Towing new (to me) Casita - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #1

Name: Lonnie
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Towing new (to me) Casita

I have a 2004 GMC Safari with tow package. I have been towing a Trillium but will be picking up a 17' Casita Spirit this summer. I have never towed anything that heavy so am wondering is I need additional items. I have heard of brake controllers, sway bars and load levelers but don't know if I need them. Any suggestions or information most appreciated. I will be getting the manual soon so that may help.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #2

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I would use a brake controller if you have brakes on the trailer and transmission cooler if you have a automatic.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
I had a 2003 S-10 which probably had the same engine, transmission, and similar tow rating, as your Safari, (4.3 L engine, four speed automatic transmission, and 5600 lbs.). I bought an inexpensive transmission cooler at a local auto parts store and had it installed by Precision Tune - it cost me less than half what Pep Boys wanted to install their own cooler. I considered it good insurance. And yes, you'll need a brake controller for the 17' Casita. I didn't need the weight distributing hitch with a trailer weighing less than 3000 lbs and your Safari is probably the same - unless you have all-wheel-drive, in which case ignore my advice because I don't know about them. My trailer manufacturer didn't recommend the anti-sway bar, but I think it's usually recommended with the 17' Casita.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:24 PM   #4

Name: Lonnie
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I had a 2003 S-10 which probably had the same engine, transmission, and similar tow rating, as your Safari, (4.3 L engine, four speed automatic transmission, and 5600 lbs.). I bought an inexpensive transmission cooler at a local auto parts store and had it installed by Precision Tune - it cost me less than half what Pep Boys wanted to install their own cooler. I considered it good insurance. And yes, you'll need a brake controller for the 17' Casita. I didn't need the weight distributing hitch with a trailer weighing less than 3000 lbs and your Safari is probably the same - unless you have all-wheel-drive, in which case ignore my advice because I don't know about them. My trailer manufacturer didn't recommend the anti-sway bar, but I think it's usually recommended with the 17' Casita.
Thanks. I have 2 wheel drive on an SLT with tow package. I think it came with the transmission cooler but I will check. I was concerned that the tongue weight of the Casita will be more than I had with the Trillium. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Check the Owner's Manual, folks.

We talk about things until the cows come home and it won't amount to a hill of beans.

The first place to look when thinking about doing anything with your vehicle is the Owner's Manual.

There you will find what you need to do what you want.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #6

Name: Glen
Trailer: 2001 13 ft Casita Patriot Deluxe modified 1969 25' Airstream Trade Wind
California
You will need a brake controller, and a weight distributing hitch in addition to anything the owners manual recommends.

Call Casita about what WDH to use.

The rear springs on your rig could use air spring helpers also.

Tags
casita