Towing speed - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #71

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
Lets say you are driving at EXACTLY 50 mph and I am either ahead of you or behind you, but I am also going EXACTLY 50 mph. Can you please explain how you could hit me (or I could hit you)
If we were separated by 200 feet, we'd ALWAYS be separated by 200 feet.

Now if I'm behind and you are going exactly 50 and I'm going EXACTLY 65 - we are gonna have an issue of non-constant spacing- IE a potential accident.

If EVERYONE is going exactly 50 - no issues.
If Everyone is going EXACTLY 75 - no issues - no collisions are possible at all!

But if one person is going either 50 when traffic is doing 75 OR one person is doing 75 when traffic is doing 50 - issues arise, collisions occur, and deaths are possible.

The scariest ride I ever had was with my mother, when she was well into her 70's.

She had been taught that the safest and most economical speed was 50.
So there she was driving down the highway at 50. Problem was - Canada had become metric and her Nissan had a speedometer that read in Km/hr. She was doing 50 kph (approx 30 mph) in a 110 kph (70 mph) zone. There was NO way to convince her that 110 was a safe speed, because "she KNEW that 50 was "safe" and nothing faster was safe!

So for those who think it is not important to move with traffic- try driving 30 on a multi-lane where the posted speed is 70. Leave instructions for your heirs and executors to let us know how it worked out for you.

I don't think ANYONE is saying you always have to drive at the posted limit, (after all, the signs on the highways still read the same even in a blinding snowstorm!) but you should make EVERY attempt to move WITH traffic and not create an accident by being out of step. (and if your trailer tires can't keep up - well that's a separate topic that just reinforces my own view that, in rating a tire as ST, the manufacturer is stating that they realize it is not safe to use for any purpose whatever)!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:59 AM   #72

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
From the 2012 Florida Drivers Handbook, section 5.5 "Driving Safely":

Drive with the flow of traffic (within the speed limit). Driving too slowly can be as dangerous as driving too fast.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #73
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
From the 2012 Florida Drivers Handbook, section 5.5 "Driving Safely":

Drive with the flow of traffic (within the speed limit). Driving too slowly can be as dangerous as driving too fast.
Ray, I like your post and the 5.5 guideline. When the speeds are reasonable I follow that guideline.

Even though we have the hardware to cruise with the best of them we have reached a point in our lives that we really dislike the high speed highways when towing (lived, worked, driven, in Toronto for many years).

When at all possible we take the secondary roads when towing.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #74

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Ray, I like your post and the 5.5 guideline. When the speeds are reasonable I follow that guideline.

Even though we have the hardware to cruise with the best of them we have reached a point in our lives that we really dislike the high speed highways when towing (lived, worked, driven, in Toronto for many years).

When at all possible we take the secondary roads when towing.
Those are the same guidelines they gave us in driver's education in the early 60's while in high school in New Jersey. "The safest speed is to go with the flow - anything faster or slower is dangerous."
Old 06-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #75

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
"The safest speed is to go with the flow - anything faster or slower is dangerous."
Following that practice might not work so well for you Ray when the flow is all doing over the speed limit which happens on a number of highways in my area. The highway patrol love it when people decide to go with the flow, as they will have one of their officers on the side of the road with a radar gun who radios an officer further down the road who waves folks over and more often than not they will take a big line of them out all at once.... enough to keep two or three other officers writing tickets as fast as they can ... good for the province coffers not so good for the personal pocket book. Apparently our highway patrol doesn't subscribe to the theory it is safer to go with the flow of the traffic.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #76

British Columbia
Yet they will also ticket for obstructing traffic if you are more than 10 kph slower than "average - even if you were also over the limit at the time! (Seen 'em do it on the Coq connector)

Personally I'd LOVE to see them issue "Driving to the Common Danger" tix for going too slow - that one carries mandatory jail time!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #77

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
*still sitting on my thumbs*
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #78

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Yet they will also ticket for obstructing traffic if you are more than 10 kph slower than "average - even if you were also over the limit at the time! (Seen 'em do it on the Coq connector)
>>>>
Unless it was in the hammer lane, I'd love to get a ticket like this. Maybe I could get some money out of it because, it would be a fairly clear case of harassment.
GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Old 06-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #79

British Columbia
Harassment?
You mean after they got YOU for the 4th or 5th time?
And never once ticketed anyone else?
If they only ticketed YOU once and they also got anyone else who was also clearly disrupting the safe flow of traffic and thereby presenting a clear risk to the lives of others on the road, how could you get anywhere with fighting it?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:58 PM   #80

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Harassment?
You mean after they got YOU for the 4th or 5th time?
And never once ticketed anyone else?
If they only ticketed YOU once and they also got anyone else who was also clearly disrupting the safe flow of traffic and thereby presenting a clear risk to the lives of others on the road, how could you get anywhere with fighting it?
After they ticket me the very first time for obeying the law. They ticketed more people for the same? That's what the class action is for.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #81

British Columbia
Not ticketed for obeying the law. For DISobeying the law through driving in a manner such that you present a clear danger to life safety of all others on the road.

If you hold that being below the speed limit is safe, they try driving on the 401 at 1 mph. (NOT when it has clotted, but when it is moving at its more "normal" 120 kph). You are not speeding. Therefore (therefive?) you are obeying the law? Are you safe? Are you driving in manner conducive to the safety of all others? Or are you recklessly endangering the lives of others on the road?

By presenting a disruption to the normal flow of traffic you are increasing the risk of collisions.

At what point does a significant deviation from the normal flow of traffic become a dangerous risk? Define "significant variation". 10 kph ? 20 kph? 31.7 kph? 60 KPH? 100" 250?

If there are 350 vehicles per hour passing a given point and 5 of them are attempting to travel at a speed significantly different from the others - tickets SHOULD be issued and they should be for major amounts of $$$$!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #82

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Dave as you well know most 2 line highways in Canada are only rated at 80 kph/50mph and Multi lanes at 100kph/62 mph - yup we have some at 110kph/68 mph but not that many - way more at 90kph/55mph! We also have posted truck rates on many of them which are lower than the max so if someone is traveling at the posted truck rate its a good bet they are not going to get into any great trouble in most of this country - for the simple reason if a truck can travel at their posted speed and not be fined for impeding traffic why cant a car? Actually a number of states have laws in place that state that people towing are only suppose to do the posted truck rate.

Do you have a link to anything that supports that the tickets are going to folks on the Coq connector doing 10 KPH slower than *AVERAGE* even if going *OVER* the posted. Seriously? Do you honestly think thats why they were being pulled over? Did you stop to ask? My money rides on them being issued a speeding ticket not a ticket for going to slow, if they were traveling over the speed limit.

Is there a link to anything that supports that they were even giving them out for doing 10 KPH under the actual posted limit? I know they have been targeting some highways for slow drivers but the number I heard wasn't 10kph/6mph it was way more than that. Would love to see some support for what you have suggested - as you know few of the commercial trucks travel on the Coq or its connector, through large sections of it are doing anywhere close to being within 10 KPH of the posted limit - more like 40 KPH below.

You are correct the MV law in BC does address slow driving but it does not actually say 10 kph slower - it reads:

Slow driving
145 (1) A person must not drive a motor vehicle at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.

(2) If the driver of a motor vehicle is driving at so slow a speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, a peace officer may require the driver to increase his or her speed, or to remove the motor vehicle from the roadway to the nearest suitable place and to refrain from causing or allowing the motor vehicle to move from that place until directed to do so by a peace officer.

Frederick is correct those who are going to tow fast are going to do it. But they sure come up with all sorts of interesting reasons for doing it .
Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM   #83

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Not ticketed for obeying the law. For DISobeying the law through driving in a manner such that you present a clear danger to life safety of all others on the road.
If you hold that being below the speed limit is safe, they try driving on the 401 at 1 mph. (NOT when it has clotted, but when it is moving at its more "normal" 120 kph). You are not speeding. Therefore (therefive?) you are obeying the law?! Are you safe? Are you driving in manner conducive to the safety of all others? Or are you recklessly endangering the lives of others on the road?
You were writing about being ticketed " if you are more than 10 kph slower than "average - even if you were also over the limit at the time!" and this was precisely what I was referring to. If I'm going 100 in the right lane I can not get ticketed just because everybody else would like to go 120 and this is because the legal limit on 401 IS 100. And yes, I am driving safely. I'm just not a lemming.

Quote:
By presenting a disruption to the normal flow of traffic you are increasing the risk of collisions.

At what point does a significant deviation from the normal flow of traffic become a dangerous risk? Define "significant variation". 10 kph ? 20 kph? 31.7 kph? 60 KPH? 100" 250?

If there are 350 vehicles per hour passing a given point and 5 of them are attempting to travel at a speed significantly different from the others - tickets SHOULD be issued and they should be for major amounts of $$$$!
Well, you are right. You are 345 times right! If 345 vehicles are travelling over the speed limit than, 345 tickets should be issued!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:08 PM   #84

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Well, you are right. You are 345 times right! If 350 vehicles are travelling over the speed limit than, 345 tickets should be issued!
Yup and they actually do that on highway 99 between Whistler and Vancouver

Closed Thread