Towing speed - Page 7 - Fiberglass RV

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #85

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I live near Lake Isabella, Ca. which is a major tourist destination in the summer.
I went to Bakersfield today which is about an hour trip.
My return trip took almost 2 hours.
Fourteen miles is up through the Kern Canyon which is 14 miles of 2 lane highway.
It's a beautiful and unerving trip for people not used to 2 lane Mtn. roads.
The normally 20 minute trip throught the Canyon took almost an hour.
I was about # 20 behind a small motorhome. There were at least another 20 behind me.
You can rationalize all you want but people who are going slower than the flow of traffic who do not allow others to pass or don't pull over when traffic is pileing up behind them are a menace and simply rude.
I don't mean to insult anyone. But I don't like to beat around the bush when something needs to be said.
I don't think it's my job to tell anyone how fast they can go.
I drive/tow at the speed limit and sometimes faster. If I'm on a 2 lane road and some fool wants to go 90 MPH I pull over and let him.
It never hurts to be polite.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #86

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Modified Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
>>>>
If I'm on a 2 lane road and some fool wants to go 90 MPH I pull over and let him.
It never hurts to be polite.
Yes! Still;
I do reserve the right to go 90 km/h on a highway where the speed limit is 90 km/h
I do reserve the right to go in the right lane at 90 km/h on a multi lane highway even if the max speed is posted as 120
I do assume an obligation to let pass the ones that desire to go faster when it is safe to do so. That includes; sometimes signalling with the right blinker, sometimes driving on the shoulder and sometimes, just waiting for the road widening to a passing double lane which is common in Ontario.
If somebody decides that he wants to pass me on a blind corner because he wants to drive over the limit and I don't... my obligations are reduced to praying that there is no oncoming traffic.
Having said that; I also reserve the right to sometimes just fly at the 120+ (my setup allows me to do it safely in the right conditions) and curse at somebody doing 90 in the hammer lane...

GPS hobby: www.GPSNuts.com
Old 06-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #87

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Cant argue with your point Perry - LOL we have a few roads around here that are like that & I towed on one on Sunday although its been recently upgraded to a 2 lane both directions in lots of sections so more chances than in the past to pass safely and I found myself passing a lot of folks on Sunday who were not towing, even a few motorcycles. I rarely if ever go under the speed limit on two lanes road with the exception of places such a Montana were they seem to have only one speed limit sign for every road :-) even then I pulled over any time someone came up behind me but it was interesting because more than half of them didnt actually want to pass me.

I think most of this discussion revolves around the need for speed on a multi lane freeway where there are plenty on options for someone to pass you.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #88

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
>>>>> but it was interesting because more than half of them didnt actually want to pass me.
>>>>
Well, they could be using you as a make shift "radar detector". I do admit to doing that from time to time except, I keep about a half a mile distance. If they are going over the limit and I see that they are slamming on the breakes... gives me just enough time to slow down and not be caught.... just because that sometimes I choose to tow at 90 km/hr does not mean that I always do.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #89

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew GPSMapNut View Post
Well, they could be using you as a make shift "radar detector". I do admit to doing that from time to time except, I keep about a half a mile distance.
Nope not on the back roads of Montana where the posted was 75 but the truth is on many of those secondary two lane curvy roads no one does the posted limit.... unless they have a death wish. I was only doing 55 tops, some times less depending on the road, so they sure where not going to get a ticket if they passed me. My understanding is that as Montana did not have any speed limit until 1999 when first implemented they only made up one sign which is the max for the whole state .... nothing saying you have to do it or that anyone ever really did it on some of those roads. 13 years later you still dont see to many signs less than 75 in Montana outside of an urban area.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:18 PM   #90

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
>>>>13 years later you still dont see to many signs less than 75 in Montana outside of an urban area.
Oh, I wish. In my other life I used to be a rally driver. Now, I (think) still know how to drive fast but (out of the city) I'm now... (mostly) pulling a trailer and enjoy the views.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #91

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
My new tires are rated for 106mph, I guess I won't be testing their limits anytime soon. Towing speeds will depend on the law, location, driving conditions and which vehicle I'm towing with. I'd have no issues towing 70-75mph with my truck (3/4 ton diesel set up to tow a 10klb 5th wheel) out here in West texas where the limit is 80 and anything much less than 75 would probably be more dangerous than just keeping up with the flow. If I'm towing with my AWD Astro van, I'd have to consider 70 my upper limit. Van just isn't near the tow vehicle the truck is.

Oh, did I mention I don't believe in trailer tires. I think they are a marketing gimmick to make cheap tires that don't have to pass DOT quality specs enforced on tires that carry human cargo. I'll take my chances driving faster with truck tires on the trailer.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #92

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RB and Bigfoot 21RB
British Columbia
OK - now lets bring it on back to the real world.

Suppose a person is going along a highway - a 2 lanes in each direction, divided highway. (S)He is is going 50. The limit is 70 (common in MANY states) She is NOT speeding, no one else is speeding. The other 350 vehicles per hour are all doing 70. In this example - No-one is SPEEDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However "our hero" is presenting a speed difference of 20 mph. If there is an accident - who's the ONLY one who could potentially have introduced a "bubble" in the flow of traffic? Who is presenting a danger to others? Who could potentially be responsible for some deaths?

You are NEVER going to convince me to stop and just park in the second lane of the 401, while everyone streams on by at 75 mph. Nor to drive at 1 mph in a 70 zone. Or 2 mph. Or 5 or 10 when everyone else is doing 70. I will move with traffic.

Since this is a TOWING thread, not a DRIVING one, if my trailer tires are not safe to operate at prevailing speeds then I should receive a very healthy ticket for knowingly operating an unsafe vehicle on a public road

And yes, a former coworker - who now lives in Westbank got nailed on the Coq connector for unsafe driving for towing his powerboat at 105 kph, thus impeding traffic and presenting an undue hazard to other drivers. Cost him a ton of cash - which he sez was worth every penny as his wife had been ragging on him for going too fast when the cops pulled him over. She thought he was getting a speeding tik, so he sez the look on her face when she found out he was getting nailed for going too SLOW.....

(by the way - big boat - it sleeps 6 and tows skiers, 3 axle trailer)
Old 06-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #93

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
And yes, a former coworker - who now lives in Westbank got nailed on the Coq connector for unsafe driving for towing his powerboat at 105 kph, thus impeding traffic and presenting an undue hazard to other drivers.
(by the way - big boat - it sleeps 6 and tows skiers, 3 axle trailer)
Would have loved to have read that ticket.... suspect a lawyer would suggest that due to how the slow driving legislation is worded it would be pretty darn challengeable as well. Even stranger that the limit is only 110 kph and they have been hammering speeders hard on that section of road for the past couple of years - I have driven it many times. Even more surprised is that the topic of speeding on that section of road gets a lots of press but haven't seen any press on the topic of people getting ticketed for going 5 kph under - would think that would be a pretty big news item. Strange situation for sure.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #94

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
[
Oh, did I mention I don't believe in trailer tires. I think they are a marketing gimmick to make cheap tires that don't have to pass DOT quality specs enforced on tires that carry human cargo. I'll take my chances driving faster with truck tires on the trailer.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks trailer tires are a rip.
I've towed 6 horse horse trailers and everything in between my present Lil Bigfoot and have never concerned my self with "trailer tires".
Never had a problem.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #95

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Angry I go camping for 3 days without internet access...

... and we have a free-for-all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry J View Post
I don't think it's my job to tell anyone how fast they can go.

No minds are being changed here.

This topic is closed.

Closed Thread