Towing speeds and fuel economy. Scamp 13. - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #29

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
[...] We use a Honda Odyssey, generation before current one. Our Scamp will be lighter than yours, no air conditioner, water, or refrigerator. On our 3-4,000 mile trips we always average 17 1/2 mpg for the entire trip. Our last long trip was much better because somehow we missed headwinds both out and back. [...] Nancy
We are similar to Nancy. We have the same generation Honda Odyssey and a Scamp 13 with no AC, no water, not deluxe, but we do have a fridge. The 5 of us went 6000 miles last summer and averaged 17.8 mpg. We didn't bring the bikes or kayaks (which kill the aerodynamics), but we did have both the Scamp camping gear and the backpacking gear for 5 people. We had a good variety of conditions and went to CA and spent time in the mountains and national parks. Low was 14mpg and high was 21mpg (if you believe one tank of gas).

We also stay below 65. We average closer to 60mph.

I agree that speed, aerodynamics, and driving behavior (lead foot anyone?) all make a difference. One factor that matters I have not heard mentioned as often is running accessories such as the AC in the tow vehicle. It is a smaller but measurable difference.

Also, I have an Ultraguage on my Christmas list and am hopeful it appears . (Thanks to this forum for the idea!)

Old 12-08-2012, 05:58 PM   #30

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
65 mph is a good maximum to assume for ST tires. I hesitate to offer this, but, if you know what your tire loads are (and I mean down to the individual tire and not the axle average) and you have a 10 psi cushion (still within the tire's max) the industry does allow up to 75 mph. In other words, I know what my trailer weighs, to the tire, in traveling trim. With my tires I need only 40 psi to carry that load. By inflating to 50 psi (max for a C load range tire) I can feel comfortable to occasionally touch 75 mph.

I have a little load cushion even at 40 psi for minor load differences, trip to trip.

Old 12-08-2012, 06:23 PM   #31

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSteve View Post

The challenge is that if you're going long distances on the interstate, the slow speed makes the trip longer. (duh) The other challenges is that the slower the engine speed the more frequently it has to downshift for even a slight grade. So, at what speed do you all tow your 13' Scamps and similar size campers? Would be interested to hear your speeds and fuel economy, particularly if you tow with a Toyota Sienna or similar minivan with 3.5L size engines. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
"slow speed makes the trip longer. (duh)"

For the past 6 years I drove from Georgia to Colorado - about 1,450 miles - I do it in 2 days because there isn't anything I want to see in between. I set the cruse control to 60 mph.

When you are computing the time for the trip and the speed you need to consider

the number of stops

additional miles to get to gas station

fill up time

decelerating time loss to gas up

acceration time to get back up to speed.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #32

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I read someplace that it takes 3 times amount of energy to go from 25 mph to 55 mph, just hunk if we lowered the speed limit to 30 mph, the price of gas would drop also. Is there a need to get there in 1/2 the time?
Old 12-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #33

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
We used to tow our 14 foot dolphin with a 3.0 Dodge Grand Caravan. We can obtain 27 - 30 mpg on a Canadian gallon when not towing. With the trailer on and loaded, we average about 17-19 mpg. If we are silly enough to put methanol mixed gas in, our mileage has dropped as low as 12.7 mpg going across Nebraska with the trailer at 60-62 mph. With regular gas, after the next fillup, our mileage jumps back to 18 mpg. Even though the van has a flex fuel tag on it, it doesn't like methanol. Our new TV is a Dakota with the 4.7l Magnum, and when you ask the dealer about fuel economy, they just giggle.
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #34

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Im ok with 65mph lol and I can always do a higher temp/speed tire but when the roads are real hot it is wise to slow down some...I learned the hardway lol. Now for the retired folks that aren't in a hurry to get to their destination I am envious. But my trips are generally weekend or 3 days and the fun is being at the campsite with my friends so i like getting here as quick as I can to enjoy their company.

deryk
Old 12-08-2012, 08:12 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I found new tires. Maxxis ue-168 bravo tires. Lt235/75/15. 10 ply, good for 99 mph. Expensive as hell, but no worries.
Before you hit the road on those puppies...
I advise a second look at that tire's ratings->->-> Maxxis link

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #36

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Maxxis UE-168 speed rating - confirmed

Quote:
Maxxis ue-168 bravo tires. Lt235/75/15. 10 ply, good for 99 mph.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Before you hit the road on those puppies...
I advise a second look at that tire's ratings->->-> Maxxis link
Why the second look, Francesca? Although I don't see a "10-ply" LT235/75R15 in that list, the "8 ply" has a speed rating of "Q", which is the speed which Jared mentioned. Other sizes of "10-ply" are also mostly Q-rated. Only two sizes (nothing like Jared's) have a measly "N" (87 mph) rating; the rest are "P" through "R" (93 mph to 106 mph).

If Jared's new tires really are LT235/75R15 110Q (110 load index; 8-ply rating), they still have vastly more capacity than required for his Scamp (up to 2335 lb capacity each), and a 100 mph speed rating.

By the way, this list includes three sizes for 12" wheels, so Fiberstream owners can have tires with a decent speed rating... not that I'm encouraging anyone to drive faster.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #37

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
You're correct, it's 8 ply, not 10. They're still way over my speed and weight, doesn't change anything.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:46 PM   #38

Registry

Which 15 inch tire at the Maxxis 168 link has a speed rating over 65mph?

Francesca

P.S.:

FYI :
"Plys" is a rating, not an indicator of the number of layers. It only refers to the strength of the tire as would be achieved were the tire made up of bias plies as in the old days.

F.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:11 AM   #39

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:

Francesca

P.S.:

FYI :
"Plys" is a rating, not an indicator of the number of layers. It only refers to the strength of the tire as would be achieved were the tire made up of bias plies as in the old days.

F.
All of them, the lowest is 78mph.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:41 AM   #40

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:

As Jared said, all of them. These are not ST tires, so there is no assumed 65 mph limit. As with any other normal tire, the speed rating is specified for each size.

I thought that this was quite clear, but I suppose I didn't explain that the speed rating is the letter in the service description:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Only two sizes (nothing like Jared's) have a measly "N" (87 mph) rating; the rest are "P" through "R" (93 mph to 106 mph).

If Jared's new tires really are LT235/75R15 110Q (110 load index; 8-ply rating), they still have vastly more capacity than required for his Scamp (up to 2335 lb capacity each), and a 100 mph speed rating.
The letter in the index (such as "Q") is the speed index: I bolded it in the quote above. I provided the speeds corresponding to four of the letters; fuller lists are published by tire manufacturers and retailers. Today I used TireRack's How to Read Speed Rating, Load Index & Service Descriptions.

Unlike Passenger (P), Light Truck (LT) and Euro-metric tire designations, Special Trailer (ST) tire designations usually omit the service description, so there is no load or speed index given. The 65 mph rating is the default for ST (if no speed index is provided), but for other types the service description is always available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM   #41

Registry
Quote:
All of them, the lowest is 78mph.

You don't mean to tell me that "PSI" is not a speed limit number?

I can't believe I read that column that way not once, not twice, but three times.

Breakfast is served!

Francesca
Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #42

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSteve View Post
Thanks for the input. I agree with Byron, Norm and Ginny. Slow down and enjoy. It's a balance but I'm definitely on the page of being safe. While going too fast creates the opportunity for an accident, so does going too slow relative to the rest of traffic. I don't like to be more than about 10 MPH less than traffic, unless I'm on a steep hill with a truck lane.

Hey, that reminds me. How well do those ScanGages work? I'd love to know what my transmission temp is without having to install a gauge in one of the lines.
Towing a trailer gives you some latitude in driving a bit slower. Without the trailer in tow people are less forgiving.

Tags
scamp