Towing speed - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #21

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
As my tires are only rated to 65 mph and my car also does better on fuel consumption at a slower speed I normally stay under 60 on pavement. But in some states it may be well below that as it depends on what state I am towing through, Washington for example is the posted truck speed.

On gravel roads it depends on the condition of the road.... but more often than not its slow!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I try to keep 60-64mph on the highways. If I go 55 the 18 wheelers start passing me, I generally keep the same pace with them.

The state of California is indeed in poor financial shape, I just found out the bay area bridges will start charging $20 toll for 3 axles, which includes a vehicle towing a single axle trailer!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #23

Registry
Its not just California taking the approach to charging fees to cover the cost of rebuilding an old bridge or highway or putting in a new one.

We have/had a number of them in BC for many years. The price is normally set so that it works out to be just enough that you save more money than the fee on gas rather than driving the long way around to avoid the fee or in the case of commercial drivers it saves them a number of hours of time. In some situations in big cities they are putting a fee structure in place just for using a certain road - they are doing it to encourage people to use transit and to try and reduce the volume of traffic on a specific road way.

Ever been to London, England? If you go into the city between 6AM and 6PM on Monday to Friday that will cost you about US$15.

We currently have one bridge now where they take a photo of your licence plate and then send you the bill in the mail if you do not have a monthly pass. Never thought of it but I am guessing as they dont have the addresses of those without a BC licence plate that tourists dont actually get a bill. hummm.

Edit: Have been informed that even if you have an out of Province plate you will get a bill as the provinces share info or at least some do.
Old 06-04-2012, 12:47 PM   #24

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
I like to "go with the flow" of at least the 18 wheelers around me, which here in Florida is 70 mph on the Interstate Highways. I bought Kumho 857 tires for my egg because it has a speed rating well above the usual 65 mph of most trailer tires - Tire Rack says 106 mph, (but I really don't think I'll be going that fast any time soon). Plus the 857 is (usually) made in Korea instead of China, and has good reviews. Tire Rack describes the 857 this way: "The Radial 857 is KUMHO's Euro-metric Commercial-sized special purpose tire designed for use on trailers. Radial 857 tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks."

I don't mind going slower when I'm in a state where the 18 wheelers have a more limited speed limit, but I don't feel comfortable going slower than they do.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:51 PM   #25
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Although we are built for speed (car tires are speed rated for 260 KPH and the trailer tires are rated for 180KPH) we keep highway cruising down to a dull roar. 100KPH (60MPH).
Attached Thumbnails
Air Fast Performer.jpg  
Old 06-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #26

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Question This is bad because?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasE View Post
I try to keep 60-64mph on the highways. If I go 55 the 18 wheelers start passing me, I generally keep the same pace with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I don't mind going slower when I'm in a state where the 18 wheelers have a more limited speed limit, but I don't feel comfortable going slower than they do.
Am I missing something here?

ALL of the 18 wheelers pass me, and I'm OK with that. The only people I pass are the 86 year old great-grandmas who can barely see over the steering wheel.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Although we are built for speed (car tires are speed rated for 260 KPH and the trailer tires are rated for 180KPH) we keep highway cruising down to a dull roar. 100KPH (60MPH).
Trailer tires rated at 180KPH??? Really - I think you might want to slow down Trailer tires ST means they are only rated at 105 KPH/65mph or at least mine are and I thought that was the case with all ST's
Old 06-04-2012, 09:45 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Trailer tires rated at 180KPH??? Really - I think you might want to slow down Trailer tires ST means they are only rated at 105 KPH/65mph or at least mine are and I thought that was the case with all ST's

No Carol - Hate to break it to ya, but there are several that are rated as high as 160kph (100 MPH) and are trailer rated - usually with a load range D as well. Several have been posted on here as well, but since there is no "products recommended by members" section it is next to impossible to find them!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #29

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The speed rating of Kumho 857, Maxxis UE 168, and Hankook RA 08 is "Q". That rating is 99 mph or 160 km/hr. All three tires are sold for trailer use but are not ST tires. They are foreign commercial truck tires. I have Kumho 857 tires on my Bigfoot but never drive over 65 mph.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #30

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
Am I missing something here?

ALL of the 18 wheelers pass me, and I'm OK with that. The only people I pass are the 86 year old great-grandmas who can barely see over the steering wheel.

I have no patience - when I am going somewhere I wanna get there, ASAP!

I was disappointed that I could not find (on this site)any reference to the Kumho 857 trailer tires that are rated to 100 mph - they have been mentioned and recommended by members, but unless you specifically search for "Kumho 857", you won't find them - and if you knew to do that, you wouldn't have to!

By the time I found about them, it was too late - I had already spent a ton of $$$ on a new set of tires that are still rated to only 65 mph - but I had to replace the one year old Marathons that seemed to love going "blooie".

I'd love to know who are the moderators (Yes Frederick, I know you are one, but you are the only one I know of) so I could PM all of them with a suggestion to establish a "products recommended by members" section. I'd even volunteer to be the moderator of it!
Old 06-04-2012, 10:55 PM   #31

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
I have no patience - when I am going somewhere I wanna get there, ASAP!

I was disappointed that I could not find (on this site)any reference to the Kumho 857 trailer tires that are rated to 100 mph - they have been mentioned and recommended by members, but unless you specifically search for "Kumho 857", you won't find them - and if you knew to do that, you wouldn't have to!

By the time I found about them, it was too late - I had already spent a ton of $$$ on a new set of tires that are still rated to only 65 mph - but I had to replace the one year old Marathons that seemed to love going "blooie".

I'd love to know who are the moderators (Yes Frederick, I know you are one, but you are the only one I know of) so I could PM all of them with a suggestion to establish a "products recommended by members" section. I'd even volunteer to be the moderator of it!
According to the Kumho web sit those tires are rated for an RPM of 817. When you calculate that it comes slightly less than 65 mph. Unless you have some other information those tires are rated for the same maximum as all other ST tires.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #32

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

According to the Kumho web sit those tires are rated for an RPM of 817. When you calculate that it comes slightly less than 65 mph. Unless you have some other information those tires are rated for the same maximum as all other ST tires.

And yet they are "Q" speed rated - which comes to just about 100 mph!

On edit: The RPM on a tire spec chart is for purposes of speedometer calibration and refers to tire revolutions per MILE (not per minute) and is thus reflective of the tire's rolling diameter under load. It is NOT related in any manner to speed ratings!

I have no objections to getting away from a specific ST rating - perhaps maybe even going to tires that just might (here's a radical idea!) stay intact while going down the road at 60 mph, inflated to max and carrying way less than rated load! If they could do that for a year after purchase that'd beat the whee out of my experience to date with the ST rated Marathons!

I never had a problem with trailer tires until I started running ST rating tires - since then I have nothing but expen$ive grief!

Here is what I find on the Kumho website:

RADIAL 857

TRAILER TIRE

The 857 with it's solid commercial construction provides the durability and reliability you need from a trailer tire.
SPECIAL FEATURES

• Radial tires for commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer.
  • Deep zigzag grooves for increased mileage and traction.
  • Straight center groove and sipes on four ribs to improve ride and noise.
They say a "typical competitor tire is the Goodyear Marathon"

In their chart on tire specs they show it as UTQG rated (whatever that means) and searching further I find :

The Radial 857 is KUMHO's Euro-metric Commercial-sized special purpose tire designed for use on trailers. Radial 857 tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks.
On the outside, the Radial 857 features a 4-rib design to provide constant rubber-to-road contact that delivers dependable highway stability, traction and durability. Internally, the Radial 857 features twin steel belts that stabilize the tread to increase traction, while a 2-ply, polyester cord body helps even out the trailer's ride.
KUMHO Radial 857 tires feature blackwall styling and are available in Q-speed rated 82-series, Load Range D (65 psi) Euro-metric Commercial sizes for 14" wheel diameters.
Special purpose trailer tires are not UTQG rated.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #33

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm cheap... I admit it. I figured out a loooong time ago, that I can't spend the same nickle twice. Fuel is EXPENSIVE on the west coast. Paid over $81 to fill my truck yesterday, and that will get me on the road for six business days. Sigh.

So... when pulling the trailer I travel 55-60mph and have found out that (typically) the truck gets the best MPG at 57 mph. I try to keep as much money in my pocket as I can for transportation costs, so I can spend it on other things.
I too have seen a significant difference in gas mileage between 57/58 and 65. On a recent trip to LA the difference was 3mpg Of course every rig will have it's own sweet spot and there are many variables that figure in.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:44 PM   #34

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
And yet they are "Q" speed rated - which comes to just about 100 mph!

I have no objections to getting away from a specific ST rating - perhaps maybe even going to tires that just might (here's a radical idea!) stay intact while going down the road at 60 mph, inflated to max and carrying way less than rated load! If they could do that for a year after purchase that'd beat the whee out of my experience to date with the ST rated Marathons!

I never had a problem with trailer tires until I started running ST rating tires - since then I have nothing but expen$ive grief!

Here is what I find on the Kumho websit

RADIAL 857

TRAILER TIRE

The 857 with it's solid commercial construction provides the durability and reliability you need from a trailer tire.
SPECIAL FEATURES

• Radial tires for commercial light truck, transporter, van and trailer.
  • Deep zigzag grooves for increased mileage and traction.
  • Straight center groove and sipes on four ribs to improve ride and noise.
They say a "typical competitor tire is the Goodyear Marathon"

In their chart on tire specs they show it as UTQG rated (whatever that means) and searching further I find :

The Radial 857 is KUMHO's Euro-metric Commercial-sized special purpose tire designed for use on trailers. Radial 857 tires are not intended to be used on cars or light trucks.
On the outside, the Radial 857 features a 4-rib design to provide constant rubber-to-road contact that delivers dependable highway stability, traction and durability. Internally, the Radial 857 features twin steel belts that stabilize the tread to increase traction, while a 2-ply, polyester cord body helps even out the trailer's ride.
KUMHO Radial 857 tires feature blackwall styling and are available in Q-speed rated 82-series, Load Range D (65 psi) Euro-metric Commercial sizes for 14" wheel diameters.
Special purpose trailer tires are not UTQG rated.

Here's what I found.

No matter what the tire rating is it's still a good idea to slow down. You're going to have a heart attack if you don't learn how to relax and slow, that is if don't crash and die first.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:51 AM   #35

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
The only people I pass are the 86 year old great-grandmas who can barely see over the steering wheel.
Except in the Pasadena area, I assume....?
Old 06-05-2012, 05:28 AM   #36

British Columbia
In a "brand New, Shiny-Red Super Stock Dodge?"
Old 06-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #37

Registry
Tire Rack lists four sizes of Kumho 857 tires. They show two rated as "Q" speed rated at 99 mph, and two at "R" speed rating at 106 mph.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 AM   #38

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It does not appear that any of the Kumho tires will fit a 13" rim.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #39

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Tire Rack lists four sizes of Kumho 857 tires. They show two rated as "Q" speed rated at 99 mph, and two at "R" speed rating at 106 mph.
"R" is a light truck speed rating, and "Q" is a winter tire car rating.
What I find interesting is that tirerack states the tire is trailer specific, but when I look on the Kumho factory site, they state the tire is suitable for both light truck and trailer use. I would be more inclined to go by what the factory says, and not the retailer.
All indications are it is a good tire for our trailers, based on all the reading and research I have found. It's on my short list of three different tires, the others being the Maxxis 8008 and the Hankook RA08
Old 06-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #40

Registry
My Kumho tires are stamped "8 P.R." any idea what that means? Perhaps ply rating?
Closed Thread