Towing Trillium 13 vs. Boler/Scamp style 13 - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 PM   #29

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Clive,

Just noticed your reply (figured out there was a "new posts" button but that was after you posted).

I don't have overload springs on this wagon, but I do plan to get them. Years ago I had an extra leaf added to the rear suspension on my Toyota pickup which had a "slightly overgrown" tall topper. (That was a great rig.) I've also got a set of anti-sway bars I took from a Turbo wagon (at a junkyard) that I've been meaning to install. (Of course the IPD bars look nice.)

I won't forget photos. Actually I need to take photos for my "for sale" ad which I've got to post ASAP (I don't have room for a whole trailer "family" )

Raya

Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 PM   #30

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry

Wow Reya;

You already have the wagon "turbo bars"!

Turbo sway bars are the best bang for the buck you can get in performance mods, especially junkyard ones! I had them on my 83 245 GL (now sold). Once you put them on you'll wish you had done it sooner!

With the overload springs it should make a nicely balanced car. The sedan turbo bars are 23/21mm vs the turbo wagon 23/19mm and can more easily develop oversteer especially with the overload coils (ask me how I know).

I get a lot of my spare parts from the JY too.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #31

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Well as long as we're on the topic: Did you get new bushings when you installed the used bars? If so, did you get stock Volvo rubber, or something like IPD's blue poly ones? I've read concerns about the poly bushings being stiff enough to stress other stock parts, but have no idea if that's warranted.

I'm about due for new rear shocks, so I may treat myself and have the mechanic put the bars on (I think I'm going to give the Boge Turbo Gas a whirl - they're supposed to be one step "up" from the stock Boge Automatics, but nothing too crazy.)

I drove a friend's 92 wagon with the IPD turbo bars, the overload springs, vented rotors, and a 5-speed. No, he wouldn't sell it to me <_<

Raya
Old 10-23-2008, 06:18 PM   #32

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Did you get new bushings when you installed the used bars? If so, did you get stock Volvo rubber, or something like IPD's blue poly ones? I've read concerns about the poly bushings being stiff enough to stress other stock parts, but have no idea if that's warranted.

I'm about due for new rear shocks, so I may treat myself and have the mechanic put the bars on (I think I'm going to give the Boge Turbo Gas a whirl - they're supposed to be one step "up" from the stock Boge Automatics, but nothing too crazy.)

I drove a friend's 92 wagon with the IPD turbo bars, the overload springs, vented rotors, and a 5-speed. No, he wouldn't sell it to me <_<

Raya
It was over 12 years ago that I put the turbo sways on that wagon and now it's sold. In any case my preference would be stock Volvo bushings for that, unless, as you say, you really want to firm up the ride. And yes, I've read that any other weaknesses in your suspension/bushings would be accentuated.

I would also agree with your choice of shocks. I plan on those for my current wagon the next time I need them.

The 92 wagon sounds like fun! I used to enjoy driving a standard tranny (and the 83 245GL was an M46 with O/D) untill I learnt the skill and fun of "power braking"!

Drive safely!
Old 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #33

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
It was over 12 years ago that I put the turbo sways on that wagon and now it's sold. In any case my preference would be stock Volvo bushings for that, unless, as you say, you really want to firm up the ride. And yes, I've read that any other weaknesses in your suspension/bushings would be accentuated.

I would also agree with your choice of shocks. I plan on those for my current wagon the next time I need them.

The 92 wagon sounds like fun! I used to enjoy driving a standard tranny (and the 83 245GL was an M46 with O/D) untill I learnt the skill and fun of "power braking"!

Drive safely!
Hey Clive,
My tv is a '90 240 sedan with standard 5 speed transmission. I love it. What do you recommend suspension wise? I prefer sedans as I haul tools for work and if something isn't visible, nobody knows it is there. This is all related to my tv pulling my 13' Scamp. Thanks, Dan
Old 10-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #34

Florida
Registry
Quote:
Hey Clive,
My tv is a '90 240 sedan with standard 5 speed transmission. I love it. What do you recommend suspension wise? I prefer sedans as I haul tools for work and if something isn't visible, nobody knows it is there. This is all related to my tv pulling my 13' Scamp. Thanks, Dan
Dan, that's great! Another Volvo driver!

This thread seems to be going adrift though perhaps and maybe the Mods will want to split it off?!

To answer you though; I am certainly no expert, I've just had 240's for a while. And it would depend on what you wanted to do with the car.

A 90 is 18 years old so the fist thing I would do if you havn't already is to get it to Stage 0; make sure that all the suspension bushings are in good shape and replace where needed, ball joints, tie rods etc. Good shocks.

For towing I do recommend the rear overload coils, or maybe you want to lower the car with lowering springs.

As I said above, the next best bang for the buck is better (anti) sway bars. Volvo 240 Turbo sedan bars are a really great upgrade and the IPD ones are said to be even better. I have not personally shelled out for them.

I just did the trailing arm bushings and torque rods on my fairly new to me 85 wagon.

I know what you mean about the security though. I have a cargo cover for my wagon.

Tags
boler, scamp, trillium