Towing survey - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-11-2014, 10:51 AM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Well, they were popular when I got my drivers license, and I am quite young, so you must be too.
Yup thats how I look at it as well.

I do though get reminded occasionally as to how long ago that was when discussing music with my great nieces and nephews - mention 8 track and you get a blank look and a whats that?? but then again with the youngest ones I get that when I mention CD's as well.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #16

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
The first thing I ever towed was my first Trillium 4500, "Life Support". That was late in 2011. A total towing noob.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM   #17

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
.... not going to admit how long ago that was but will admit that 8 track players were still the must have gadget at the time :-)
I still have an 8-track player and several cases of tapes! I think Bread's "Baby I'm a Want You" is in the player now. We need to have an "Oldies" FG rally and groove to some 70's tunes the way they were meant to be played and heard before cassette tape players with rewind and fast-forward buttons took all the fun away! Music has just gone to pot since then....
Old 02-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Yup thats how I look at it as well.

I do though get reminded occasionally as to how long ago that was when discussing music with my great nieces and nephews - mention 8 track and you get a blank look and a whats that?? but then again with the youngest ones I get that when I mention CD's as well.
Yep, we are still "spring chickens", as my old Aunt Mary would say (she's 104 now). Some of my friends in high school were into 8-tracks, but I thought cassettes were better.

I guess I could have counted all those hours of pulling a disk in the field as 'towing'. Didn't think of that.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
The 1st trailer I ever towed was a tiny homemade pop-up tent trailer built to be towed behind a motorcycle. It was 1982 and I got it for road trips with my 1978 VW Beetle Convertible. I bought the 1971 Compact Jr. (the 1st time) in 2000 to tow with my 1991 Toyota Camry Station Wagon. I bought the 1978 Fiber Stream in 2004 and have always towed it with my 2003 Honda Odyssey.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I started in the 70s towing Hy Frames and Farm implements at a Summer Camp I went to and then worked at in the summers through High School and then many farm to farm deliveries of tractors and other stuff for a while too.

Then a hiatus I guess until I started dragging around Polo Ponies around here at first and then cross country shortly after. We drove 16 Ponies to Calgary once and many times down to S.Florida in big stock trailers,stopping midway in Atlanta to let the horses off for the night.

Then I got bitten by the Egg Bug and have owned 7 so far and drove more than that around too.

I have sold and delivered 3 Eggs a good distance too.

Good Times!

Mostly.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I started towing 4 wheel wagons and 2 wheel farm equipment around our farm starting in the late 50's. Never towed any big campers as we only own a pop-up, a teardrop, and the Uhaul, own a boat, and 6 different utility trailers. But I do have a CDL license so have drove tractor trailers pulling various trailers from 28' up to 50 footers.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #22

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Bought a horse in mid-80's, then a two horse trailer, then a couple of donkeys, then a mule. In between had to buy a 16 ft. Flat bed trailer to haul the hay. Then used trailer for several years to haul calves and sheep. Now I only haul my casita except when I need to haul garden tractor to get it fixed, then I borrow a 5x8 from a neighbor.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #23

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
P.S. I have been towed by horses, donkeys, mules, giant dogs, sheep, cows, calves, goats, and pigs. LOL.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #24

Name: marvonw
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Great Lakes area-US
Towing since mid 1980’s: Modified boat trailer equipped to haul a dozen bicycles; utility trailers; “monster” pop-up camper from the 70’ in the 90’s; Trillium 1300 since 2008.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
First towed a US Army 400 gallon water trailer (full) behind a 2 & 1/2 ton truck on and off road in the 1980's. Then in 1990's built a 8' x 4' cargo trailer from a kit to tow camping gear when tenting. Bought our Compact Jr in 2004 and towed with Nissan Maxima and 2003 Toyota Sienna. Bought our 17' Bigfoot in 2009 and tow with a 2006 Toyota Sienna.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #26

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I have a 2005 Prius and a 2002 Mazda Miata. Neither can tow anything - not even a bicycle (though the Miata had an optional luggage carrier). Guess I'll have to get rid of the Prius in order to buy a Nissan XTerra.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
I towed small boats and utility trailers since shortly after getting a drivers license in 1965. But I didn't get a travel trailer until I bought a 16' Scamp in 2003. I towed that with a Ford F-150. Partially due to this forum, I then bought and sold a 17' Casita and a couple of 21' Bigfoots. All these were towed with a Ford F-150, too. Then we couldn't resist a deal on a 25' Bigfoot and towed it the first year with the F-150. The half-ton Ford seemed to pull it just fine, but when it came time to replace the truck this year, I decided on a 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado. I haven't towed with it yet, but I expect it will have a more solid suspension for the weight of the 25. In an attempt to counter the guilt from all this bloat and sloth, we run around mainly in a Toyota Prius most of the time.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Started towing utility trailers in the late 60's and over the years I've towed all kinds of equiptment and had a class A commercial CA license for 20 years. After reading some of the comments about people having problems backing up, all it takes is practice. When you stop your forward travel your trailer should be at an angle ( broken at a different than the tug) to where you want it to go and the tug only has to chase it into position with hardly any steering wheel correction. 90 % of backing is set up before you have to back up.
I've got to pass on this story cuz it's funny. Years ago my family were set up in the parking lot of Seaworld in San Diego the night before a fundraiser event was to take place the next day. No more than six rigs in the whole lot at that time and I watched a guy try to park his 5th wheel between the lines. Not sure now how many times he went back and forth to get it right. Gave him time to set up but just had to ask him about why he had such a hard time spotting his trailer. Don't remember now after 20 years his answer but I gently mentioned to him that other than my rig there wasn't anyone around his reserved spot for a 1000' he could have made a wide circle and lined up on the lines and pulled in straight in and stop. The look on his face was priceless. Kind of reminded me of the old trucking song..."Give me fourty acres and I'll turn this rig around".
Sorry about the long post but I thought it may bring a chuckle to you.