Towing thought - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #43
Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette
Your observation is spot on. Trailer ahead, gotta pass it. Volkswagen buses invoke the same responses. I just returned from a 2 week pull from San Diego to Portland OR and back towing the 16' Scamp with my Jeep Wrangler 3200 miles. I was driving at comfortable towing speeds, but cars frequently built up behind me. I would always use the first available turn out, but it required some hairy braking and balancing the rig off the shoulder at times, then having to restart without great rearward visibility. I did hundreds of those during this trip. If the jeep had a V8 I would have still had to pull over to let them by, but I could have restarted with safer acceleration. I don't think my driving speeds would have been much different with more power though, except pulling grades and accelerating off of corners. The fuel mileage would have been comparable I think. We drove many 2 lane forested roads during the trip avoiding freeways when possible. The Jeep wasn't ideal for such a long pull as I was having to constantly "drive" it due to the short wheelbase and tall soft suspension. I would get tired after 4 or 5 hours at the wheel. I think a full sized truck would have been less tiring and just as economical on fuel. Our typical travel is short trips close to home, so the Jeep works well and the 13 MPG is not so bad. The Jeep comes in handy at those 28' long campsites too!

ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:37 PM   #44
Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream owner
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
Regarding highway tow speeds, you can never have enough of that to foil the universal reaction most other drivers have: "There's a trailer up ahead, better pass it."
That is so true!

MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:26 AM   #45
Name: Rene
Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
British Columbia
What I find interesting about Norm and Ginny's experiences is that they came into the small size of their vehicles from much larger ones like a motorhome. This really does show how their are some unbeatable advantages to going small. I am envious of the time they have to take it slow as far as miles driven. I like to stay put for at least a couple of days if I have to drive for a day to get there. Unfortunately I have long distances to contend with to get anywhere and only weekends and couple weeks of holidays per year to do it! Planning to semi-retire by the time I am 55 so I can snowbird.

I agree with the observations of traffic while towing. I don't hold up traffic anymore with the diesel but still people are driven to pass when they can on two lane roads.
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:18 AM   #46
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16

It's interesting that a good part of successful living is recognizing opportunity.

We were very happy in our motorhome until we reached the end of the paved road in Labrador, seeing the dirt road across Labrador resulted in the purchase of a 25 year old Sunline, only for a two month trip across that road.

We choose the Sunline because I felt it could be towed by our motorhome's tow vehicle, our 2004 Honda CRV.

Shocking to us we loved that little trailer and our new traveling style. We did the 2 month Labrador trip and actually went on for 8 more months that year, completing a loop of the USA.

'Traveling small' is fun and does offer additional possibilities. First, it is very cost effective. Small trailers, small tow vehicles cost less to own and to operate. It's amazing that our 22 year old Scamp 16 performs as well as the day it was built and without a doubt is more functional.
Second, it can go places that the motorhome could never go, from Dunkin Donuts to the Trans Labrador Highway.

Like you, we like to stay put as well. In our travels, we average abut 30 miles a day towing. We don't plan too far ahead and rarely make reservations. We stop early, check out the area and average 3-5 days at each location. (Of course our first day is usually longer, sometimes more than 200 miles to escape the northeast.)

W. just returned from a funeral of a 66 year old relative who died suddenly, It once again reminded us there is no guarantee on the length of yor life. I was fortunate in a sense when my college roommmate died at 58. It gave me the freedom to quit working, again recognizing the shortness of life.

My revered mother-in-law told me that the golden years were not so golden. I think her message was 'enjoy every day', not so much buy an RV and hit the road. As much as I try to enjoy each day, being on the road, escaping the 'turmoil' of home, is so relaxing. It's not that being home is bad, I do have a wonderful extended family, but being on the road is wonderful, physically and mentally.

Personally I feel the traffic thing is overblown, the need to charge up hills, to stay ahead of the competition. In reality most of the places we try to travel have little traffic. Returning from Newfoundland last week we only saw significant traffic traveling thru southern Maine, a trivial protion of the almost 7,000 miles we drove.

Our rule of pulling over for the more speedy extends beyond our towing time, we do the same thing when we're out exploring with our Honda. We do recognize that many people have reasons to be in a hurry and are more than willing to accomodate their rush.

Though we have a small 4 cylinder tow vehicle, as suggested earlier in this thread, there are plenty of people who want to pass you no matter how powerful your tow vehicle may be. On the Trans Canada across NL the speed lmit was typically 100 Km/hr, we typically drove at 100 yet were blasted by continually by the low density traffic.

To me the key comment about RVing is it is a wonderful opportunity to increase one's enjoyment of life. There is so much in the world to discover, to tickle one's imagination, to continue to experience and to gain knowledge.

We have never regretted the amount of money we might have earned or the things we might have bought had we worked thru our prime earning years.

We truly love our road life.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 AM   #47
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Thanks for all the info on "Tow modes". We are about to switch lanes from the vacation (Left lane) to the retired (Right lane). I always get a chuckle out of seeing the same cars pass us over and over again as we tug along.
Our trip to Tenn. and S.C. netted 19.25 mpg towing the 5.0. Not bad for our big V6.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #48
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Alf, Welcome to the retired.

Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote