Towing w/ a Jeep? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-27-2011, 12:03 AM   #15

Name: Jason
Trailer: Boler 13' 1973
British Columbia
Registry
I have been towing with my 1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ for years now from my boat, utility trailer and now our 1973 boler. I have the 4.0L inline 6 cylinder and have no problems towing the boler with it. As a previous poster mentioned watch your braking and distance between other vehicles that goes with any type of vehicle. Double check you manual for your specific towing capacity but I am sure you are rated just fine for the boler. I run 32" tires on my jeep as well and hills are not an issue what so ever. Hope this helps. Good luck....

Old 07-27-2011, 01:59 PM   #16

Trailer: (fiberglass)
towing with a jeep

I towed a uhaul ct 13 with a 2004 wrangler x. and i also towed a 17 casita with the same jeep never had a problem one. 4.0 6cyl. i also towed the uhaull with a honda civic coupe never had a problem. thanks

Old 07-27-2011, 02:59 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
I towed a uhaul ct 13 with a 2004 wrangler x. and i also towed a 17 casita with the same jeep never had a problem one. 4.0 6cyl. i also towed the uhaull with a honda civic coupe never had a problem. thanks
I bet the Honda with its low center of gravity felt more stable than the Jeep, right?
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 AM   #18

Name: Jason
Trailer: Boler 13' 1973
British Columbia
Registry
I also tow with our 2004 subaru impreza but would have to say I would rather use the jeep any day for power and braking. Center of gravity does not matter much.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:19 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
Georgia
Registry
We just bought a Jeep Liberty CRD to tow with. It's rated at 5000lbs and did a great job. Our one and only towing trip w it (so far) got us 21 mpg.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #20

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp Wannabe
Minnesota
Anyone have any experience towing with a Jeep Compass? Tow rating of 2000. Looking to get a Scamp 13, with the bunks/sofa option. Thanks.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #21

Name: Remi
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Merigold View Post
Anyone have any experience towing with a Jeep Compass? Tow rating of 2000. Looking to get a Scamp 13, with the bunks/sofa option. Thanks.
I have towed a lot of thing with my Patriot (same thing than the Compass) : utility trailer full of wood, 4x8 closed cargo trailer, ATV... Plenty of power, but braking is sure a concern. If you can, install electric brakes on your Scamp, and you'll have no problem!
Old 09-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #22

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt scott View Post
Anyone on here use a Jeep to tow your camper?

I recently bought a Jeep but have not taken it on a trip.
We were pulling a 1500 pound Aliner with our 2010 4 door with a 3.8 engine. It had a tow rating of 3,500 lbs. But when we looked at the hitch it only had a rating of 2,000 lbs. The engine was bogging down on hills without the trailer, when we added the trailer, it started jumping gears down really bad. We traded the Wrangler for a Grand Cherokee with a V8 Hemi. We talked to the dealer yesterday, and they are doing away with that engine. I would talk to other people about whatever engine you have, and also have someone check the hitch to see how much it can pull. Some of the hitches are just bolted to the back bumper. This whole thing turned into a real bummer for us. Hope you come out better.
Laura June
Old 09-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #23

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Scamp Wannabe
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rémi A. View Post
I have towed a lot of thing with my Patriot (same thing than the Compass) : utility trailer full of wood, 4x8 closed cargo trailer, ATV... Plenty of power, but braking is sure a concern. If you can, install electric brakes on your Scamp, and you'll have no problem!
Thanks Remi for the response. After second thought I feel we would be best to get something that can tow at least 3500. So far we're looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Honda Pilot, both vehicles should not have a problem with towing a small Scamp 13.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #24

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Merigold View Post
Thanks Remi for the response. After second thought I feel we would be best to get something that can tow at least 3500. So far we're looking at the Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Honda Pilot, both vehicles should not have a problem with towing a small Scamp 13.
I just bought a Jeep Liberty, a couple of $$grand less than than the Grand Cherokee, it still has 500/5000 lbs towing.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:55 AM   #25

Name: Laura
Trailer: Winnebago
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I just bought a Jeep Liberty, a couple of $$grand less than than the Grand Cherokee, 500/5000 lbs towing.
Sounds like you made a good choice
Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #26

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura June View Post
We were pulling a 1500 pound Aliner with our 2010 4 door with a 3.8 engine. It had a tow rating of 3,500 lbs. But when we looked at the hitch it only had a rating of 2,000 lbs. The engine was bogging down on hills without the trailer, when we added the trailer, it started jumping gears down really bad. We traded the Wrangler for a Grand Cherokee with a V8 Hemi. We talked to the dealer yesterday, and they are doing away with that engine. I would talk to other people about whatever engine you have, and also have someone check the hitch to see how much it can pull. Some of the hitches are just bolted to the back bumper. This whole thing turned into a real bummer for us. Hope you come out better.
Laura June
Holy cow! A 3.8 liter engine is having trouble keeping up without a trailer? Sounds like they didn't choose the right gear ratios! I towed my Scamp with a 1.8 liter engine and kept it in 5th gear almost all of the time... occasionally dropping to 4th gear on long uphills. I am thrilled to have a car with a BIG 2.5 liter engine now, so towing will be much easier.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:53 PM   #27

Trailer: 1970 Boler
our Liberty (2002) towed our Boler better than my '93 Dakota with the 5.2 V8 (318). I suspect the transmission ratios were way better and it even head better stopping power.