Towing survey - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2014, 06:22 PM   #21

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I started towing 4 wheel wagons and 2 wheel farm equipment around our farm starting in the late 50's. Never towed any big campers as we only own a pop-up, a teardrop, and the Uhaul, own a boat, and 6 different utility trailers. But I do have a CDL license so have drove tractor trailers pulling various trailers from 28' up to 50 footers.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #22

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Bought a horse in mid-80's, then a two horse trailer, then a couple of donkeys, then a mule. In between had to buy a 16 ft. Flat bed trailer to haul the hay. Then used trailer for several years to haul calves and sheep. Now I only haul my casita except when I need to haul garden tractor to get it fixed, then I borrow a 5x8 from a neighbor.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #23

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
P.S. I have been towed by horses, donkeys, mules, giant dogs, sheep, cows, calves, goats, and pigs. LOL.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 13 ft
Towing since mid 1980’s: Modified boat trailer equipped to haul a dozen bicycles; utility trailers; “monster” pop-up camper from the 70’ in the 90’s; Trillium 1300 since 2008.
Marv Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
First towed a US Army 400 gallon water trailer (full) behind a 2 & 1/2 ton truck on and off road in the 1980's. Then in 1990's built a 8' x 4' cargo trailer from a kit to tow camping gear when tenting. Bought our Compact Jr in 2004 and towed with Nissan Maxima and 2003 Toyota Sienna. Bought our 17' Bigfoot in 2009 and tow with a 2006 Toyota Sienna.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #26

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I have a 2005 Prius and a 2002 Mazda Miata. Neither can tow anything - not even a bicycle (though the Miata had an optional luggage carrier). Guess I'll have to get rid of the Prius in order to buy a Nissan XTerra.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #27

Trailer: Bigfoot 21.5 ft (25B21RB)
I towed small boats and utility trailers since shortly after getting a drivers license in 1965. But I didn't get a travel trailer until I bought a 16' Scamp in 2003. I towed that with a Ford F-150. Partially due to this forum, I then bought and sold a 17' Casita and a couple of 21' Bigfoots. All these were towed with a Ford F-150, too. Then we couldn't resist a deal on a 25' Bigfoot and towed it the first year with the F-150. The half-ton Ford seemed to pull it just fine, but when it came time to replace the truck this year, I decided on a 3/4 ton Chevy Silverado. I haven't towed with it yet, but I expect it will have a more solid suspension for the weight of the 25. In an attempt to counter the guilt from all this bloat and sloth, we run around mainly in a Toyota Prius most of the time.
David and Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 04:12 AM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Started towing utility trailers in the late 60's and over the years I've towed all kinds of equiptment and had a class A commercial CA license for 20 years. After reading some of the comments about people having problems backing up, all it takes is practice. When you stop your forward travel your trailer should be at an angle ( broken at a different than the tug) to where you want it to go and the tug only has to chase it into position with hardly any steering wheel correction. 90 % of backing is set up before you have to back up.
I've got to pass on this story cuz it's funny. Years ago my family were set up in the parking lot of Seaworld in San Diego the night before a fundraiser event was to take place the next day. No more than six rigs in the whole lot at that time and I watched a guy try to park his 5th wheel between the lines. Not sure now how many times he went back and forth to get it right. Gave him time to set up but just had to ask him about why he had such a hard time spotting his trailer. Don't remember now after 20 years his answer but I gently mentioned to him that other than my rig there wasn't anyone around his reserved spot for a 1000' he could have made a wide circle and lined up on the lines and pulled in straight in and stop. The look on his face was priceless. Kind of reminded me of the old trucking song..."Give me fourty acres and I'll turn this rig around".
Sorry about the long post but I thought it may bring a chuckle to you.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:29 AM   #29
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
I have a 2005 Prius and a 2002 Mazda Miata. Neither can tow anything - not even a bicycle (though the Miata had an optional luggage carrier). Guess I'll have to get rid of the Prius in order to buy a Nissan XTerra.
There are many who are using the Prius for towing. Here is a hitch for a Miata...CURT® - Mazda Miata 1998-2005 Rear Trailer Hitch with Receiver Opening
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 07:38 AM   #30

Virginia
I had so many experienced people who were horrified that I wanted to tow with the Prius that I decided to go with an XTerra. This should generate many comments, but maybe I will start with the Prius, and get the XTerra if it doesn't work. Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:44 AM   #31
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
In Canada we start towing at a young age and work our way up.

Utility trailer behind a 77 Granada coupe. Made a custom receive (hidden behind a hinged licence plate. Car hauler. Coleman pop up, Airstream TT.
Attached Thumbnails
c0511.JPG  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:22 AM   #32

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hay rake and baler behind various tractors in high school days. Baling I was usually on the wagon. Dumped mess hall garbage from a utility trailer behind a 3/4ton and occasionally hooked on a deuce.5, R.V.N. 1970. Had to back to the edge of a pit; couldn't see the darn thing with bows and canvas on the trucks but I managed to avoid destroying the trailer or backing it over the edge of the pit. Night SOG did this chore every morning BEFORE breakfast. Compensation in that shake and bake NCOs didn't have to burn sh7t. Fishing boat and an old Lippincott Comet behind a couple of Toy Hilux trucks. Utility trailer behind a couple of 4runners. Only pulling this egg for about three yrs. I could have happily lived the remainder of my life without towing anything. Now I wish I could spend more time camping but don't find the accumulation of towing miles all that enticing.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM   #33

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
Ten years of truck driving I towed quite a variety of trailers and learned to back them up pretty good. As a local driver you may back up ten to fifteen times a day. Now ,retired, I love towing my Scamp 16'. I wish I could do it more but not just yet. Still getting used to being retired and a big change in income. All in due time.
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:16 AM   #34

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
There are many who are using the Prius for towing. Here is a hitch for a Miata...CURT® - Mazda Miata 1998-2005 Rear Trailer Hitch with Receiver Opening
As this thread is suppose to be about people sharing actual towing experience I would suggest that anyone interested in actual towing experience with a Miata contact user Dyanear via PM. Last time I heard from him he was looking for a used Subaru due to his white knuckle towing experience pulling a 13' Scamp with a Miata.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
There are many who are using the Prius for towing.
Most of them aren't towing much, or very far. And please do note that I said MOST of them... no need to post the exceptions-to-the-rule we've all seen before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
I had so many experienced people who were horrified that I wanted to tow with the Prius that I decided to go with an XTerra. This should generate many comments, but maybe I will start with the Prius, and get the XTerra if it doesn't work. Thanks for the encouragement!
Before committing yourself to the Prius as tow vehicle, Deborah, do consider the costs associated with making it do that job, which may be substantial in more ways than one. Overtowing with small vehicles attracts some people just because of the "look at me" factor, but it should be understood that there are risks involved if contemplating towing something as naturally heavy/awkward/wind resistant as a standup travel trailer.

In addition to cash expense of initial setup/car wear and tear, overtowing also requires a degree of focus that can make the experience less than relaxing, to put it mildly. Anecdotal evidence at this very site seems to indicate that even the most passionate users of smaller tow vehicles often move up in size to bigger tugs, perhaps because they're seeking more edge in the safety/ease-of-use department.

And for the most part, those are folks whose smaller tugs were towing within or very near mfr. stated limits, not with a vehicle like a Prius whose maker refuses to "authorize" the towing of any trailer at all with this vehicle.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #36

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16' 2012 Jeep Wrangler JK 4 Door
Lancaster County Pa
Registry
What happens when your out in the middle of nowhere and you have a problem with the Prius? You may find a mechanic but does he know how to work on a car like that ? He may say he does but two weeks later when your car is all over the floor of his garage, well I don't think you'll be very happy. Just my thoughts.
jgraps1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:43 AM   #37

Virginia
Francesca and Jeff - Thanks for your concern. Every time I see a post that people are towing with a Prius, I think "I'll be so much closer to buying my trailer". But then the anal engineer takes over, and I go back to buying an XTerra with 5000# capacity. It'll just be a little longer before I join everyone.
The Miata never was in play :-)
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #38

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraps1958 View Post
What happens when your out in the middle of nowhere and you have a problem with the Prius? You may find a mechanic but does he know how to work on a car like that ? He may say he does but two weeks later when your car is all over the floor of his garage, well I don't think you'll be very happy. Just my thoughts.
Heck, I had that happen with my 1996 GMC Savana. I am convinced that real mechanics are a dying breed.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #39

Virginia
I agree - they just look at the computer readout, and don't know how to fix a real mechanical problem.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #40

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I got my first horse trailer in....1993 I think. And a crappy used Suburban to pull it with. My horse at the time (who is now 28 years old!!) was a TERRIBLE passenger. He would fall down on turns and I'd feel the trailer and him lurching around behind me. It was a pretty horrifying maiden voyage, and he never got any better. That damn horse would get off the trailer at our destination like nothing bad had happened, and he'd never hesitate to hop right back on. I once rode with him, obviously with somebody else driving to try to figure out exactly what his deal was. The only thing I was able to conclude is that he just couldn't be bothered to make the effort to stay upright. Well, at least he didn't freak himself out by falling and he never hurt himself. Weird.

I much prefer the quieter ride of the Burro these days.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote