towing with 2001 CRV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-04-2014, 11:45 AM   #15

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
If anyone's wondering the email I send when asked is just at 10,000 characters and is really too much for a single post.

As to mountain passes, at least our Honda with its manual transmission, has had no issues. No we're not cruising up the passes at 60 mph however we seem to do as well as most people towing. In reality, though we've crossed the Rockies numerous times, the high mountain passes represent a small percentage of our driving.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51 AM   #16

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
If anyone's wondering the email I send when asked is just at 10,000 characters and is really too much for a single post.

As to mountain passes, at least our Honda with its manual transmission, has had no issues. No we're not cruising up the passes at 60 mph however we seem to do as well as most people towing. In reality, though we've crossed the Rockies numerous times, the high mountain passes represent a small percentage of our driving.
What happened Norm to your saving the members here from doctors bills resulting from rising blood pressure?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
1st, 2nd and 3rd Generation CRVs

I admit to not being familiar with the 1st generation CRV.

It turns out that the dimensions of each generation of CRV are virtually the same, 103" wheel base, 70 inch width. In appearance each generation looks larger, particularly in frontal area and tire size. Most importantly each year the CRV engine seems to gain horsepower and torque and at the same time marginally better miles per gallon.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #18

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Differences between the 2001 and 2004 CRV can be plainly seen at Honda's specs pages for the two vehicles:
Click here for 2001 CRV
Click here for 2004 CRV

In addition to the significantly greater torque/horsepower provided by the (completely different) engine in the 2004, there were changes made to suspension components that in my opinion constitute an improvement/major difference between the two generations, at least so far as towing is concerned.

Generational differences is a subject of much interest to me since I, too, am a small-tower, in my case using a first-gen. Kia Sportage that's approaching replacement time. (bought at 47,000 miles; now 210,000 miles; of those perhaps 50,000 towing.) Unfortunately for me, Kia went the OTHER direction with the Sportage- more recent incarnations haven't the features that make my '97 such an economical shift-on-the-fly-4x4 daily driver that can also tow my Trillium very efficiently.

I'm now shopping for a low mileage in-kind replacement for this first-gen Kia, which generation ended with the 2002 model year.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Ditto RAV4. It is no longer capable of towing much of anything ( 1,500 lb ).
Old 02-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #20

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I guess I am in the same relative boat with my Tundra!?

At first they were the smaller alternative full size pickup but then in 2007 something went very,very wrong?

Now the Tacoma is only a little smaller than my Tundra and the current Tundra are beasts!

Well I am content with my Mini Beast as I am on my second one!

I know the CRV were initially a direct graft almost too small and underpowered as was the Rav4 but both have gotten gradually bigger and more powerful with each iteration.

I might even snag one just like Norms if I could find a nice one with the Manual Tranny but they are few and far between for sure.

I still wold not tow with it but it would be nice for other daily driving I have a feeling.

On the other hand my Sprinter is not that comfy but does get near 30mpg every tank.

Go figure?
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #21

Name: Dan
Trailer: in the market
Virginia
Thanks to all for the quick replys, suggestions, and tips. All is helpful as we make decisions about campers and our vehicle.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #22

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I've been looking at an Nissan XTerra. For less money than most comparable SUVs, you can get a fully loaded 4x4 that's capable of towing 5000#.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
I've been looking at an Nissan XTerra. For less money than most comparable SUVs, you can get a fully loaded 4x4 that's capable of towing 5000#.
I have a Frontier which shares many drive train components with the Xterra. We choose the 4 door version of the pick up over the Xterra because it was cheaper. The Xterra is Nissans answer to the Jeep CJ and the Toyota FJ Cruiser. All three are designed for serious off road use should you wish to so. Like my pickup, it's body on frame as opposed to a unibody construction like most SUVs, so the ride will be more truck like. That said I find the ride of my Frontier quite comfortable. It will certainly pull any of the trailers seen on this forum with the exception of the fifth wheels. Happy shopping, Raz
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #24

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Like my pickup, it's body on frame as opposed to a unibody construction like most SUVs, so the ride will be more truck like. That said I find the ride of my Frontier quite comfortable.
I also have a Frontier and I find its ride is actually as good if not better than my 07 Subaru Outback.... not sure if that is due to have the PRO4X model Frontier which does have beefed up shocks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #25
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I also have a Frontier and I find its ride is actually as good if not better than my 07 Subaru Outback.... not sure if that is due to have the PRO4X model Frontier which does have beefed up shocks.
That's the one for climbing boulders as I recall.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #26

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Carol, Raz -- I got a 2012 (bought in 2013) Nissan Pathfinder SV precisely because I wanted the body on frame and 2012 was the last year Nissan used that on its Pathfinders. It's more off-road than most SUVs but is very comfortable to drive. 6000 pound towing load. Same mpg on hwy with/without the Scamp in back (20-22) but drops more when towing in heavy winds (17-18). I "almost" got the xterra, but the deal I got on this Pathfinder was too good to pass up, or that's how I interpreted it. I sit high in it as with a truck, and I kind of like that.

S.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #27

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
We have the owner of a highly respected auto repair garage here in Vancouver who appears on CBC radio from time to time to help people with mechanical problems. I've only heard him once tell somebody to steer clear of a particular vehicle, and that was the Xterra.
It was a model I would have considered, having owned a couple Nissan pickups, but not now.
Suggest a lot of research before making that purchase.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #28
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
We have the owner of a highly respected auto repair garage here in Vancouver who appears on CBC radio from time to time to help people with mechanical problems. I've only heard him once tell somebody to steer clear of a particular vehicle, and that was the Xterra.
It was a model I would have considered, having owned a couple Nissan pickups, but not now.
Suggest a lot of research before making that purchase.
Early models of the Xterra, Frontier, and Pathfinder with automatic transmission had a radiator issue that allowed coolant to mix with the transmission fluid resulting a destroyed transmission. It took a class action law suit to get Nissan to do something. They extended the warranty on 2005-2010 models although the problem has not showed up after 2007. The vehicles have an auxiliary transmission cooler so most folks bypass the radiator cooler and avoid the problem on the effected model years. That is most likely why your radio guy is concerned. Folks who own Honda Ridgelines are running into the same issue. Raz