Towing tank range - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Bryce
Trailer: Currently Browsing
Connecticut
Towing tank range

Hello,

While listening to this very thought out Motorhome vs. TT video, he brought up the poor tank range of a TT tow vehicle:

).

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2016, 06:20 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I get asked quite a bit about fuel mileage when towing Ten Forward. (I'm driving a 2014 Ford F-150 w/Ecoboost.) I always say... 3 mpg going uphill and 33 mpg going downhill Last year, I averaged 16-17 mpg towing from Portland, OR to Quincy, CA for the NorCAL rally... and that was going over the Siskiyou pass both ways! BTW: I average about 21-23 mpg non-towing and couldn't be happier truly. My old 2000 Ford F-150 towing the Scamp got really crappy mileage and it didn't improve much non-towing.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:43 PM   #3

Connecticut
Hi Donna,

For the 2014 F150, I see a 26 (4 x 2) or 36 (4 x 4) gallon tank size. So figure you can go 384 - 408 (26gal tank) or 544 - 578 (36gal tank) miles getting 16 - 17 mpg until you need to start looking for a fillup with 2 gal left? Thx.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/...Guide_F150.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I get asked quite a bit about fuel mileage when towing Ten Forward. (I'm driving a 2014 Ford F-150 w/Ecoboost.) I always say... 3 mpg going uphill and 33 mpg going downhill Last year, I averaged 16-17 mpg towing from Portland, OR to Quincy, CA for the NorCAL rally... and that was going over the Siskiyou pass both ways! BTW: I average about 21-23 mpg non-towing and couldn't be happier truly. My old 2000 Ford F-150 towing the Scamp got really crappy mileage and it didn't improve much non-towing.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Yep, my truck is a 4x4... big ole fuel tank. Not bad to fill when low on fuel and it costs around $2 a gallon. But oh my stars when that fuel hits close to $4 a gallon.... better get out a 100 dollar bill... plus!

I didn't need or want the 4x4 (it's more expensive to insure!). Would have been perfectly happy with a 4x2... but couldn't find one in white! You know... it's all about the visual
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:53 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
Tank size has been my most negative point with the combination of my Escape 17B & a RAV4. While I love the high mileage after dropping the trailer and great towing qualities, the 15 gallon tank, combined with a 15MPG average when towing does cause some pucker factor, particularly with the combination of long distances between fuel stops & headwinds in the west. There were times I was down to 8MPG...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I fuel up at about half tank. I need the "get out and stretch" time. I think the tank on my Ram is about 30 gallons.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yep, my truck is a 4x4... big ole fuel tank. Not bad to fill when low on fuel and it costs around $2 a gallon. But oh my stars when that fuel hits close to $4 a gallon.... better get out a 100 dollar bill... plus!
Donna you have no idea how good you have it down south!!

I was paying more than a $100 to fill up my old Subaru 4 years ago! The truck .... well it is what it is..
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:10 PM   #8

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I fuel up at about half tank. I need the "get out and stretch" time. I think the tank on my Ram is about 30 gallons.
26 gallon standard Ram fuel tank -- 32 gallon optional larger Ram fuel tank.
Crossing Canada the 26 gallon tank was a problem , now with the 32 gallon tank in my truck , a slightly smaller problem.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

Connecticut
How many miles were you able to go comfortably? What were the longest stretches you encountered? What the longest stretch you've encountered period? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
26 gallon standard Ram fuel tank -- 32 gallon optional larger Ram fuel tank.
Crossing Canada the 26 gallon tank was a problem , now with the 32 gallon tank in my truck , a slightly smaller problem.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:47 PM   #10

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bster13 View Post
How many miles were you able to go comfortably? What were the longest stretches you encountered? What the longest stretch you've encountered period? Thanks!
Since the mileage varies with speed , terrain and wind direction , it's hard to calculate how many miles you can get out of a tank.
We were crossing Canada and we left with a full tank of fuel (26 Gallons ) . The next gas station we discovered was about 330 miles down the road.. My tank was on EMPTY so I had no choice but to fuel up . Gasoline was over $6 / Gal US . He knew he was the only station in the area and charged accordingly.. We have run into the same situation when fishing in Northern Canada. Gas has been as high as $8 / gallon. Now with the larger 32 gallon tank plus a 5 gallon kicker we can make it up to our fishing spot and back without refuelling or worry. It's hard to price shop for fuel when the closest / only gas station is 150 miles away
Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #11

Connecticut
I guess what I'm looking for (which may not be possible due to variations in vehicles and trailers) is reasonable assurance I can get get 300 miles out of a tank on a modern gasoline F150 (or whatever is recommended to pull a Oliver Elite II or Escape 21 footer)? For whatever reason, under 300 miles on roads that aren't going over mountains seems like it would get to be a pain for my personal preference. Thanks!
Old 05-12-2016, 09:15 PM   #12

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It's hard to price shop for fuel when the closest / only gas station is 150 miles away
Just curious. So should a gas station in the middle of nowhere, that has to pay extra for transportation of fuel and who isn't able to do the volume of an urban station, has to pay more for the smaller amount of fuel it buys - should they charge you less than it costs them to provide the service?
Just asking. <_<
Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 PM   #13

None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just curious. So should a gas station in the middle of nowhere, that has to pay extra for transportation of fuel and who isn't able to do the volume of an urban station, has to pay more for the smaller amount of fuel it buys - should they charge you less than it costs them to provide the service?
Just asking. <_<
"NO"
Old 05-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #14

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
2013 GMC Sierra 1500 towing an Oliver Elite II weighing 5800 lbs from Pittsburgh to New Hampshire ave 12.3mpg normal highway speeds, although I do have a light foot. Normal mileage for the truck is 18mpg. 26 gallon stock tank.