towing with 2001 CRV - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #21

Name: Dan
Trailer: in the market
Virginia
Thanks to all for the quick replys, suggestions, and tips. All is helpful as we make decisions about campers and our vehicle.
Dan Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #22

Name: Deborah
Trailer: Prius camping - want an Oliver
Virginia
I've been looking at an Nissan XTerra. For less money than most comparable SUVs, you can get a fully loaded 4x4 that's capable of towing 5000#.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:53 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by blodn1 View Post
I've been looking at an Nissan XTerra. For less money than most comparable SUVs, you can get a fully loaded 4x4 that's capable of towing 5000#.
I have a Frontier which shares many drive train components with the Xterra. We choose the 4 door version of the pick up over the Xterra because it was cheaper. The Xterra is Nissans answer to the Jeep CJ and the Toyota FJ Cruiser. All three are designed for serious off road use should you wish to so. Like my pickup, it's body on frame as opposed to a unibody construction like most SUVs, so the ride will be more truck like. That said I find the ride of my Frontier quite comfortable. It will certainly pull any of the trailers seen on this forum with the exception of the fifth wheels. Happy shopping, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #24

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Like my pickup, it's body on frame as opposed to a unibody construction like most SUVs, so the ride will be more truck like. That said I find the ride of my Frontier quite comfortable.
I also have a Frontier and I find its ride is actually as good if not better than my 07 Subaru Outback.... not sure if that is due to have the PRO4X model Frontier which does have beefed up shocks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:15 PM   #25
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I also have a Frontier and I find its ride is actually as good if not better than my 07 Subaru Outback.... not sure if that is due to have the PRO4X model Frontier which does have beefed up shocks.
That's the one for climbing boulders as I recall.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #26

Name: Sharon
Trailer: Chez Nous - a 2011 Scamp 16'
Texas
Carol, Raz -- I got a 2012 (bought in 2013) Nissan Pathfinder SV precisely because I wanted the body on frame and 2012 was the last year Nissan used that on its Pathfinders. It's more off-road than most SUVs but is very comfortable to drive. 6000 pound towing load. Same mpg on hwy with/without the Scamp in back (20-22) but drops more when towing in heavy winds (17-18). I "almost" got the xterra, but the deal I got on this Pathfinder was too good to pass up, or that's how I interpreted it. I sit high in it as with a truck, and I kind of like that.

S.
SharonM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
We have the owner of a highly respected auto repair garage here in Vancouver who appears on CBC radio from time to time to help people with mechanical problems. I've only heard him once tell somebody to steer clear of a particular vehicle, and that was the Xterra.
It was a model I would have considered, having owned a couple Nissan pickups, but not now.
Suggest a lot of research before making that purchase.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #28
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
We have the owner of a highly respected auto repair garage here in Vancouver who appears on CBC radio from time to time to help people with mechanical problems. I've only heard him once tell somebody to steer clear of a particular vehicle, and that was the Xterra.
It was a model I would have considered, having owned a couple Nissan pickups, but not now.
Suggest a lot of research before making that purchase.
Early models of the Xterra, Frontier, and Pathfinder with automatic transmission had a radiator issue that allowed coolant to mix with the transmission fluid resulting a destroyed transmission. It took a class action law suit to get Nissan to do something. They extended the warranty on 2005-2010 models although the problem has not showed up after 2007. The vehicles have an auxiliary transmission cooler so most folks bypass the radiator cooler and avoid the problem on the effected model years. That is most likely why your radio guy is concerned. Folks who own Honda Ridgelines are running into the same issue. Raz
Old 02-05-2014, 02:18 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Excellent. Thanks Raz.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #30

Registry
Pretty sure Raz, has the story correct as to why in years gone what the primary issues with the Nissan's was. Not as I understand it an issue for the past 7 years or so. While doing my research on my current truck I discovered that many of the so called auto experts actually have been rated the Frontier above the Tacoma for the past few years.

As a side note had I not gone the truck route I would have and actually did want a Toyota Highlander. Lots of folks here tow with them and are very happy with how well they tow. Unfortunately I had a set budget and couldn't find one gentle enough used for my liking or budget.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #31
Raz

For what it's worth all vehicles have forums that are great for finding where the issues are on vehicles. The Frontier forum has a very long thread on the radiator issue and complete instructions on how to bypass including a discussion on the pros and cons. Be aware it's not quite as family oriented as this forum as the clientele is mostly young and male. Raz
Old 02-05-2014, 02:58 PM   #32

Registry
Quote:
That's the one for climbing boulders as I recall.
Yup thats the one - also good for driving over small cars in city parking lots
Hoping its also good for no rear sag should I upgrade to a slightly bigger trailer with heavier tongue weight.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #33
Raz

Quote:
Yup thats the one - also good for driving over small cars in city parking lots
Hoping its also good for no rear sag should I upgrade to a slightly bigger trailer with heavier tongue weight.
Alf says his Frontier pulls his Escape 5.0 very well so I'm sure it will do likewise with yours.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Alf says his Frontier pulls his Escape 5.0 very well so I'm sure it will do likewise with yours.
I agree,the Scamp factory delivers the 19 with Ranger pickups and not the bigger motor models either.

The whole idea of the 5th wheel is to optimize towing as distributing the load from the rear axle unlike any towed trailer and I understand it makes for a much easier and trouble free tow.

The few Frontier I have seen towing small 5ers look to confirm this.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:40 PM   #35

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:

I'm worried about you, Carol...before you went to the pickup-as-tug Darkside you'd have used the quality-neutral word "upSIZE" with reference to bigger trailers.

Please tell me you haven't become one of the bigger-is-better crowd... ...
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #36

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
It all boils down to once you go over rated tow capacity much of the burden to make it work falls to YOU.

Norm has taken on that responsibility and using skill, knowledge and experience put together something that works for the specific way he and Ginny travel and camp. The whole thing works because all of the specific pieces fit together and function.

I'm sure he will communicate this directly to you honestly and answer any questions you might have.

I would be very honest with yourself when assessing your own skill, knowledge and experience with towing, and how you will use the camper. Incorporate that in making a decision based on the information from Norm.

I will drive vehicles and in situations or weather my wife would not even consider, she is a good driver, as am I but that is partly because knows where her comfort zone is, and it is different than mine. Just as your comfort zone may be different than Norms.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #37

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
My parents towed large camper all around Colorado where they lived with a small pickup. Might have been a Datsun. I recall looking at the engine and thinking it looked like a sewing machine. BUT had a creaper 1st gear and high torque lower gears, extra cooling, brakes and beefy suspension.

The total package really matters. More than engine size or stated tow capacity.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:48 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Not a surprise, as it happens many a time, but we are getting well off track frin the OP's original question, and that is about towing with the 2001 CRV.

Maybe we could start a new thead with the additional discussion if desired, as there is merit to it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #39

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We tow our 13' Uhaul with a 2003 CRV, 4cyl, auto trans. Trailer weight is about 1500lb, which is what the car is rated for. I don't know how much difference there is between the 2001 and 2003. Our CRV handles the Uhaul very well. We were looking at a Scamp 16. It had two 20lb propane tanks and a battery on the tongue. We hooked it to our car, and the rear of the car dropped about 2 inches. I felt this was too much tongue weight for the car, and perhaps also for the hitch which is held on with 4 bolts and a U clamp. Now I could have removed the propane tanks, relocated the battery, and decreased the tongue weight and got away with it, but what I can do, and what I should do just didn't line up in this case in my opinion. We did not buy the Scamp. Talked to a Scamp 16 owner today who said his weighed around 2500 loaded.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 PM   #40

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
We tow our 13' Uhaul with a 2003 CRV, 4cyl, auto trans. Trailer weight is about 1500lb, which is what the car is rated for. I don't know how much difference there is between the 2001 and 2003. Our CRV handles the Uhaul very well.
First gen CRV's were made through model year 2001. That's what the O.P. has. Yours (like Norm's) is second generation, which has 50% more stated tow capacity than the earlier model. Despite having the same name, these are not the same cars. I just hope the O.P.'s getting that point!

CRV generational breakdown at this link.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote