Towing tank range - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2016, 11:06 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
I guess what I'm looking for (which may not be possible due to variations in vehicles and trailers) is reasonable assurance I can get get 300 miles out of a tank on a modern gasoline F150 (or whatever is recommended to pull a Oliver Elite II or Escape 21 footer)? For whatever reason, under 300 miles on roads that aren't going over mountains seems like it would get to be a pain for my personal preference. Thanks!
While on paper I should be able to get 300 miles from the RAV4/Escape17B combination (15 gallon tank & 15MPH) the reality is that like others, I look for fuel when down to half a tank. I would not be comfortable getting under 1/4 in most parts of the country since I avoid interstates, and some of the secondary roads have long distances between services. That ends up more like 150 - 200 miles per fill up, by which time I want to stop for a coffee refill (and a Jon empty!)

For those that are concerned, it was more of a problem in Wyoming than the Alaskan highway...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:02 PM   #22

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Motorhome versus trailer

We had a 32 foot 1997 Bounder that we drove about 100,000 miles. It averaged 7.5 mpg and had a 90 gallon tank, giving us a range of about 600 miles.

We now tow with a Honda Odyssey our Scamp 16. Depending on wind, roads we choose, .... we've averaged between 18 and 21 mpg over about 15,000 miles towing giving us 360 to 400 miles with our 21 gallon tank. Not towing drivin simple something like the Trans Canada we can average 30-35 mpg and approach 600-7000 miles per tank.

We typically only tow for 150 miles a day and by habit we fill up every day.

The Honda is a lot more fuel efficient (in a per mile sense) the reality is that when making an 8 month loop of the USA the motor home only used about 1000 gallons of gas, really at $2 per gallon less than $300 a month.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My RAV4 fuel gauge accelerates when it hits half full, racing toward empty. I too start to get nervous.
Old 05-13-2016, 02:33 PM   #24

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
MPG is dropping a little bit when you fill up half full, you always carry extra gasoline weight.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Dodge Ram hemi with 8 speed pulling Escape 21 weighing 4300# average 13-14 mpg...
Old 05-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #26

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
My little Toyota motorhome had only a 12 gallon tank, and the gas gauge was broken. Worked on full, but at about 3/4 of a tank, it would drop to empty. I just watched the mileage. At 150 miles I'd start looking for a gas station. It's rare you can't fine one. On those rare occasions, I relied on my 5 gallon gas can on my back bumper.

My current truck/trailer combo tends to go 200 miles before I need gas. Typically the gas light hasn't come on yet, but I'm about on E. That's with a 16 gallon tank.

I understand that you want what you want, but 200 is plenty for me. As others have said, after 200 miles, (around 3 hours of driving), it's about time for a break!

Some vehicles have an easy option of adding a larger gas tank. All vehicles, especially pickup trucks, can have a larger tank installed with different levels of difficulty.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:44 PM   #27

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
A trusted mechanic gave me some advice that makes perfect sense to me. The more you run your fuel supply down to the point the fuel light comes on, the more likely you will require an expensive fuel pump replacement. The gasoline in the tank cools and lubricates the pump and makes it last longer. I do my best to never let the available supply get below 1/4 tank.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:59 PM   #28

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I'm bad about that, even though I know it's true...I just want to squeeze what I can out of the tank!

Even the owners manual says to try not to let it get below 1/4 tank.

It is an annoying job, since the pump is in the gas tank. You have to drop to the gas tank to get at it. On most of my old trucks it was a mechanical pump up on the cylinder head, so it wasn't a big deal. But yeah, the in-tank pumps like to be submerged in gas.

Older (and maybe newer? I don't know) Subarus had a little hatch, inside the vehicle, under the carpeting, that gave you access to the top of the gas tank, and the fuel pump. But making vehicles easy for anyone to service isn't something that really happens anymore...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:26 PM   #29

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I know for my truck , that when the gas gauge shows empty and the low fuel alarm goes off there is still 6 gallons of fuel left in my tank.
The most fuel I could get in my 32 gallon tank when it is down on E is about 25.5 gallons. The vehicle is designed this way to insure that the pump is submerged in gas and you don't run the tank dry.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:28 AM   #30

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I know for my truck , that when the gas gauge shows empty and the low fuel alarm goes off there is still 6 gallons of fuel left in my tank.
The most fuel I could get in my 32 gallon tank when it is down on E is about 25.5 gallons. The vehicle is designed this way to insure that the pump is submerged in gas and you don't run the tank dry.
It's a rare event... when our tank reaches E the yellow warning light comes on. Also miles remaining indicator goes to zero. Before zero appears, Ginny's letting me know we need gas.

When the yellow light comes on we have 3 gallons left.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #31

Name: Randy
Trailer: In the Market
Oregon
Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Since the mileage varies with speed , terrain and wind direction , it's hard to calculate how many miles you can get out of a tank.
We were crossing Canada and we left with a full tank of fuel (26 Gallons ) . The next gas station we discovered was about 330 miles down the road.. My tank was on EMPTY so I had no choice but to fuel up . Gasoline was over $6 / Gal US . He knew he was the only station in the area and charged accordingly.. We have run into the same situation when fishing in Northern Canada. Gas has been as high as $8 / gallon. Now with the larger 32 gallon tank plus a 5 gallon kicker we can make it up to our fishing spot and back without refueling or worry. It's hard to price shop for fuel when the closest / only gas station is 150 miles away
Carry external tanks like int he old days! Does the Gas Buddy app work in Canada? That is one app I use allot to find the best prices and where the gas stations are.
Randy B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B. View Post
Carry external tanks like int he old days! Does the Gas Buddy app work in Canada? That is one app I use allot to find the best prices and where the gas stations are.
I would rather have a bigger onboard fuel tank than mess around with carrying 5 gallon cans of fuel. ( Like "The Good Old Days"
In many parts of America and Canada the best price is irrelevant
You either pay the price or you end your journey.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #33

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Does the Gas Buddy app work in Canada?.
Yes it does. But by US standards the best deal is still WAY more than what you would pay.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 PM   #34

Florida
Quote:
There's very little hunting for the best price for gas. The minimum price of gas seems to be set virtually province wide except when you get really out there where it jumps up and their are no choices.

Yes Gas Buddy works for Canada

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-14-2016, 01:00 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
There's very little hunting for the best price for gas. The minimum price of gas seems to be set virtually province wide except when you get really out there where it jumps up and their are no choices.

Hummm.... that may be the case were you have traveling in the Maritmes in Canada were they have a captive users so to speak and a fairly low populating. But it is not the case else where in the country.

Gas prices vary widely from Province to Province (due to various provincial tax levels or no tax levels which are built into the price of fuel). For example the difference in gas prices between Alberta and BC for example is about 20 cents per litre currently. Also varies widely from district to district within a 100 mile area. Again it depends on how much of a transit tax your area has built into the price of fuel. The more public transit in the area you are the higher the built in transit tax. So you will ways pay more in a city vs the county. For example I can get a litre of gas for about 5 cents less by driving 40 miles out of my area & 10 cents less if I drive 100 miles.

Not to mention it is not uncommon for prices to vary from one gas station to another within a 4 mile radius with in the city by as much 5 cents a litre.

So yes even in Canada Gas Buddy is your Buddy.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #36

Florida
Carol,

I agree that prices vary between provinces just as they do between states however within a province they are pretty constant except when you get out, like when driving across Labrador or some far out outpost.

Of all the provinces BC has the highest prices even more than the Northwest Territories.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Carol,

I agree that prices vary between provinces just as they do between states however within a province they are pretty constant except when you get out, like when driving across Labrador or some far out outpost.

As indicated my personal experience having lived in the country for some time the prices within 30 miles can vary greatly within a province, as much as 15-20 cents a litre. Its the same in just about every province I have been in and I have been in more than a few a few times ;-)

For example if I know I am heading out to the valley which is just a 35 min drive from my home I will not gas up here before leaving if I do not have to as the prices are far less. As much as 20 cents a litre less.

Even within a busy urban area or city the prices can vary by up to 5 cents a litre from gas station to gas station within blocks of each other. Thats a difference of almost 18 cents a US gallon within the City - making Gas Buddy a worth while app to have even here in Canada.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #38

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
It's a rare event... when our tank reaches E the yellow warning light comes on. Also miles remaining indicator goes to zero. Before zero appears, Ginny's letting me know we need gas.

When the yellow light comes on we have 3 gallons left.
My wife, Sherry, chimes when we need gas, too. Redundant systems can be good. Do you suppose Ginny and Sherry were designed by the same manufacturer?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 05:48 PM   #39

Florida
Our experiences are just that and both may be true. I just checked stops all g the way across NL and the price varies around the average by 5 cents a gallon however with any city it varies by about a penny a liter. Hardly worth traveling for in my opinion or even being conscious about.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-14-2016, 08:35 PM   #40

Registry
Quote:
Our experiences are just that and both may be true. I just checked stops all g the way across NL and the price varies around the average by 5 cents a gallon however with any city it varies by about a penny a liter. Hardly worth traveling for in my opinion or even being conscious about.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
I have no doubt that was your experience as Newfoundland as it is one of our Maritime Provinces and its an Island (high cost of getting the gas to it) and it has a very small population. As indicated should you find yourself traveling in more populated areas and provinces you will find price differences even within the same area/city

An Example - For the city of Calgary and province of Alberta At that link you can check pretty well any Province and or individual city to compare.