Towing thought - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
"The conversation got me thinking about our tow vehicle. I told them that we only averaged towing 30 miles a day over that period and never traveled more than 150 miles in a day."

Can't wait until I can retire and live at such a leisurely pace. I live in Vegas and the family is in Spokane 1150 miles away. I have driven it straight through many many times over the past 15 years.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ray, we work to never have a line of traffic behind us, partially the mountain passes we're on have very little traffic and in general we can keep up with most traffic and have passed big trucks, usually pulling rigs with slideouts bigger than our trailer.

If we're on a two lane road, like Oregon's coastal road and are driving the speed limit, we pull over to let others pass, particularly working vehicles.

Practically anywhere we drive we can maintain the speed limit, on Interstates, with their multiple lanes, we choose not to drive at 70. I guess since I've aged and become an RVer I've calmed down a lot. I try to be courteous to the other drivers who have a 'faster' need than me.

As well Ginny and I feel so very fortunate to have the life we do. Of course may places we drive, by the nature of the road, terrain or even the view, we tend to drive slowly. I will say in our next destination the traffic is light, another glory of Newfoundland...trails to hike where the only other creature on the trail might be a moose.

We can't wait to leave for this trip..... now the cost of gas in Nfld will be another matter.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL thats the big difference between BC and Ontario - you have the Ontario Provincial Police we still have the RCMP.
I haven't noticed a difference correlated to enforcement agency, other than the occasional ticket-funded municipality. On Alberta's major highways outside of the National Parks, which have both RCMP and a few Alberta Traffic Sherriffs on speed patrol duty, nothing less than 15 km/h (10 mph) over the 100 or 110 km/h (62 or 68 mph) limit gets a ticket; BC highways usually have lower limits, but seem to have a similar enforcement tolerance.

That means limit enforcement is not directly relevant to most of us towing on those roads, but it does affect the speed of surrounding traffic. Highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary sees little traffic under 115 km/h (71 mph), and much of that is big commercial rigs and RVs... who can happily run down the right lane on that road without holding up the rest of the traffic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve, When much younger we would drive from CT to Sc at now frightening speeds. In retrospect I'm happy to be able to say it, that nothing negative ever happed, particularly considering that vehicles, tires and brakes wer much less capable than today's.

We really like Spokane and have spent time camping by their river and walking their streets. Really a charming city.

If I had ever known how good the Rv life was I would have retired even earlier. The life of leisure, of exploration, of becoming broader has just been marvelous.

Wishing you a good retirement life....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I understand your viewpoint, however...that is the main reason I give our last tow vehicle to our son and bought a new, more powerful one. I might be overly sensitive, but I don't like having a string of traffic backed up behind me while going up a hill or mountain. Now, I can keep up with the flow of traffic and not feel like I'm a nuisance to others. This isn't a problem with four-lane roads where I can stay in the right lane and not block traffic, but now I can feel good about taking the more scenic two-lane byways.
You're not going to enjoy the "scenic two lane byways" at 20 over the limit, which is about what it takes to avoid being overtaken by traffic!
I have never towed on any road on which my 4CYL TV couldn't break the speed limit.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Floyd, Ray has a 17 ft Egg Camper. I'll bet he was wise to upgrade whatever he had. another reason to love our little 13s.

Nancy
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #21

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Originally Posted by Carol H
LOL thats the big difference between BC and Ontario - you have the Ontario Provincial Police we still have the RCMP.

[QUOTE=Brian B-P;368878]I haven't noticed a difference correlated to enforcement agency, other than the occasional ticket-funded municipality. On Alberta's major highways outside of the National Parks, which have both RCMP and a few Alberta Traffic Sherriffs on speed patrol duty, nothing less than 15 km/h (10 mph) over the 100 or 110 km/h (62 or 68 mph) limit gets a ticket; BC highways usually have lower limits, but seem to have a similar enforcement tolerance. [QUOTE=Brian B-P;368878]

Brian my comment re the RCMP vs Ontario Provincial was made tongue in cheek but 10 km/h over the limit is commonly the BC tolerance level.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 PM   #22

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
I refer to 10 km/h over the speed limit as legal speeding. I have passed, unharmed, through many radar traps while legal speeding.
One of my coworkers recently got a 7 km/h over the speed limit ticket though. The officer in questions was probably was nearly out of time on his quota.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #23

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I refer to 10 km/h over the speed limit as legal speeding. I have passed, unharmed, through many radar traps while legal speeding.
One of my coworkers recently got a 7 km/h over the speed limit ticket though. The officer in questions was probably was nearly out of time on his quota.
Yup its a bit of a crap shoot but under 10 km/h over and you will normally slide by here as well but then again have seen folks pulled for less many times.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:31 PM   #24

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I have a friend who was a traffic cop (still a cop, just moved on), and he said they always set their photo cameras for 13 kph over the speed limit, except in school and playground zones.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #25

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower than you is an idiot.

(Not aimed at anyone in particular, just at us all as humans.)
Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Now that is funny, true, but funny!!
Old 03-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #27

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
Anyone driving faster than you is a maniac and anyone driving slower than you is an idiot.

(Not aimed at anyone in particular, just at us all as humans.)
I agree 100% lol

I guess for the retired folks who can just travel taking it slower is a good thing. Unfortunatly, when doing a 300+ mile trip each way for a 3 day weekend, my fun times really start when I get there after driving 5+ hours...just want that part over. Going home, I usually drive a little slower.

Now Ive only towed my ParkLiner twice so far. Once from Virginia to south Jersey, and from south Jersey to central Jersey to my parents driveway but During the Virginia trek I realized if I keep my speed to around 60mph I get about 16mpg, at 70 Im getting lik 13.5mpg. So 60 it is! Being cheap wins!

deryk
Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #28

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

Mileage and reliability are primary on our list of Trailer/tow vehicle.

Exactly why I tow with a 3/4 ton diesel that gets 20-21 mpg towing the Casita and doesn't know a trailer is even back there. Nothing comes close to being stressed on the tow vehicle and in an emergency it will run 75-80mph up or down a hill (legal here in West Texas).

Also out here in West Texas, 150miles barely gets you to the next turn off. We have to cover a lot of miles to go anywhere. We have gone 150 miles for lunch (Abilene or Van Horn). I can't wait for the day that I can drive less than 150 miles and actually be somplace! Little different needs down here..

2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote