towing options w/ ford ranger - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-08-2008, 03:46 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I like my Scamp, but I was minimalistic in my camping style. I would have bought a Casita or whatever else I found. IMHO, it would be a tough choice with two side-by-each for same price. Lived in mine for six years after three years in a Jayco 16'. Truck was only rated for 2,000 lbs and 16' was just too much strain on small manual trans/clutch.

I have LP range, fantastical fan (in second roof vent), gravel shield, spare tire, battery, ice box, gaucho, porta-potty, brakes and a vent-free LP heater. I don't have fridge, furnace, hot water, elec water pump, fixed toilet, converter, a/c, awning (I use a tarp). I removed the table/hardware and built a single bunk across the back at window level for ventilation, with a pull-out table underneath.

PS Sandra, big difference between Ranger small and large V6; large (4.0L) comes with different auto trans and bigger rear differential. Like I say, # cylinders is not enough, only a starting place. The truck I mention above was 6 cyl but only rated for 2,000 lbs.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:26 PM   #16

Name: Billy
Trailer: Perris Pacer 13 ft 1985 / Mazda B3000 Dual Sport 2002
California
Quote:
(clip)...

PS Sandra, big difference between Ranger small and large V6; large (4.0L) comes with different auto trans and bigger rear differential. Like I say, # cylinders is not enough, only a starting place. The truck I mention above was 6 cyl but only rated for 2,000 lbs.
Hi Pete and all,

I confess to ignorance about the whole rear differential specifications thing. I am considering getting a Ranger V6 3.0 5-Speed, 4x2 and there are two choices for axle ratio: 3.73 and 4.10. I've read that 4.10 is better for towing but I don't understand the how or why.

thx,
Billy

Old 04-16-2008, 06:54 PM   #17

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: In my humble understanding a rear end ratio of say 2.94 = decent fuel milage, but no guts!!! a 4.10= stump pulling power, but lousy fuel mileage!!! Anything in between is a compromise. 2 cents worth
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 04-16-2008, 10:07 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
4.10 is a very low gear, but it works in concert with the gearing in the transmission AND the tire size, so don't overlook that. Basically, it's how many times the driveshaft turns to turn the rear wheels once. Simplistically put, more times is more tow power is more fuel...

My 6.0L V6 has 3.73 rear ratio (don't believe 4.10 was option in '98).

Here's what I would do -- Download Owner's Manual from Ford for the year you are looking at. About half-way through the book is the table of trucks and equipage with their respective tow ratings. If the higher gear (lower number) is adequate, then go with that and save fuel when you aren't towing.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:30 AM   #19

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
hello everyone,
i have a 2.3 L 4 cylinder (not much i know) ford ranger regular cab short bed with a maximum trailer limit of 2240 lbs. searched for posted info, but need help with specifics concerning my ford ranger. my options are limited ( probably to just a pop-up) but am looking a casita patriot standard, 13' scamp, maybe a teardrop, and the little joe or ponderosa by weis craft. Will any of these rigs "safely" work?
Justin, you just don't provide enough info. I've got a Ranger and the owners manual has pages of specs for towing and even more pages telling you how to determine what you can tow. I know the specs change from year to year. Interesting to me was that they even go so far as to state a maximum frontal area of the trailer in my manual.

My answer is to check your manual, if you don't have one and can't find one to download, you will be able to get one off of ebay in a few days. Been there, done that.

It is well known that the Rangers are light on the brakes. Mine can't keep a RABS valve intact any longer than one hard braking event. @ $175 a peice plus a few hours labour each time you hit the brakes, one stops worring about having the Rear ABS work.

Mine did not like the hills in NB towing a 13' Boler. the 4.0 V6 has lots of guts but the tranny was not happy. I decided the day I nearly T-boned a police cruiser in Quebec (unexpectedly cut across my path with the lights & siren going) that the new axle I was contemplating would definately have brakes.