Towing Scamp with Jeep Wrangler - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #15

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Mark,
I was wondering the same thing. I have a modified TJ Wrangler and later bought a 16' Scamp. The Jeep has a 4" long arm lift and 33" tires. I removed the coil springs and added Airock computer controlled air bags. A lifted Jeep takes some learning in the driving department while at freeway speeds without towing, so add a trailer and things can be even more interesting. There are many vehicles that would be more suitable for towing, but we all can't have the best, and everything else is a compromise. Mine feels secure at 60 in good weather, but may be iffy in ice or high winds while going 70. I have towed in high winds while going out to the local desert here. I passed a travel trailer on its side where a gust caught it and over she went. The Scamp was hardly affected by the wind probably due to the egg shape. My Jeep has front disc brakes, but stops slowly when I have the trailer brakes un-plugged. I wouldn't tow a trailer without brakes, even a 13'. The 4.0 six is underpowered for towing, and gets poor mileage. I have found that trailer balance is critical for good handling and stability. Having too much weight in the trailer's aft end caused side to side oscillations. Shifting the weight to the front eliminated the problem. With the Airock suspension tongue weight is no problem, as the computer keeps the Jeep level at all times no matter what the tongue weight is. That keeps the headlights out of people’s eyes too. I plan to learn how my Jeep reacts under differing conditions and see how it pans out. The factory tow ratings would not apply to my vehicle since it has been heavily modified. The rear bumper was fabricated from 2"x4"x.188" steel tube. It has been tied into the main frame rails. The receiver passes through the bumper fully welded both sides. Jeeps use panhard rods to control lateral forces (side to side). They are very effective. The Wrangler has short rear overhang which diminishes the leverage the trailer can exert on the tow vehicle. The drawback to the short overhang is that the tires can throw rocks at the trailer. Mud flaps could help that.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
scamp tj sml.jpg  

Old 03-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #16

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
others already answered.. but yes, a Jeep dealer can do it and they won't even charge ya!

Old 03-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
I am towing a 1978 4500 trillium with a 2004 Jeep wrangler TJ. 6cyl 5 speed, 31 inch tires, 3.73 gears..2 inch lift......the trailer does not have brakes...i want them (need)........when towing slow down, and pay even more attention to the road/bad drivers. it sucks gas like it is going out of style! but the roof comes off!!

take your time, drive safe, get trailer brakes and a bathroom!

post up some pics of your jeep
Old 03-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Smile

hope you can see this pic??
Attached Thumbnails
P7293875.JPG  
Old 03-12-2012, 12:25 AM   #19

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I have towed a 1984 13' Scamp (loaded with all the options) with my then new 4" Tera-flex lifted 1997 Wrangler 5 speed standard trans., 35" tires, and 4:88 gears. It was a strain pulling long grades and hills, using 3rd gear most of the climbs. 10.5 mpg is about average pulling. I had the Scamp lifted 6" to get to the out of way places. I now have a 2007 2 door Rubicon with 6" lift, and another 13' Scamp (in need of a lift). This one is an automatic, with 37" tires and 5:38 gears. Again 10.5 is average, and I really can't tell any difference between the I-6 4.0 and the V-6 3.6 as far a power goes. A V-8 would be great. I had trailer brakes added to my Scamps when the trailer would push my then Jeepster Commando through a traffic light when a quick stop was needed. I would like to have 16' trailer, but do not want to go over the recommended trailer weight. We live in a society that has many lawyers that will take everything from you should you be involved in an accident.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:36 AM   #20

Name: Mark
Trailer: shopping
Minnesota
Thanks for the replys and pics everyone. I will have to try and get a picture of my Jeep up as well. I think at this point I am going to play it safe and look for a 13' Scamp. If we decide not to use the Jeep, we have plenty of other bigger tow vehicles (2010 Dodge Ram 4 x 4). So if you know of a nice 13' with a bathroom, I would be very interested.

Thanks!

Mark Saiger
Old 03-12-2012, 11:25 PM   #21

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Right here on the forum under classifieds there is a Casita 13' with bathroom.

Tags
scamp