Towing Scamp 5th Wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-23-2015, 10:17 PM   #15

Name: Chigger
Trailer: Currently Shopping
USA
Thanks for this discussion!

I've got an almost new 2013 (10,000 mile) Nissan Frontier 4dr crew cab 2 wheel drive with 4.0 V6 and auto tranny and short bed and want to tug a Scamp 5er or other small 5th wheeler if possible.,,,doesn't have to be fiberglass, just small and lite.

I have a few questions about the configuration considering the short bed and appropriate hitch selection. I expect already I'll need to install an external tranny cooler, and I'm open to suggestions in that regard.

First, I'll tell you a little about me and my camper needs....I'm 62, fully retired and single. I will be traveling/camping alone, so the floor plan needs to be maximized for living area and prefer a full shower-not a cramped shower/toilet combo...I'll be mostly camping at locations with full hookups for weeks at a time thru good and bad weather.

I have not yet contacted Scamp to inquire if they will alter floor plans to suit my needs, but plan too if you here tell me my short bed rig will accommodate the Scamp hitch and retain the ability to execute fairly sharp turns.

I am a fully qualified welder and have every welding process and all metal fab equipment available.....I'm also a very experienced auto mechanic capable of making repairs and modifications to all systems including electrical.....BUT I'd like to be able to have my rig tow ready before I travel 1500 miles to factory to accept delivery of camper.

My tailgate height measures 49" with 5' long bed.

If anyone here has experience with my tow rig and the Scamp 5er combo, or perhaps another brand of small/light 5er, please advise...especially if you know of a manufacturer willing to customize their floor plans to suit my desires....I don't care about decor, just layout and appliances.

THANKS!

Old 08-24-2015, 07:22 AM   #16

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
I tow with a 2013 Tacoma, pretty close to your Frontier. It should work well for you. The Tacoma has a SMC (sheet molding compound) bed. I mounted the hitch myself, you should find it easy to do yourself. I posted details of my installation a couple of years ago here. You should be able to find it.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:50 AM   #17

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurescamptramp View Post
Thanks for this discussion!

I've got an almost new 2013 (10,000 mile) Nissan Frontier 4dr crew cab 2 wheel drive with 4.0 V6 and auto tranny and short bed and want to tug a Scamp 5er or other small 5th wheeler if possible.,,,doesn't have to be fiberglass, just small and lite.

I have a few questions about the configuration considering the short bed and appropriate hitch selection. I expect already I'll need to install an external tranny cooler, and I'm open to suggestions in that regard.

First, I'll tell you a little about me and my camper needs....I'm 62, fully retired and single. I will be traveling/camping alone, so the floor plan needs to be maximized for living area and prefer a full shower-not a cramped shower/toilet combo...I'll be mostly camping at locations with full hookups for weeks at a time thru good and bad weather.

I have not yet contacted Scamp to inquire if they will alter floor plans to suit my needs, but plan too if you here tell me my short bed rig will accommodate the Scamp hitch and retain the ability to execute fairly sharp turns.

I am a fully qualified welder and have every welding process and all metal fab equipment available.....I'm also a very experienced auto mechanic capable of making repairs and modifications to all systems including electrical.....BUT I'd like to be able to have my rig tow ready before I travel 1500 miles to factory to accept delivery of camper.

My tailgate height measures 49" with 5' long bed.

If anyone here has experience with my tow rig and the Scamp 5er combo, or perhaps another brand of small/light 5er, please advise...especially if you know of a manufacturer willing to customize their floor plans to suit my desires....I don't care about decor, just layout and appliances.

THANKS!

I tow my Scamp with a 2014 Nissan Frontier, CC with five foot box. I located the hitch in the exact center of the bed, which is about two inches behind centerline of axle. My 2003 Toyota Tacoma, I mounted the hitch about 8" behind the axle. Both worked very well but it looks better behind the Nissan!
Old 08-24-2015, 09:13 AM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Towing Scamp 5th Wheel

I can't think of any molded fiberglass trailers, other than the larger Bigfoots, with dry baths. I seriously doubt any manufacturers will accommodate that level of customization. Escape seems to be the most willing to make changes, but those I have seen didn't involve altering appliance and mechanical systems.

If a dry bath is non-negotiable, you may have to look beyond molded fiberglass or buy a Scamp and customize it to your needs. Seems possible to take out part of the front sofa on the 19S and build out a separate shower in the street side corner. I think the side compartment can be ordered as a toilet only.

The deluxe models do have a larger shower space than the standard version, but it's still a wet bath set-up. When you contact Scamp, you might inquire about a referral to look at a 19D to see if that could work for you.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #19

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
The 3 inch raise is a $100 option from Scamp. When everybody asks for it, it will become standard.
And Scamp will introduce 3 inch drop option for $100
Old 08-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #20

Name: Von
Trailer: Scamp 19'
California
Hi Sally
I have a Scamp 19 with the three inch lift, the bed height on my 2006 Toyota Tundra
4 whdr is fifty one & one half inches. I have ample clearance with the 13 inch wheels but have ordered 15 inch wheels that will be installed next week. Presently with the 13s I'm one inch nose high but the 15s will cure that. Where there's a will there's a way.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
And Scamp will introduce 3 inch drop option for $100
I like that logical conclusion!!
Old 08-25-2015, 08:22 PM   #22

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
The Scamp 5er front bath would be ideal for you.
The bath has a high ceiling which makes it feel much roomier.
The shower head can be easily fitted with an extra bracket which eliminates the need to step away from the showerhead for complete washing.

It also provides for a separate sleeping quarters and leaves the rest of the trailer for living quarters.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #23

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The Scamp 5er front bath would be ideal for you.
The bath has a high ceiling which makes it feel much roomier.
The shower head can be easily fitted with an extra bracket which eliminates the need to step away from the showerhead for complete washing.

It also provides for a separate sleeping quarters and leaves the rest of the trailer for living quarters.
Yup, that's the way it's looking.

I chatted with the Scamp folks and they suggest the layout A with 6ft fridge, but they don't customize...nor do the rest.

So ok.....I got a tranny oil cooler ordered off Amazon from Derale or whoever they are and I'll march on with this project.

Looks like the bed will accept hitch/trailer ok, too.

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #24

Minnesota
No doubt that a Scamp Fiverer will will work great with your Frontier. Less than full sized American Trucks were the original design tow vehicle when Scamp conceived their fifth wheel.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:40 PM   #25

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
No doubt that a Scamp Fiverer will will work great with your Frontier. Less than full sized American Trucks were the original design tow vehicle when Scamp conceived their fifth wheel.
Yup...ain't no way I'ma gonna pay 50-70K for a big azzed pickup truck to tow a big azzed trailer past small places I could camp at in a Scamp 5er.....shucks, I can't hardly see over the bed of today's new trucks and sure don't want one.

I have 3 Harley's, but just bought a Honda Ruckus scooter to take camping....Just enuff is just right, yaknow?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:53 PM   #26

Minnesota
Funny thing about those big trucks, my son told me last night that even though he visioned hauling his Harley's in the bed of his 3/4 Dodge, the bed is to high for loading them.

We truely love our Scamp, having owned it since 2003 and the reason that we will ultimately switch to something else is when we get old enough that we can no longer crawl into the bunk.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:16 PM   #27

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
Funny thing about those big trucks, my son told me last night that even though he visioned hauling his Harley's in the bed of his 3/4 Dodge, the bed is to high for loading them.

We truely love our Scamp, having owned it since 2003 and the reason that we will ultimately switch to something else is when we get old enough that we can no longer crawl into the bunk.
Getting old is like getting drunk-just sleep on the floor and be glad if you wake up

That boy can load his Harley if he uses CURVED ramps...Been there, done that and it works just fine....They also make a few different auto loaders he can copy if he can weld.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:02 AM   #28

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurescamptramp View Post
Getting old is like getting drunk-just sleep on the floor and be glad if you wake up

That boy can load his Harley if he uses CURVED ramps...Been there, done that and it works just fine....They also make a few different auto loaders he can copy if he can weld.
Rather than sleep on the floor, we could always use the dinette. That just defeats the main reason we got the fiver in the first place.

Tags
scamp