Towing with 03 Montana...suggestions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 AM   #15
Trailer: 2002 13 ft Casita

This is an interesting thread. I tow my 13' casita with a 02 extended cab Dodge Dakota with a V8 engine. I know the size of the rig may well be overkill for the size of my trailer, but I feel safer with a bigger tow rig. I know that I can go up a hill, or get out of a tight spot much easier with the bigger rig. I feel safer and less dangerous with the bigger tow. I know that it's not as fuel efficient, but I feel much safer. I have towed it to Colorado, Oklahoma and back without difficulty.

Kathy Davisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:06 AM   #16
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Hi Todd,

We have a basic (no fridg, air conditioner, water) Scamp 13 that weighs in at about 1600 lbs. We are very comfortable towing with our mini van with 3500 tow weight capacity.

Recently we considered going up in size to the 16. After visiting the Scamp factory and seeing how huge they seem compared to our last generation 13 we decided that we really like our Scamp 13 and have no desire to go up a size.

We too like having the extra power. By keeping our weight down we do have the option of a couple of 4 cylinder cars out there; not many by my standards, but we are more flexible than if we move to the 16 or even a heavily loaded 13.

I am also very glad that we have the standard 13 with bunk in front instead of the private toilet. I would love a privacy room, but much prefer the elbow room.

The 13 seems more friendly for two people to pass each other too, it just seems a bit larger in the center area.

The 13 will make a very adequate dog house.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #17
Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey

Forgot to mention that the reason we really feel comfortable with the low weight Scamp to our mini van is that we do take cross country trips over mountains.

If we ever do downsize to a smaller tow vehicle we will no longer feel comfortable about crossing the mountains.

If we just towed locally and not often, then I would consider a tow vehicle with a 2,000 lb limit for my bare bones 1,600 lb Scamp.

Just our opinion.

Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #18
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Can a GM engineer do this??.........

Notice the driver is on the rig! they moved the steering column and foot controls!

Just to let you know I CAN see your perspective! [lol]

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote