Towing Scamp 5th Wheel - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #21

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
And Scamp will introduce 3 inch drop option for $100
I like that logical conclusion!!
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The Scamp 5er front bath would be ideal for you.
The bath has a high ceiling which makes it feel much roomier.
The shower head can be easily fitted with an extra bracket which eliminates the need to step away from the showerhead for complete washing.

It also provides for a separate sleeping quarters and leaves the rest of the trailer for living quarters.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:53 PM   #23

Name: Chigger
Trailer: Currently Shopping
USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The Scamp 5er front bath would be ideal for you.
The bath has a high ceiling which makes it feel much roomier.
The shower head can be easily fitted with an extra bracket which eliminates the need to step away from the showerhead for complete washing.

It also provides for a separate sleeping quarters and leaves the rest of the trailer for living quarters.
Yup, that's the way it's looking.

I chatted with the Scamp folks and they suggest the layout A with 6ft fridge, but they don't customize...nor do the rest.

So ok.....I got a tranny oil cooler ordered off Amazon from Derale or whoever they are and I'll march on with this project.

Looks like the bed will accept hitch/trailer ok, too.

Thanks!
futurescamptramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #24

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
No doubt that a Scamp Fiverer will will work great with your Frontier. Less than full sized American Trucks were the original design tow vehicle when Scamp conceived their fifth wheel.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:40 PM   #25

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
No doubt that a Scamp Fiverer will will work great with your Frontier. Less than full sized American Trucks were the original design tow vehicle when Scamp conceived their fifth wheel.
Yup...ain't no way I'ma gonna pay 50-70K for a big azzed pickup truck to tow a big azzed trailer past small places I could camp at in a Scamp 5er.....shucks, I can't hardly see over the bed of today's new trucks and sure don't want one.

I have 3 Harley's, but just bought a Honda Ruckus scooter to take camping....Just enuff is just right, yaknow?
Old 08-25-2015, 09:53 PM   #26

Minnesota
Funny thing about those big trucks, my son told me last night that even though he visioned hauling his Harley's in the bed of his 3/4 Dodge, the bed is to high for loading them.

We truely love our Scamp, having owned it since 2003 and the reason that we will ultimately switch to something else is when we get old enough that we can no longer crawl into the bunk.
Old 08-25-2015, 10:16 PM   #27

USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
Funny thing about those big trucks, my son told me last night that even though he visioned hauling his Harley's in the bed of his 3/4 Dodge, the bed is to high for loading them.

We truely love our Scamp, having owned it since 2003 and the reason that we will ultimately switch to something else is when we get old enough that we can no longer crawl into the bunk.
Getting old is like getting drunk-just sleep on the floor and be glad if you wake up

That boy can load his Harley if he uses CURVED ramps...Been there, done that and it works just fine....They also make a few different auto loaders he can copy if he can weld.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #28

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurescamptramp View Post
Getting old is like getting drunk-just sleep on the floor and be glad if you wake up

That boy can load his Harley if he uses CURVED ramps...Been there, done that and it works just fine....They also make a few different auto loaders he can copy if he can weld.
Rather than sleep on the floor, we could always use the dinette. That just defeats the main reason we got the fiver in the first place.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #29

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperjim View Post
I have a 2002 5th wheel and pull it with a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 31" bed height. I did have to raise the camper, otherwise the hitch frame would beat up the top of the truck bed. My local welding shop raised the Scamp 4" and installed a new hitch (adjustable) on the Scamp, too.

Dodge (and I think other truck manufacturers) raised the bed height in their pickups around 2002, so I've been told.

Bed floor height on my 2010 two wheel drive F150 is over 34 inches. Four wheel drive is two inches taller. Top of bed is another 21 1/2 inches higher from that. Seems like all the brands of trucks have gotten a lot taller.

I sold my 2002 F150 earlier this year. The 2010 is a lot taller. I've had to add a side step on the bed as it is almost impossible to reach anything in the bed. Wish I had measured the 2002 before I sold it.

Wheel size adds to the problem. My 2002 Lariat came with 17 inch wheels, my 2010 came with 20 inch wheels.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp