Towing Scamp with Jeep Wrangler - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2012, 10:58 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: shopping
Minnesota
Towing Scamp with Jeep Wrangler

Hi,

I am new to the forum and looking at possibly purchasing a scamp to pull with my 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a lift kit. Scamp is made just down the road a few miles from us. It's been a long time since my wife and I have been able to break away for some camping and we think it would be fun to go with our Jeep and a towable.

We are looking at the 13 footer and do want a bathroom. But also wondering if anyone has towed a 16 footer with a Jeep Wrangler 2 door. Towing capacity is 2000 pounds. Not sure the tongue weight. Our has the V6 and an automatic transmission.

Thanks for the help. I tried the search option and could not find any info on this topic.

Mark Saiger
Grand Rapids, MN

Old 03-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Hi Mark, welcome to FiberglassRV. You may want to check out the weights of molded fiberglass trailers here: Trailer Weights in the Real World

I can't help with the Jeep stuff, I tow my 2,150 pound trailer with a Ford truck, but wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Good luck on the egg hunt!

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #3

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Mark, welcome to FiberglassRV. You may want to check out the weights of molded fiberglass trailers here: Trailer Weights in the Real World

I can't help with the Jeep stuff, I tow my 2,150 pound trailer with a Ford truck, but wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Good luck on the egg hunt!

Thanks Donna,

Appreciate the warm welcome!

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
Old 03-11-2012, 12:15 PM   #4

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Welcome. Yea, prolly can do a 13'. Verify trailer loaded weight vs vehicle towing capability. Buy a trailer with brakes. Ya might need a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an adequate one now.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Welcome. Yea, prolly can do a 13'. Verify trailer loaded weight vs vehicle towing capability. Buy a trailer with brakes. Ya might need a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an adequate one now.
Thanks Thomas,

I am thinking the 13 foot would be the best option for Jeep Wrangler towing and definately with brakes. Just would make for a better overall towing experience. Just have to decide if stay small or go a bit bigger and use a different towing rig.

Thanks!

Mark Saiger
Old 03-11-2012, 12:23 PM   #6

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What does the Wrangler book state concerning towing?
UHaul would not install a hitch on my Son's Wrangler and stated it was not designed to tow.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #7

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Jeep site: 2012 Wrangler tow information.

2012 Wrangler | Towing Capability and Towing Capacity | Jeep
Old 03-11-2012, 12:36 PM   #8

Minnesota
Thanks for the reply Darwin. Mine came with the trailer towing package. I guess it is class II towing capalble.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #9

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
I tow a 17 footer with a 3.7l Jeep Liberty, V6. My Burro weighed over 3k, and although I most definitely knew it was back there, I did fine. I have weight distribution and sway control..and brakes.

Run your Vin. Mine looks like any other Liberty, but it came from the factory with a different rear end and was specifically built for towing. My rating is 5k, where a "normal" Liberty is 3500. Its a long shot, but maybe they did that with select Wranglers too.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:45 PM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Welcome Mark to Fiberglass, just have fun with what ever you get and enjoy it!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #11

Minnesota
Thanks Roger and Gina!

Gina, were would you suggest running the vin number to get that info?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome Mark, I have a '99 Wrangler TJ that has a 6" long arm lift and rides on 33x 12.50 tires, it has a class three hitch but I don't like to tow with it because the coil springs make it hard to handle even when not towing.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:36 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
A Jeep dealer should be able to look up the vin for you. If you have a service history with a local dealership, it should be happy to do that for a customer.

The lift will make tow handling more difficult. I really don't think I'd go bigger than a 13 either. Too prone to roll-over with a bunch of weight hitched to it. A 16 will almost certainly be over the 2K limit you mentioned, and don't forget, that rating is for a stock vehicle, which yours isn't. Sorry I can't be more optimistic... I'm a guy who towed a 13 with a Dodge Omni on a 2000 mile trip, but I would not put a 16 behind your vehicle.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:45 PM   #14

Name: Stephen
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13
Indiana
I used to do quite a bit of towing with a Wrangler (1993 YJ 4.0L with a 1969 Apache Ramada). First of all, the biggest constraining factor of a Wrangler is the wheelbase, not the engine (though a 4.0L is highly recommended). I can't speak to what sort of lift and wheels you have, but the higher your center of gravity, the less stability you will have. I'd stick with the 13', and be sure to put your heaviest gear in your Jeep, not your camper, when you travel. Also, be sure to have trailer brakes; the short wheelbase on the Jeep makes it jackknife much more easily in a sudden stop. My Apache would push me an extra 20 feet or so (no brakes) when wet, and I've been pushed off the road at least once to avoid a wreck. Wish I had ABS. Hope this helps.

Tags
scamp