Towing survey - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #43
Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Scamp 5th Wheel
Pensacola Florida
Been towing 54 years. Largest was a 40ft 1952 Spartan trailer. Currently towing a 20ft pontoon and a Scamp 5erplussmall utility trlr.

Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #44
Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Started driving semi when I was 13, pulled everything from large pintle hitch equipment trailers to goosenecks to fifth wheels. The scamp is gravy.

Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #45
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Been towing something before I could drive, mostly articulated farm trailers, then small boats and now 1994 Scamp with a 2014 Subaru Outback, previously a 1996 Subaru AWD wagon.
Tows very nicely.
Chris graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #46
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Amazing Lady!

I was just 17 and had my driver's license less than 6 months. We were headed to Florida from Maryland for spring vacation, as usual, driving a 1976 Olds Cutlass wagon with a 350 V8 and all six of us on board, pulling a large 1971 Skamper tent trailer. Dad had recently lost the ability to drive due to an illness, so Mom and I took turns. It was awesome! There were a few white-knuckle moments in city traffic trying to change lanes (fender-mounted trailering mirrors that vibrate constantly - remember those?), but we made it down and back without incident. Can't believe now they let me do it!

Dad's been gone almost 30 years now, but Mom is 87 and, as I write this, touring Florida by herself in her brand-new Roadtrek class B. Quite a lady!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:24 PM   #47
Name: Blaine
Trailer: 16ft scamp camper
been towing almost 45 years, semis , boats , all size campers ,trailers with race cars to wrecked aircraft, now slowing down to just a truck to pull the bobcat front end loader and a car to pull my scamp camper, also with the old school fender-mounted vibrating mirrors, (got a fix in the works for that) still would do it all over again
Pinto-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:04 PM   #48
Name: Denise
Trailer: Hunter Compact Junior
I've been towing all sorts of things for 30 years, mostly a 4 horse slant load gooseneck trailer. With our new (1974) Hunter Compact Jr II, THAT SCARES ME. Its all over the road; we had to stop at Walmart to purchase 4 cases of water to weigh down the front and put everything inside up front. I've never had a trailer sway so badly before so while I'm redoing the inside I'll be putting most of the storage up front.
DeniseBrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:24 AM   #49
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
Yup Denise, you've got to watch the tounge weight for sure. Side loading can also make a difference but probably not a real concern with an egg. From a poster in the near past he talked about the axle weight side to side on a SD17 which I have. 200 lbs more on the right side because of the refer and such. He had extra tire wear to the right. I haven't had any problems yet with tires but I do think of how I load things inside, side to side and front to back to keep the numbers in the good zone. Glad you got it squared away for a safe trip.
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:19 AM   #50
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Originally Posted by Pinto-One View Post
a car to pull my scamp camper, also with the old school fender-mounted vibrating mirrors, (got a fix in the works for that) still would do it all over again
Blaine, did you resolve the fender mount mirror problem? Most of us here that are using cars found that the McKesh mirrors are easy on, easy off and work great.
Attached Thumbnails
Mirrors on G35.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 AM   #51
Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
About 25 years for me. First it was a boat (followed by many more over the years), then various utility trailers, and a few years ago started towing travel trailer, first a Sunline Sunspot, then a Sunline T-1550, and as of last October, a ParkLiner!

Right now I have a boat on a heavy duty trailer (3500# axle, brakes and all), a small utility trailer we keep our Honda ATV on (that I intend to sell as a package this summer), and then 5 old boat trailers I'm renovating for sale. I may keep one as a utility trailer, but may just go out and buy a new heavy duty (3500# axle) one. We'll see.

Trailer on!

2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd Escape 2L Ecoboost with 3500# tow package
2001 F-150 XLT 4wd Super Cab 4.6L
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote