towing problem - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-23-2015, 06:54 PM   #15
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I believe that the Lil'Bigfoot Elpea is looking at has brakes, but they don't have a controller in the van they will be pulling with and, I believe that it is in California where brakes are required on RV's at or over 1500 lbs.
Not sure if the original poster Joe does on his Boler though.

Other things for him to look at is - tires - are the trailer tires? are they the same make on both sides. Wheel bearings? Have they been inspected repacked lately? Have the wheels on the trailer been balanced?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:14 PM   #16
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Hi I took it for a long camping trip over the weekend and found that the major issue was slop in the 4" drop hitch. I could pull/push on the hitch and move it a good 1-1 1/2". I swapped it for a solid 2" drop and the issue lessened considerably. It still rides high so I will try dropping it another 2 inches for level and see where that leads.

here's a side view. rides better but still too high after loading the truck bed down. The pic looks decieving, there is a much more noticeable slant in reality.
Attached Thumbnails

Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:49 PM   #17
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
Good Grief... 1 to 1.5 INCHES of play? I hope you mean mm.

In the former case you need a new hitch or drawbar, in the latter a "U" shape anti-rattle clamp is what I use with a 4" drop and play is ZERO.

And I have learned that having your trailer even 2" high can induce sway above 55 mph as it off-loads tongue weight.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:58 PM   #18
Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Posts: 180 I meant inches. Turns out it was a sloppy after-market Princess Auto buy..from Powerfist from China.
The singkle piece Resse is much tighter
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #19
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
I used one of those cushioned hitches, 41/2" rise, along with anti rattle device, from E trailer. Works out for me, not a sound. Carl
Attached Thumbnails
AMSC4_01_0015_1000 hitch.jpg  
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:37 PM   #20
Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
I experienced bad push-pull behavior with my Scamp bringing it home the first time, with no prior experience towing. It improved dramatically when I inflated the tires to 45 psi (from 32 psi), as recommended by Scamp. Some roadways are simply awful, especially some of the new concrete ones, with a continuous wave cast in.

Paul O. is online now   Reply With Quote