Towing Scamp with Jeep Wrangler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: shopping
Minnesota
Towing Scamp with Jeep Wrangler

Hi,

I am new to the forum and looking at possibly purchasing a scamp to pull with my 2001 Jeep Wrangler with a lift kit. Scamp is made just down the road a few miles from us. It's been a long time since my wife and I have been able to break away for some camping and we think it would be fun to go with our Jeep and a towable.

We are looking at the 13 footer and do want a bathroom. But also wondering if anyone has towed a 16 footer with a Jeep Wrangler 2 door. Towing capacity is 2000 pounds. Not sure the tongue weight. Our has the V6 and an automatic transmission.

Thanks for the help. I tried the search option and could not find any info on this topic.

Mark Saiger
Grand Rapids, MN
Mark Saiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mark, welcome to FiberglassRV. You may want to check out the weights of molded fiberglass trailers here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

I can't help with the Jeep stuff, I tow my 2,150 pound trailer with a Ford truck, but wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Good luck on the egg hunt!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #3

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hi Mark, welcome to FiberglassRV. You may want to check out the weights of molded fiberglass trailers here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

I can't help with the Jeep stuff, I tow my 2,150 pound trailer with a Ford truck, but wanted to welcome you to the forum.

Good luck on the egg hunt!

Thanks Donna,

Appreciate the warm welcome!

Mark Saiger
www.saigers.com
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome. Yea, prolly can do a 13'. Verify trailer loaded weight vs vehicle towing capability. Buy a trailer with brakes. Ya might need a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an adequate one now.
Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #5

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Welcome. Yea, prolly can do a 13'. Verify trailer loaded weight vs vehicle towing capability. Buy a trailer with brakes. Ya might need a transmission cooler if it doesn't have an adequate one now.
Thanks Thomas,

I am thinking the 13 foot would be the best option for Jeep Wrangler towing and definately with brakes. Just would make for a better overall towing experience. Just have to decide if stay small or go a bit bigger and use a different towing rig.

Thanks!

Mark Saiger
Old 03-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
What does the Wrangler book state concerning towing?
UHaul would not install a hitch on my Son's Wrangler and stated it was not designed to tow.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Jeep site: 2012 Wrangler tow information.

2012 Wrangler | Towing Capability and Towing Capacity | Jeep
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #8

Minnesota
Thanks for the reply Darwin. Mine came with the trailer towing package. I guess it is class II towing capalble.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I tow a 17 footer with a 3.7l Jeep Liberty, V6. My Burro weighed over 3k, and although I most definitely knew it was back there, I did fine. I have weight distribution and sway control..and brakes.

Run your Vin. Mine looks like any other Liberty, but it came from the factory with a different rear end and was specifically built for towing. My rating is 5k, where a "normal" Liberty is 3500. Its a long shot, but maybe they did that with select Wranglers too.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #10

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

Welcome Mark to Fiberglass, just have fun with what ever you get and enjoy it!
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #11

Minnesota
Thanks Roger and Gina!

Gina, were would you suggest running the vin number to get that info?

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome Mark, I have a '99 Wrangler TJ that has a 6" long arm lift and rides on 33x 12.50 tires, it has a class three hitch but I don't like to tow with it because the coil springs make it hard to handle even when not towing.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
A Jeep dealer should be able to look up the vin for you. If you have a service history with a local dealership, it should be happy to do that for a customer.

The lift will make tow handling more difficult. I really don't think I'd go bigger than a 13 either. Too prone to roll-over with a bunch of weight hitched to it. A 16 will almost certainly be over the 2K limit you mentioned, and don't forget, that rating is for a stock vehicle, which yours isn't. Sorry I can't be more optimistic... I'm a guy who towed a 13 with a Dodge Omni on a 2000 mile trip, but I would not put a 16 behind your vehicle.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #14

Name: Stephen
Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13
Indiana
I used to do quite a bit of towing with a Wrangler (1993 YJ 4.0L with a 1969 Apache Ramada). First of all, the biggest constraining factor of a Wrangler is the wheelbase, not the engine (though a 4.0L is highly recommended). I can't speak to what sort of lift and wheels you have, but the higher your center of gravity, the less stability you will have. I'd stick with the 13', and be sure to put your heaviest gear in your Jeep, not your camper, when you travel. Also, be sure to have trailer brakes; the short wheelbase on the Jeep makes it jackknife much more easily in a sudden stop. My Apache would push me an extra 20 feet or so (no brakes) when wet, and I've been pushed off the road at least once to avoid a wreck. Wish I had ABS. Hope this helps.
StephenNCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #15

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Mark,
I was wondering the same thing. I have a modified TJ Wrangler and later bought a 16' Scamp. The Jeep has a 4" long arm lift and 33" tires. I removed the coil springs and added Airock computer controlled air bags. A lifted Jeep takes some learning in the driving department while at freeway speeds without towing, so add a trailer and things can be even more interesting. There are many vehicles that would be more suitable for towing, but we all can't have the best, and everything else is a compromise. Mine feels secure at 60 in good weather, but may be iffy in ice or high winds while going 70. I have towed in high winds while going out to the local desert here. I passed a travel trailer on its side where a gust caught it and over she went. The Scamp was hardly affected by the wind probably due to the egg shape. My Jeep has front disc brakes, but stops slowly when I have the trailer brakes un-plugged. I wouldn't tow a trailer without brakes, even a 13'. The 4.0 six is underpowered for towing, and gets poor mileage. I have found that trailer balance is critical for good handling and stability. Having too much weight in the trailer's aft end caused side to side oscillations. Shifting the weight to the front eliminated the problem. With the Airock suspension tongue weight is no problem, as the computer keeps the Jeep level at all times no matter what the tongue weight is. That keeps the headlights out of people’s eyes too. I plan to learn how my Jeep reacts under differing conditions and see how it pans out. The factory tow ratings would not apply to my vehicle since it has been heavily modified. The rear bumper was fabricated from 2"x4"x.188" steel tube. It has been tied into the main frame rails. The receiver passes through the bumper fully welded both sides. Jeeps use panhard rods to control lateral forces (side to side). They are very effective. The Wrangler has short rear overhang which diminishes the leverage the trailer can exert on the tow vehicle. The drawback to the short overhang is that the tires can throw rocks at the trailer. Mud flaps could help that.
Russ
Attached Thumbnails
scamp tj sml.jpg  
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #16

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
others already answered.. but yes, a Jeep dealer can do it and they won't even charge ya!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #17

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
I am towing a 1978 4500 trillium with a 2004 Jeep wrangler TJ. 6cyl 5 speed, 31 inch tires, 3.73 gears..2 inch lift......the trailer does not have brakes...i want them (need)........when towing slow down, and pay even more attention to the road/bad drivers. it sucks gas like it is going out of style! but the roof comes off!!

take your time, drive safe, get trailer brakes and a bathroom!

post up some pics of your jeep
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Smile

hope you can see this pic??
Attached Thumbnails
P7293875.JPG  
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have towed a 1984 13' Scamp (loaded with all the options) with my then new 4" Tera-flex lifted 1997 Wrangler 5 speed standard trans., 35" tires, and 4:88 gears. It was a strain pulling long grades and hills, using 3rd gear most of the climbs. 10.5 mpg is about average pulling. I had the Scamp lifted 6" to get to the out of way places. I now have a 2007 2 door Rubicon with 6" lift, and another 13' Scamp (in need of a lift). This one is an automatic, with 37" tires and 5:38 gears. Again 10.5 is average, and I really can't tell any difference between the I-6 4.0 and the V-6 3.6 as far a power goes. A V-8 would be great. I had trailer brakes added to my Scamps when the trailer would push my then Jeepster Commando through a traffic light when a quick stop was needed. I would like to have 16' trailer, but do not want to go over the recommended trailer weight. We live in a society that has many lawyers that will take everything from you should you be involved in an accident.
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:36 AM   #20

Minnesota
Thanks for the replys and pics everyone. I will have to try and get a picture of my Jeep up as well. I think at this point I am going to play it safe and look for a 13' Scamp. If we decide not to use the Jeep, we have plenty of other bigger tow vehicles (2010 Dodge Ram 4 x 4). So if you know of a nice 13' with a bathroom, I would be very interested.

Thanks!

Mark Saiger

Tags
scamp