towing options w/ ford ranger - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-04-2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5
hello everyone,
i have a 2.3 L 4 cylinder (not much i know) ford ranger regular cab short bed with a maximum trailer limit of 2240 lbs. searched for posted info, but need help with specifics concerning my ford ranger. my options are limited ( probably to just a pop-up) but am looking a casita patriot standard, 13' scamp, maybe a teardrop, and the little joe or ponderosa by weis craft. Will any of these rigs "safely" work?
__________________

__________________
Justin, M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Booker B.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Posts: 983
You would be surprised at how heavy some popups are, a friend purchased one to tow behind his GMC tracker, turned out it was over 2000lbs unloaded. With that truck you could pull any of the 13' scamps/casitas/bolers with no problem.
__________________

__________________
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
At 2,400 lbs I agree with Booker with this caveat -- Not with ALL the options, like a/c, big reefer, awning, etc. One of the Scampers has a 13' that weighs about 2,200 lbs loaded for the road. When I was FullTiming, my 91S13 weighed about 1,700 lbs. Yer gonna have to watch yer weight.

I find it amusing that on RV.NET when someone with less than 3,000 lbs capacity comes on they say you can't tow a trailer, just a pop-up. Pop-ups can get extremely heavy. Small package folded, but dense, and many of the frames can't do WDH...
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5
Quote:
At 2,400 lbs I agree with Booker with this caveat -- Not with ALL the options, like a/c, big reefer, awning, etc. One of the Scampers has a 13' that weighs about 2,200 lbs loaded for the road. When I was FullTiming, my 91S13 weighed about 1,700 lbs. Yer gonna have to watch yer weight.

I find it amusing that on RV.NET when someone with less than 3,000 lbs capacity comes on they say you can't tow a trailer, just a pop-up. Pop-ups can get extremely heavy. Small package folded, but dense, and many of the frames can't do WDH...

Thanks guys, I honestly think the pop up rig would be my last resort, but if i were to go that route i was looking at the quicksilvers by livin lite
__________________
Justin, M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:29 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Just discussing them the other day. Watch the set-up video and picture setting up in a hard rain with wind blowing...

http://www.livinlite.com/video.php

That said, if one goes out to rustic sites and stays for a while, not moving every day or so, there's nothing like a pop-up for feeling close to the outdoors, with the sides zipped down and all. With a trailer, you are inside something parked in the woods, with a pop-up you are in the woods.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Sandra Lair's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 379
We tow our 13' Scamp with a Ford Ranger. It has a transmission cooler. We can hardly tell the Scamp is behind us. It tows well and stops easily. I wouldn't try to tow a 17' with it but we are comfortable with how it handles our Scamp.
Sandra
__________________
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5
Quote:
We tow our 13' Scamp with a Ford Ranger. It has a transmission cooler. We can hardly tell the Scamp is behind us. It tows well and stops easily. I wouldn't try to tow a 17' with it but we are comfortable with how it handles our Scamp.
Sandra

Really? Is your ford ranger a 2.3 L 4 cylinder or 3.0 L v6, I am looking at the patriot or 13' scamp (specifically the ones with the bathroom and shower) and am hoping that my ford ranger can tow it. I would probably have to get a transmission cooler. Thank you
__________________
Justin, M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 02:09 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If you have an auto-trans, I recommend an auxiliary cooler. If you have a manual trans you don't need one because manual trans are nowhere near as susceptible to heat damage as auto trans; just a box of gears in oil like axle differential.

My Ranger (4.0L V6) has bigger autotrans, aux coolers for trans and power steering, bigger differentials and separate relay for trailer lights.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Bill F.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 92 Bigfoot 13.5 ft / 05 Freestar
Posts: 177
Quote:
hello everyone,
i have a 2.3 L 4 cylinder (not much i know) ford ranger regular cab short bed with a maximum trailer limit of 2240 lbs. searched for posted info, but need help with specifics concerning my ford ranger. my options are limited ( probably to just a pop-up) but am looking a casita patriot standard, 13' scamp, maybe a teardrop, and the little joe or ponderosa by weis craft. Will any of these rigs "safely" work?
I have towed several different 13' trailers(currently have a 92 Bigfoot) with my 98 Mazda 2.5L four(119 hp) automatic. Two years ago when it had over 180 km on it we pulled the Bigfoot through 3000' passes in Vermont without incident. If you have an automatic a trans cooler is a must and I wouldn't go without electric brakes.
Bill
__________________
Bill F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If it wasn't already understood, YES brakes. Six braked wheels better than four, regardless of tow vehicle, plus one has the option to apply trailer brakes with controller if trailer is having problems.

BTW, I have read in numerous places that a plate & fin cooler, such as this one,

Plate & Fin

is more effective than a tube & fin cooler,

Tube & Fin

The above are just types, not recommendations. Google is your friend.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:08 AM   #11
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5
Electric trailer brakes and trans cooler ( plus a reciever hitch) would definetely be needed, but I believe my main question is if the ranger would be capable...meaning is this truck big enough with respect to the engine size and other variables for a 1400 lbs or 1700 lbs trailer ( dry weight but realistically more, but no more than trailer axle limit of 2200 lbs) *reminder* ranger owner manual states max trailer weight is 2240 lbs. ,
__________________
Justin, M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Pete Dumbleton's Avatar
 
Trailer: Scamp
Posts: 3,072
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
If your OM says 2240 lbs towing capacity for your truck with its engine, tranny, body and differential ratio, then 1,700 lbs is a good match. It's not just pulling, it's also stopping and steering.
__________________
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:40 PM   #13
Junior Member
 
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Posts: 5
Quote:
If your OM says 2240 lbs towing capacity for your truck with its engine, tranny, body and differential ratio, then 1,700 lbs is a good match. It's not just pulling, it's also stopping and steering.
I agree with you Pete, 1700 lbs seems a good match. That is what I had in mind, but wanted a second opinion considering I have not done any towing with the ranger and do not know what to expect specifically with a small 4 cylinder truck. Im wondering now if the bath version for the 13' scamp would be the way to go or would it be better to stick to standard 13' scamp or standard casitas patriot.
I was also interested in those little rv's by weis craft, but i am curious to its quality and owner review and such. I did some research on them on these forums but would like to know more.
Pete, how do you like your scamp and what options do you have on it?
__________________
Justin, M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:45 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Sandra Lair's Avatar
 
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
Posts: 379
Quote:
Really? Is your ford ranger a 2.3 L 4 cylinder or 3.0 L v6, I am looking at the patriot or 13' scamp (specifically the ones with the bathroom and shower) and am hoping that my ford ranger can tow it. I would probably have to get a transmission cooler. Thank you
I just checked & our Ranger is the 6 cylinder.
Sandra
__________________

__________________
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Towing with a Ford Ranger 4X4 4.0L Tom H. Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 4 06-10-2009 07:03 AM
Selling our Egg Hauler, Ford Ranger Adrian W Classified Archives 0 03-20-2009 11:26 PM
Ford Ranger mileage Bonnie Witt General Chat 6 01-15-2007 10:37 AM
96 Ford Ranger for sale Shelley Classified Archives 0 01-09-2006 11:29 AM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:43 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.