Towing problems - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #1

Name: pamela
Trailer: Toyota Sunrader 1986
California
Towing problems

Can I pull a 1986 toyota Sunrader with a car dolly.I'm in a jam and it seems to be only option I have at this point.
PamelaSunrader86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:53 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Looks like nobody wants to answer this ! How far do you have to move it? Did you try a towing company or U-Ship. When we towed trucks with a wrecker, front wheels up, rears on the ground, we always removed the driveshaft.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
The owners manual should have images of correct towing. It could be that if you put the rear wheels on the dolly and let the front roll on the ground, that would be ok. But don't take my word for it! You would need to secure the steering wheel, though.

The issue Bob is getting at is that if you tow with the rear wheels on the ground, the driveshaft will turn, which turns part of the transmission. But I think there are issues with transmission fluid only getting into certain parts that need lubrication, but not all of them, when you just have the rear wheels spinning but aren't actually driving. Disconnecting the driveshaft (which is not a big deal) would solve this, but gears in the rear differential would still be spinning.

It think it matters whether it's an automatic or manual transmission, also.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
I think this is really more of a Toyota issue than a Sunraider question. You could also rent a trailer to put the Sunraider on.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:53 AM   #5

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Remove the driveshaft and have at it!

You can "tow" anything as pulling it will not be an issue as long as he coupler is rated for the weight. Stopping both vehicles is a whole nother issue.

Make sure the vehicle to which to the tow dolly is hitched has adequate BRAKING capability to STOP both vehicles safely as I doubt your tow dolly has brakes.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #6

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I think this is really more of a Toyota issue than a Sunraider question. You could also rent a trailer to put the Sunraider on.
Jack that might be difficult as a Sunrader depending upon the year model can have a wheelbase exceeding the length of for rent Uhaul & Penske vehicle trailers. You would most likely have to find another source to rent a vehicle trailer of sufficient capacity and length to haul the Sunrader.

IF Uhaul or Penske knew what you were trying to load a Sunrader on their trailer they would NOT rent the trailer to you as each have specific guidelines concerning what you can load on their trailers and what you can use as a tow vehicle. They probably would not rent you a tow dolly either in this instance. Lie and you are assuming a LOT of liability in the event of an accident as the insurance coverage for the tow vehicle extends to the trailer and your insurance might not pay in the event of an accident.

In this situation it's a good bet that a Sunrader is outside the loading guidelines set forth by Uhaul or Penske when renting their trailer. That means that your liability insurance might walk away and not pay in the event of an accident due to rental fraud and negligence.
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
Jack that will be difficult as a Sunrader has a wheelbase exceeding the length of for rent vehicle Uhaul trailers and Penske trailers. You would most likely have to find another source to rent a vehicle trailer of sufficient capacity and length to haul the Sunrader.

IF Uhaul or Penske knew what you were trying to load a Sunrader on their trailer they would NOT rent the trailer to you as each have specific guidelines concerning what you can load on their trailers and what you can use as a tow vehicle. Lie and you are assuming a LOT of liability in the event of an accident as the insurance coverage for the tow vehicle extends to the trailer and your insurance might not pay in the event of an accident.

In this situation it's a good bet that a Sunrader is outside the loading guidelines set forth by Uhaul or Penske when renting their trailer. That means that your liability insurance might not pay in the event of an accident.
I should have been more specific. A light weight trailer designed for passenger cars etc would not be adequate. A place that rents construction equipment most likely would have a trailer with a considerably larger load capacity. I would also want a stout tow vehicle to pull this with.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
If it's an automatic transmission all you need to do is drop the drive shaft.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote