Towing thought - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Towing thought

Yesterday we had company and like most people were surprised by the size of our trailer ("though it looked larger on the inside" and "you sleep there?" and lastly "you're both alive after 315 straight days".)

Of course our "small compared to everything in the park" tow vehicle/trailer and "what size engine" does it have.

The conversation got me thinking about our tow vehicle. I told them that we only averaged towing 30 miles a day over that period and never traveled more than 150 miles in a day.

With that in mind it was clear to me why we don't need a large powerful tow vehicle. We have no need to charge up the mountain at high speed or to cover long distances. The reality is that the RV lifestyle of a nearly full time tow/vehicle and trailer is different than a non-fulltimer.

Mileage and reliability are primary on our list of Trailer/tow vehicle.

Just an opinion/thought.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
This muse has been brought to by Norm!!
It's always good to hear from you, Norm.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
If you are retired, this certainly is a great way to go. I sure hope to be there soon, so I can adopt a travel pattern more like yours.

The reality of working and wanting to see things a fair distance from home, given a limited time to do it in, lends to much longer travel days. !,000 km a day when heading to a remote place is not uncommon for us. With my limited time, I like to blast to a spot, then sit there for many days on end. Some day I will have the time to stop more and smell the flowers along the way.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
The reality is that the RV lifestyle of a nearly full time tow/vehicle and trailer is different than a non-fulltimer.

Mileage and reliability are primary on our list of Trailer/tow vehicle.

Just an opinion/thought.
Full time or not, being retired with no schedule has to be part of the equation. We tend to meander sort of in that direction with a destination kind of in mind. Quite different than when we were working. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I thought I finally arrived when I retired, but it was short lived when I decided to be my mother's caregiver. Now I have to make "arrangements" before leaving and my trips are usually limited to 9 days or less. So, my point being, do not wait until tomorrow to enjoy, as tomorrow may not arrive when you want it. Enjoy today what you hope for tomorrow, particularly if you have elderly loved ones.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Norm... I would bet your rig goes 100KPH just as fast a big V8 towing the same trailer at 100KPH.

I like your rig.

Happy Trails to ya.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Deep Thoughts – Jack Handey style;

Towing is work. Having a über fuel efficient tow vehicle doesn’t change the work you have to do, just how fast you do it.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL MCI I suspect a lot of people dont realize how limited our speed is in Canada towing or not. So having a 4 cyl vs an V8 isnt going to get you there any faster if you wish to arrive at destination without a pocket full of very expensive speeding tickets. Yes mountain ranges such as the Rockies might slow the 4 cyl down a bit more but the truth is having pulled through such ranges even the big V8 drivers towing tend to slow it right down in those mountain ranges and not uncommon at all to see many of them pull over and give their trucks a break part way though the passes as well.

Most provinces max out at 110 km/h (68 mph) & others at 100 km/h (62 mph) & a number of provinces have a lower towing speed limit than the max posted. The higher limits mentioned are mostly only found on 4 or 6 lane divided freeways outside of urban areas and the truth be known considering how big the country is we really dont have a lot of miles of those types of highways. 90 km/h (55 mph) is a more common max limit on many of our highways.

So those wishing to tow at a leisurely pace and haven't retired yet you just need to spend more time traveling in Canada. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Good info Carol. In these parts 100 is the common limit. Most cars do 120 and the coppers don't bother them. When towing on the expressways we are in the comfy zone at 100. Also enjoy a slower pace on the secondary roads.
Attached Thumbnails
100 129-2965_IMG.JPG  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We have no need to charge up the mountain at high speed ...
I understand your viewpoint, however...that is the main reason I give our last tow vehicle to our son and bought a new, more powerful one. I might be overly sensitive, but I don't like having a string of traffic backed up behind me while going up a hill or mountain. Now, I can keep up with the flow of traffic and not feel like I'm a nuisance to others. This isn't a problem with four-lane roads where I can stay in the right lane and not block traffic, but now I can feel good about taking the more scenic two-lane byways.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
In these parts 100 is the common limit. Most cars do 120 and the coppers don't bother them.
LOL thats the big difference between BC and Ontario - you have the Ontario Provincial Police we still have the RCMP. Maybe the boys in blue in Ontario know the tax payers could kick up a fuss if they are to heavy handed and they can easily be replaced Here the RCMP are well aware that despite years of talk of having are own provincial force that talks have never gone far so they feel a lot more secure in laying down the law in regards to speed
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
I understand your viewpoint, however...that is the main reason I give our last tow vehicle to our son and bought a new, more powerful one. I might be overly sensitive, but I don't like having a string of traffic backed up behind me while going up a hill or mountain. Now, I can keep up with the flow of traffic and not feel like I'm a nuisance to others. This isn't a problem with four-lane roads where I can stay in the right lane and not block traffic, but now I can feel good about taking the more scenic two-lane byways.
I’m with you, brother! (Can I get an Amen?)

I’m definitely not saying this is the case here, I’m just saying that in America, everyone has the right to be a butt-orifice. What they’ve lost sight of is that it’s not a requirement. You can choose not to be one as well. I, too, like to move with the flow and have equipped accordingly. Kudos to those travelling at their own chosen speed and in suitable situations.

Of course, you can’t win. Someone I’m passing thinks I’m driving outrageously. And someone else thinks I’m not going fast enough.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #13

Florida
W.
Glad that you like our rig. We are very happy with it of course planning a few mods when we get home before Nfld.

As to 100kph (62mph) our rig hardly ever reaches that speed though we do drive 60 mph when we get on an Interstate.

Safe and many travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #14

Florida
Steve L. Having a fuel efficient vehicle does not reduce the drive however last year we spent $4,000 on fuel where at 15mpg we would have spent near $6,000, a significant difference to us old retired guys.

I will say if we had to spend 6,000, we still would have made the trip. Loving the travels....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
"The conversation got me thinking about our tow vehicle. I told them that we only averaged towing 30 miles a day over that period and never traveled more than 150 miles in a day."

Can't wait until I can retire and live at such a leisurely pace. I live in Vegas and the family is in Spokane 1150 miles away. I have driven it straight through many many times over the past 15 years.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #16

Florida
Ray, we work to never have a line of traffic behind us, partially the mountain passes we're on have very little traffic and in general we can keep up with most traffic and have passed big trucks, usually pulling rigs with slideouts bigger than our trailer.

If we're on a two lane road, like Oregon's coastal road and are driving the speed limit, we pull over to let others pass, particularly working vehicles.

Practically anywhere we drive we can maintain the speed limit, on Interstates, with their multiple lanes, we choose not to drive at 70. I guess since I've aged and become an RVer I've calmed down a lot. I try to be courteous to the other drivers who have a 'faster' need than me.

As well Ginny and I feel so very fortunate to have the life we do. Of course may places we drive, by the nature of the road, terrain or even the view, we tend to drive slowly. I will say in our next destination the traffic is light, another glory of Newfoundland...trails to hike where the only other creature on the trail might be a moose.

We can't wait to leave for this trip..... now the cost of gas in Nfld will be another matter.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL thats the big difference between BC and Ontario - you have the Ontario Provincial Police we still have the RCMP.
I haven't noticed a difference correlated to enforcement agency, other than the occasional ticket-funded municipality. On Alberta's major highways outside of the National Parks, which have both RCMP and a few Alberta Traffic Sherriffs on speed patrol duty, nothing less than 15 km/h (10 mph) over the 100 or 110 km/h (62 or 68 mph) limit gets a ticket; BC highways usually have lower limits, but seem to have a similar enforcement tolerance.

That means limit enforcement is not directly relevant to most of us towing on those roads, but it does affect the speed of surrounding traffic. Highway 2 between Edmonton and Calgary sees little traffic under 115 km/h (71 mph), and much of that is big commercial rigs and RVs... who can happily run down the right lane on that road without holding up the rest of the traffic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #18

Florida
Steve, When much younger we would drive from CT to Sc at now frightening speeds. In retrospect I'm happy to be able to say it, that nothing negative ever happed, particularly considering that vehicles, tires and brakes wer much less capable than today's.

We really like Spokane and have spent time camping by their river and walking their streets. Really a charming city.

If I had ever known how good the Rv life was I would have retired even earlier. The life of leisure, of exploration, of becoming broader has just been marvelous.

Wishing you a good retirement life....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #19

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray N View Post
You're not going to enjoy the "scenic two lane byways" at 20 over the limit, which is about what it takes to avoid being overtaken by traffic!
I have never towed on any road on which my 4CYL TV couldn't break the speed limit.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #20

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Floyd, Ray has a 17 ft Egg Camper. I'll bet he was wise to upgrade whatever he had. another reason to love our little 13s.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote