM   #14

North Carolina
Quote:
... The dealer told us this model van has a trans cooler tied in with the air conditioning system on it but it may not be enough. I think it is very important to have a good one installed especially after reading one of the posts about tranny problems...
Don't stop your research. Many dealers are clueless. If the manual says it can tow X lbs and does not mention supplemental equipment (or has the dreaded asterisk: "* When properly equipped," which tell you nothing!).. then it should be good go without an aux cooler. If it does have the legalize, "when properly equipped" then you have to find out what that means. It could mean many things other than a tranny cooler and some makes and models specially say you should not add a tranny cooler. So do your homework before assuming that adding a cooler is the best thing to do.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:15 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Thanks Everyone for your input.
We went to 4 RV places and the Chrysler dealership and read online info before we bought the camper. A couple of them said that is a low vehicle to tow with but we got the riser hitch. I am not a computer person so I didn't think to ask ordinary people until now. We are learning all the time. I was relieved to see there are minivan TVs.
It doesn't have a tow package but I appreciate the advise about the transmission cooler. The dealer told us this model van has a trans cooler tied in with the air conditioning system on it but it may not be enough. I think it is very importantnto have a good one installed especially after reading one of the posts about tranny problems.
We brought the Scamp home with our friend's pick-up. As soon as we get all this equipment installed I am positive my two vehicles shall be as one on the road!!!! Can't wait!
No need for an extra Tranny Cooler as long as you are not in a hot climate, and pay attention to downshifting on long uphill pulls. If you keep it in DRIVE and are pulling hard, the torque converter slips more and makes heat. Dropping in to a lower gear is easier on the engine and Transmission. Just watch the engine temp gauge.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Unless you are driving my Toyota RAV4.
The manual says not to tow in overdrive / use 4 and it says not to tow hard uphill for very long in a lower gear ( 3 or 2 ).
I do have a tranny cooler and BC isn't known as a hot climate, but I once dropped down into 3 on a long climb and transmission warning light came on.

What I am saying is, read the manual for your specific vehicle.
Old 12-10-2015, 08:27 AM   #17

North Carolina
Unless a tranny cooler was required or recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, I would first do my darnest to install a transmission fluid temp gauge.

An OEM one would be best, but I just use a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and a APP on my smartphone to monitor tranny temp and other data.For the Toyota you have to custom program the equation that is used to get the temp, and I cannot promise it is accurate. But I have monitored it enough to know the number is ballpark at least, and it does track the expected temps very close as they go up and down.

What I found was that towing my pop-up on level highways , the tranny temp sometimes stayed cooler in overdrive. But with the Scamp 16, no matter the road, the temp was higher in overdrive. And of course I have plenty of warning if it starts to creep up higher than I like. If you need a tranny cooler then get one, but the gauge is very helpful in any case.

(And by the way, there was very little difference in fuel economy while towing regardless of gearing, but one would always want to be in overdrive for daily driving with my vehicle)
Old 12-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #18

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Annie and Jack,
Glad you got your new Scamp home. It's great to find a really nice trailer.

I can't help you much with your consideration for the tow vehicle, just hoping you get that sorted out quickly so you can start fully enjoying it.

Best of Luck, perhaps we'll meet on the road some time.

Lyle
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 AM   #19

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Monitoring Automatic Transmission Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Unless a tranny cooler was required or recommended by the vehicle manufacturer, I would first do my darnest to install a transmission fluid temp gauge.

An OEM one would be best, but I just use a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and a APP on my smartphone to monitor tranny temp and other data.For the Toyota you have to custom program the equation that is used to get the temp, and I cannot promise it is accurate. But I have monitored it enough to know the number is ballpark at least, and it does track the expected temps very close as they go up and down...
Hope I'm not taking this thread too far sideways, but this post interested me a lot. I would love to be able to monitor transmission temperature. Does anyone else have experience with a system like Gordon's, or other alternatives? Effectiveness? Cost? If it matters, I tow with a 2011 Honda Pilot.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:24 AM   #20

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Hope I'm not taking this thread too far sideways, but this post interested me a lot. I would love to be able to monitor transmission temperature. Does anyone else have experience with a system like Gordon's, or other alternatives? Effectiveness? Cost? If it matters, I tow with a 2011 Honda Pilot.
I share your hope since off topic posts are a pet peeve of mine. Moderators, please me move if needed.

Jon, Start here:
Torque OBD2 Wiki

Toyota is so secretive that they cannot get the official sensor info but I found the setup info online. I think in this forum:
Forums — Torque
I don't know about Honda.

The APP is <$5 for the pro version and there is a free version you can use to see if it works with your adapter.

I got a Chinese clone adapter on ebay and do not recall the price but it might have been around $10. HOWEVER note that problems with cheap adapters is the primary problem people have with this APP. From the APP description:
There are currently a lot of clone adapters circulating that are broken/not working on the CANBUS protocol - if your vehicle isn't working, check the adapter if it's a clone(it may work on older vehicles though)

I think the "official" adapters start around $75 and quickly go up from there.

It works very well for me. There was one time (and one time only) when the dash on my Highlander lit up like a Christmas tree... I started to try and find the nearest dealer as I was 500 miles from home. But when I took the adapter out and restarted the car, all was well and I never had that happen again. It is supposed to only read data in the monitoring mode, but it does have the capability to clear codes also (subject to the regular limitations with hidden codes, etc.) so who knows. YMMV!!!

Tags
scamp